Problem!!! First time shooting my kimber ultra

This is a discussion on Problem!!! First time shooting my kimber ultra within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I went to the range (outdoor Fl.) today to start the break-in period of my new ultra carry. Let me start off by ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem!!! First time shooting my kimber ultra

Hey guys,

I went to the range (outdoor Fl.) today to start the break-in period of my new ultra carry.

Let me start off by writing that beside the anomaly the gun was accurate even the laser, and just great to shoot, with a kick. I love it!

I'm was using kimber pro-tec SS magazines,Remington Ammo 230 FMJ, I cleaned the gun prior to shooting, I have been shooting(1st. time kimber,1911) for over 20+ years.

So the problem that happened about 5 times (I Have included a picture of what I was seeing.)

The Slide was locking back open with rounds still in the magazine.
    This happened with 3 different mags even the kimber mag(non Pro-tec) came with the gun.

Even the range officer look at it and said that "Kimbers are tight when new"

I went back to gander to see what they though.. one guy said maybe the mags? maybe it's just the break-in period? but he told me to bring the kimber in so the Gunsmith can look at it just in case.

I shot 100 rounds

What do you all think?
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Moto
    Attached Images

By the position of the top round in the pic, I'd guess you're hitting the slide stop with your offhand thumb firing two handed. just a thought.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

eldorado - my Taurus PT145 did the same thing with both mags and it didn't matter what type of ammo I was using. To make a long story short, I've read that shorter barreled guns can be sensitive to proper grip - if the grip is not strong enough, the gun's muzzle flips up too easily and the slide looses energy that it otherwise needs to cycle properly. My rounds "nosedived" just like your photos until I learned to keep a very firm grip and not allow the muzzle to flip up too much. Try it and let me know what you find. Certainly is cheaper and easier to test it on the range, than to loose your gun to the gunsmith for several days.

I had this same problem with my Eclipse Ultra, its caused by the slide stop having too much metal that touches the bullet. Call Kimber and tell them you need a modifided slide stop.

I was having this problem once with a Smith 9MM. Turned out I was accidentally hitting the slide stop with my left thumb during recoil. I now lock my left thumb down with my right thumb. Problem solved.
    God & Guns!

I had the same thing with my new XDm...and stupid me was hitting the slide-stop as others have mentioned.

I had some of the same problems with my CDP Pro when I first bought it. I haven't done anything but keep shooting, no gunsmiths or calls etc. I'm now around about 700 rounds and have no more problems. The problems stopped around 300 rounds for me. I would try some different mags and just keep shooting. It will take a little time to break it in. My buddy bought the same gun as I have and his has acted exactly like mine. Shot 150 rounds through mine this weekend without a single hiccup. The more I shoot it, the smoother it gets.

My Pro Carry II was doing the same thing (and some other stuff) after I finished the recommended break in period, so I sent it back to Kimber. It has been flawless since it came back.

My recommendations would be:

1. Watch your grip just to be sure it is not you.

2. At only 100 rounds, you should finish the break in period to see if the problem corrects itself.

3. If your still having problems after the break in, I'd send it back to Kimber for an overhaul.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

From the pic, it looks a lot like what was happening to my Tactical Ultra II. is the round lodging right on the edge of the ramp?. I sent mine back to Kimber, they put 7 mags through it, replaced the slide, adjusted the spring, did some minor grinding inside, tested with 7 more mags, and send it back to me, free of charge. This was kinda awesome since I bought the gun used. Anyway, its performed flawlessly since its return to me through 250 rounds.

Sounds like classic "limp wristing" to me. Do you have a rest you can mount the gun in?

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Sounds like classic "limp wristing" to me. Do you have a rest you can mount the gun in?

NCH
    Classic limp wristing ?? Ok.... and your clues as to that being the case are???

Anyways, what I'd suggest is have someone watch your hands as you shoot as I'm betting couple of the previous posters are right: you're tripping the slide stop every so often.

Malfunctions

The two most common causes of that are ammo in the magazine hitting the slide stop or your hand engaging it by accident. Try some JHP and see if that makes a difference, rounds with a shorter OAL may not hit the stop. Also consider shooting it weak-handed or by carefully watching your grip.

And if you get near Daytona, PM me. I can fix it if it's the slide stop. There are a couple of tricks and it won't cost you much.

Thanks to all that replied,
    It was my grip! I have not had any more trouble with the slide locking back... I'm pass the 500 round point flawless & accurate.
    -Moto

Kimbers do need extra care prior to several hundred rounds, but it sounds like you found the problem.

My Ultra CDP II is my EDC...and I have no problems with it. It is more accurate than I am...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado View Post
    Thanks to all that replied,
    It was my grip! I have not had any more trouble with the slide locking back... I'm pass the 500 round point flawless & accurate.
    -Moto
    Congrats, enjoy your new pistol.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links