Springfield Champions versus Ultra Compacts - Page 2

Springfield Champions versus Ultra Compacts

This is a discussion on Springfield Champions versus Ultra Compacts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I did do some checking with Springfield. They've definitely limited their options on the smaller frames. Everything is regular large frame down to and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Springfield Champions versus Ultra Compacts

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Well I did do some checking with Springfield. They've definitely limited their options on the smaller frames. Everything is regular large frame down to and including the champion. Then it drops to their Ultra-compact and Micro which have the same frame and a 3.5" and 3" barrel respectively. The finishes you see on the web site are all they produce in. At least a few years ago they produced a micro in their Army Kote finish and it was a fine looking piece. The Ultra-Compact has a shiny stainless finish that I don't care for but it can be satin finished to make it more matte if you pay them for it. I didn't ask about the bead blasting finish. I'm not sure if you can do that on a parkerized weapon and get back to some type of satin metal finish.

So it's basically the Ultra-Compact in it's one stainless configuration or the bi-tone micro. That's it, or I look at other makes.

I looked at the Colt Defender and read great reviews on it but it's considerably heavier and it just doesn't look as good as the SA's in my simple opinion. So I guess I decide if I'm willing to take a chance on the Bi-tone micro and hope I get a good one, or at least can get it to run great with only one trip to SA. I like the kimbers too but I went again and held them and they definitely feel different in my hand and I don't like the fit nearly as well as SA. Wierd hugh! Guess I'll just have to think it over till the bonus comes in!

Thanks guys for all of the inputs!

God Bless

Gideon

Gideon, if you happen across an Ultra Compact Hi-cap keep in mind that aftermarket grips are completely unavailable. The factory grips on mine actually started to curl around the edges (very thin rubberlike material), I looked everywhere and couldn't find a single set - not even from custom makers! Doesn't make sense because you can buy them for Para Ord - go figure.
    Jack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links