New Kel Tec shooting for Rohrbaugh R9 / Kahr PM9?

This is a discussion on New Kel Tec shooting for Rohrbaugh R9 / Kahr PM9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; KEL-TEC PF-9 PRESS RELEASE. http://www.kel-tec.com/pf9pr.htm "Introducing the PF-9 flat 9mm Pistol" http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaB...num=1139502631 From a comment on the KTOG thread (not sure if accurate): -------------------OAL....Bbl........H.........W.........WT.....Cap Kel ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Kel Tec shooting for Rohrbaugh R9 / Kahr PM9?

KEL-TEC PF-9 PRESS RELEASE.
    http://www.kel-tec.com/pf9pr.htm

"Introducing the PF-9 flat 9mm Pistol"
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaB...num=1139502631

From a comment on the KTOG thread (not sure if accurate):

-------------------OAL....Bbl........H.........W.........WT.....Cap
    Kel Tec PF-9 9 ..5.85...3.1.......4.3....0.880.....12.7....7+1
    Rohrb R9 9........5.20...2.9.......3.7....0.812.....12.8... .6+1

Now this is interesting. If they can make it run out of the box (even if the trigger is a little gritty or something) they could really have something there.

The R9 is cost prohibitive and the Kahr is more affordable but not cheap and has lousy warranty service apparently.

I'd like to see if it has too many buttons, controls, or sharp edges to snag. I can't look at the links right now but I will later.

Looks like a good alternative to the Kahr, the price is right, can't go wrong for $300! Now they just need to make it chambered for .40

Assistant Administrator
    Hi Brian Don't forget - soon be time for a Weds pm shoot ya know Just shout!

Wow - this sure is a move, and probably stimulated by the R9 type of package as a principle.

I guess it could do well - tho leaving aside the cost differential, the R9 is still a totally different animal. However, what with this and the Skyy - there sure are now a boatload of pocket pieces around.

Be interesting to see where this slots in, re the popularity hierachy.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Now this is interesting. If they can make it run out of the box (even if the trigger is a little gritty or something) they could really have something there.

The R9 is cost prohibitive and the Kahr is more affordable but not cheap and has lousy warranty service apparently.

I'd like to see if it has too many buttons, controls, or sharp edges to snag. I can't look at the links right now but I will later.
    According to Kel-Tec:

The PF-9 is a semi-automatic, locked breech pistol, chambered for the 9 mm Luger cartridge. It has been developed from our highly successful P-11 and P-3AT pistols with maximum concealability in mind. The PF-9 has a single stack magazine holding 7 rounds. It is the lightest and flattest 9 mm ever made. Firing mechanism is Double-Action Only with an automatic hammer block safety. The PF-9 will be available in blued, parkerized, and hard chrome finishes. Grips will be in black, grey, and olive drab.

The PF-9 retains the best features from our P-11 and P-3AT pistols combined into the flattest and lightest single stack 9mm configuration ever made. The barrel, locking system, slide stop, assembly pin, front sight, recoil springs and guide rod are adapted from the P-11. The PF-9 is nearly identical to the P-11 in length and height and shares the same exterior controls. The shorter trigger system with integral hammer block and the extraction system are adapted from the P-3AT. Just like the P-11, the PF-9 will accept +P ammunition, however, not with continuous use.

The rear sight is a new design and is adjustable for windage with the supplied allen wrench as well as for elevation with the use of shims (not included). The included 7 round rectangular magazine is supplied with a finger extension base plate and numbered holes. The under barrel accessory rail shares the dimensions of the MIL-STD-1913 picatinny rail although there is only one locking notch in the forward position.

It appears to have no external safety or other external controls except a slide lock and mag release.

If they improved the trigger over the P-11 (had one, got rid of it) and the reliability of the P-3AT (had one, got rid of it) , I think they probably have a real winner here.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Wow. If Kel-Tec has learned from their experiences with the P3AT, 1st and 2nd Generations, they could have a real winner on their hand. Cheap ammo, inexpensive gun. If it turns out to be reliable I'll pick on up to use as a large pocket pistol instead of my P3AT. I'd been thinking of someday getting a Kahr PM9 for that purpose but I think I'll wait and see how this gun performs. I worry about the extraction but it is their 2nd generation extraction system...looks like it only has a slide release and a mag release like their P3AT and the sights look decent enough too!

Could be a decent entry level hand gun. I had my P3AT hard chromed back when Kel-Tec offered that and it does make for a good finish but I think I like the sound of a parkarized version!

We'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Hi Brian Don't forget - soon be time for a Weds pm shoot ya know Just shout!

Wow - this sure is a move, and probably stimulated by the R9 type of package as a principle.

I guess it could do well - tho leaving aside the cost differential, the R9 is still a totally different animal. However, what with this and the Skyy - there sure are now a boatload of pocket pieces around.

Be interesting to see where this slots in, re the popularity hierachy.
    The folks on the Kel Tec forums (KTRange, KTOG) have been crying for a single stack 9mm for several years, and Kel Tec apparently payed attention to their customer base.

Good move on their part. I'm going to get one of these as soon as its available, knowing that even if it has bugs early on, the Kel Tec customer service will make it right, no questions asked.

I had one of the first 50 P-3ATs that was available to the public, and never had any problems with it, however.

Looking forward to shooting with you soon, I haven't fogotten!

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon
    If it turns out to be reliable I'll pick one up to use as a large pocket pistol instead of my P3AT.
    My thoughts exactly. (I do miss my P-3AT for pocket carry.)

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I wonder if the slide will lock to the rear after the last shot? That's one thing I never liked about my P3AT. I know we should count rounds but I was always trying to pull the trigger on an empty chamber. I hope it does lock to the rear! Anyone know?

Gideon

I guess it could do well - tho leaving aside the cost differential, the R9 is still a totally different animal.
    Oh, definitely. There's just no real comparison between a Rohrbaugh and a Kel Tec.

Interestingly though, Kel Tec was obviously shooting for the size comparison with the R9, specifically the width.

It was pointed out by Kel Tec's rep over at KTOG, that while their new single stack is 0.880 wide,

Actually the Rohrbaugh is .91" Overall width. (the SLIDE width is .812" ). The rohrbaugh is smaller than the PF-9 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon
    I wonder if the slide will lock to the rear after the last shot? That's one thing I never liked about my P3AT. I know we should count rounds but I was always trying to pull the trigger on an empty chamber. I hope it does lock to the rear! Anyone know?

Gideon
    Sounds like it will lock to the rear (or am I reading this wrong?):

The PF-9 retains the best features from our P-11 and P-3AT pistols combined into the flattest and lightest single stack 9mm configuration ever made. The barrel, locking system, slide stop, assembly pin, front sight, recoil springs and guide rod are adapted from the P-11.

Assistant Administrator
    I hope it does lock to the rear! Anyone know?
    Gideon - I very much doubt it. Because the R9 has no slide lock lever - mainly I guess to help maintain the slim profile - I would expect the KT to be same.

It would be nice tho I admit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ahhh - rethink - had missed that Brian - so maybe it will then.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Ahhh - rethink - had missed that Brian - so maybe it will then.
    I think its an important question, so I just PMed the Kel Tec rep over at KTOG. Hopefully we'll get an answer straight from the horse's mouth.

Edited to add:

On the other hand, does the fact that it has an external slide stop automatically mean the slide will lock to the rear after the last shot? Maybe i asked a "stupid question."

I'm a big kel-Tec fan, love my p11, p3at. and will give it a go.
    All togeather now

The photo shows the standard slide lock, just like on the P11. I'd guess that it does lock open after the last shot. It's really just a function of the magazine, once the notch is cut in the slide and the lever is in place on the frame.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links