Sell me on a high quality auto!

This is a discussion on Sell me on a high quality auto! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What I am looking for - - .40 S&W - size of a Glock 23 ish... not full sized, but not sub compact. - high ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sell me on a high quality auto!

Sell me on a high quality auto!

What I am looking for -
    - .40 S&W
    - size of a Glock 23 ish... not full sized, but not sub compact.
    - high end gun, I already own a Glock 22 and a Springfield XDm. so I have the mid level combat guns taken care of.
    - At some point in time I would like to be able to switch to .357 sig.
    - Something SEXY! like I said, I already have some ugly workhorses ( I know they are beautiful in thier own ways).
    - Other guns either already on my list, or I already own.
    - Ruger .454 Casull
    - .357 Smith and Wesson 340M&P with Crimson trace grips.
    - Wilson Combat CQB Elite in 10mm.

Price is not really an issue as my loving wife has given me the OKEY DOKEY to spoil myself since we have had a great year financially. For the high end guns I dont really know where to start, I have browsed around the Sig website to get started, but I really dont have any direction right now. Please sell me on some guns!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    How about the SIG P226 Elite in .40 S&W? Just swap barrels to convert to .357 SIG.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Ok, so SIG P226 line - there are like 15 different guns in the line, what distinguishes the P226 elite from the P226?

226? Didn't USMC ask for "not full sized, but not subcompact...."

I recommend checking out the Sig 2340. It's about the same size as the 229. I think that is close to your preferred size range.

The 2340 can change between 40 and 357 with just a barrel swap. It is a tad bigger than a G23.

The H&K P2000 in .40 S&W is directly convertible to .357 Sig w/the addition of only a barrel.

Heckler&Koch

I have had a P2000 in 9mm. for 2 years w/ 3,000 rnds thru it w/out a malfunction of any kind. I love it.

Depending on where you look, they are priced between $700-$850.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    How about the SIG P226 Elite in .40 S&W? Just swap barrels to convert to .357 SIG.

That's the one I was gonna say but the "Carry" version!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Administrator
    The only gun that comes to mind that fits all of your wishlist is the Sig 229. The 226 is a fullsize gun, you specifically stated you want a midsize.

If it were me, I'd look at the purchase as a total package. I wouldnt blow my entire budget on a fancy pretty gun. I'd buy the base 229 with maybe a different trigger installed with night sights. Then buy a sweet carry rig for it and a good amount of mags. In the long run, you'll have a much more useful purchase than some heavy, fancy gold plated BBQ gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    +1 on the SIG 229, if that is still to big for you take a look at the 239.

The 226, 229 and 239 are all available in .40, and a barrel swap away from 357 SIG. (And there is always the newer modular SIG 250! )
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

229 SAS, Kinda fancy but still probably enough left over to buy yourself a nice carry rig as SIXTO suggested...maybe a nice Beltman, and a HBE holster, or whatever you prefer.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Hmmm 229 huh? I will look into it and get back with you all later today.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

You really can't beat the Sig P229 for a compact .40 cal. As others have said, the P226 is a full size and the P229 is compact. The P239 is a sub-compact so you probably don't want that as you said. Here are some pics, the differences include different trigger systems on a few, other than that, they are the same guns except looks. The SAS version is also de-horned. Aren't they beautiful?!?!?!
    Attached Images
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Did somebody say CQB? Not sure if you have one, or it was "already on the list". Get's my vote every time. And nearly every day for carry too. YMMV.

Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    You can spend a lot more on a good Sig or H & K, but in my opinion, you will not get a higher quality gun than the Glock 23 or 27 or, the S&W M &P in .40 S&W caliber.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

+1 on the 229. If you want her to look sexier, not that she doesn't already, make sure to get the accessory rail as well!
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    You really can't beat the Sig P229 for a compact .40 cal. As others have said, the P226 is a full size and the P229 is compact. The P239 is a sub-compact so you probably don't want that as you said. Here are some pics, the differences include different trigger systems on a few, other than that, they are the same guns except looks. The SAS version is also de-horned. Aren't they beautiful?!?!?!
    OOOOH...forgot about that Equinox...also very nice. Love the contrast in the finishes.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links