Springfield 1911-A1 GI .45

This is a discussion on Springfield 1911-A1 GI .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been debating about trading my Glock 36 for a Springfield 1911 GI. Has anyone had any experience with these guns? Being a Springfield I ...

Thread: Springfield 1911-A1 GI .45

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Springfield 1911-A1 GI .45

I've been debating about trading my Glock 36 for a Springfield 1911 GI.

Has anyone had any experience with these guns? Being a Springfield I know its a quality gun, I just want a review before I trade my Glock and/or buy a new one outright.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

I have one and it is a nice piece, as is your 36, while I don't presently own a glock, be sure you are willing to give up the light weight of the 36 for the all steel Springfield. I carry a fullsize 1911 every day and in the evening as well, with the understanding that I could carry a lighter weapon, I appreciated the handling, history, and shootability of the 1911. Had a 36, and sold it to buy a 1911, but will probably get a 36 again someday.

Have one. Love it. Carried it daily for two years. (Switched to an XD about two years ago.)
    It's a GI 1911. It's heavier then your Glock, but you can use it as a beating stick if things go wrong. It's got a much lower capacity then your Glock, but it's also thin. No, I mean really thin. Like supermodel thin. I never had trouble concealing it and I'm 5'10" and 160lbs.
    If you've got any other questions let me know.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

The GI 45 is an excellent point and shoot handgun. The low profile sights leave something to be desired but being that most sd encounters are usually 10 ft and under they do their job. I have about 800 rounds though mine with 2 failures due to limp wrist during a rapid fire drill. BTW what is a great IWB holster or OWB high riding holster for a full size 1911.

I carried in a Galco Summer Special.

However, there are a lot of custom holster makers on this site, they could probably make you something nicer.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I personally would buy the Mil- Spec if it's going to be your carry gun. Comes with the high profile 3 dot sights, beveled mag well, polished feed ramp and throated barrel, lowered and flared ejection port and anlgled slide serrations. Everything you need for a Great/Reliable 1911. Mine has Never malfunctioned in over 18k rounds. Change the recoil and mag springs out once a year and keep it lubed with Militec-1.

I'm 5' 7"'s and 175 lbs and have never been made packing it in 18 years and hardly even know it's there. Driven from NC to Fl 6 times with it on so it is comfortable with the right holster.

I've tried different carry weapons over the years but keep coming back to my 5" 1990 SA Standard (same as Mil-Spec). I trust it more than any other weapon and feel perfectly armed with a 8 rd mag with a spare.

Here's a pic of mine in a HBE Specialty Leatherworks DC Special. Highly recommend it or the HBE COM III as they are KA holsters! Added a Ed Brown tactical safety, Wilson Drop in beavertail safety, and a Wilson trigger and hammer. Going to have the front strap stipled at C&S and it'll be done.

Good luck and happy shopping!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I own one a love it. I have only put 300 rounds through mine, but no failures.

I carry mine IWB in a High Noon split decision.

I have never shot a Glock, so I can not compare the two. The GI is heavy and has a lower capacity, as someone else has already said.

The GI's recoil is not bad, in my opinion, and the gun is pretty accurate.
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Links