New PT145

This is a discussion on New PT145 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got this yesterday and the only shots so far is with the digital camera. I love the st/stl and black slide...sexy!! NewPT145.jpg Hope to ...

Thread: New PT145

New PT145

Just got this yesterday and the only shots so far is with the digital camera. I love the st/stl and black slide...sexy!!

NewPT145.jpg

Hope to get out this afternoon in the back yard and blow some holes in paper.

JoeyD.

2. Remove Ads

Very nice.... I am torn between the PT145 and the PT111...
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you really need it, you will need it really fast. ALWAYS one in the chamber.
    Nuf said!

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    very nice! I have a PT140 and LOVE it!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by cv7713 View Post
    Very nice.... I am torn between the PT145 and the PT111...
    I think that one or the other is in my future as well.
    ... whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. (Luke 22:36b NASB)
    FN Herstal FNP-9, FNP-357, Kahr TP45
    Ruger LCP, S&W 22a
    http://revderb.blogspot.com

I had a PT145 MilPro for a while. Mine never had a hiccup...went bang every time. Alot of firepower in that small of package too!
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Amen- I love mine and it carries so well.

I had a PT145. I could never get 10 rounds to cycle reliably due to a problem with the magazines. The rounds would nosedive into the feed ramp if you loaded more than 7 in the magazine. I sent both mags to Taurus over 2 months ago and still haven't gotten any back!!! I have since bought a brand new magazine with the same problem.... and then sold the thing. There are others out there who have had the same problem, just run a search or two. I really hope yours is a good one, but as for me, I'll never buy another Taurus.

Forgot to mention, mine was a MilPro 3rd generation SA/DA model.

I've got all three! PT111 SS 2nd gen DAO, PT140 SS 2nd gen DAO and the PT145Pro SS 3rd gen SA/DA. All three have been flawless.
    Freedom isn't free! Don't ever take it forgranted!

Quote Originally Posted by j21blackjack View Post
    I really hope yours is a good one, but as for me, I'll never buy another Taurus.
    Well I didn't get out today to give it a test drive...tomorrow's another day. Hopefully my experience will be better than yours.

I did research this decision and reviewed several forums, including the best one (DC), and my only moment of hesitation was when my brother-in-law shook his head and gave me a single "tsk" and advised me not to go with a Taurus. He used to buy and sell at gun shows all over TX, but that was a long time ago, and while I highly value his opinion on firearms, I just felt he was basing his comment on old information about Taurus. I showed it to him yesterday at lunch and he sort of backed off about their quality.

I'm confident it'll be a fine EDC once I get a holster...lots of hand wringing and mouse clicking going on over the holster. I've been carrying a Kahr PM9 for a couple of years in a Bianchi IWB clipon and recently an ActivePro Gear IWB tuckable, usually worn in appendix 1:30 to 2 o'clock. Even though the PT145 is small, it's bigger (esp. longer) and heavier and I'm probably going to have to go to 3 or 4 o'clock...thinking about the Crossbreed Supertuck.

I also like the tritium sights on the PM9 and will probably go the same way with the 145.

God, I hope my wife doesn't read this!!! She'll hide the checkbook!!!

Thanks for all the good and honest feedback from everyone.

Ex uno disce omnes - From one person, learn all people

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
    Even though the PT145 is small, it's bigger (esp. longer) and heavier and I'm probably going to have to go to 3 or 4 o'clock...thinking about the Crossbreed Supertuck.
    Supertuck/PT145 @ 3ish is a great combination for me. I've never had any FTF/FTE even with reload wadcutters. It's small and light so keep a firm girp (no limp wristing) and it should peform just fine.

JoeyD, congrats on the new acquisition. I have about 750 rounds through my MilPro .45 and I love it! Not one failure, with a variety of ammo. A few suggestions:
    1. These seem to be a love 'em or hate 'em item. If you find you have a good one, I don't think it'll let you down;
    2. Keep that thing scrupulously clean! They come from the factory filled with grease everywhere. Clean it thoroughly before heading out to the range, and use lube very sparingly;
    3. Many new owners find the Heine "straight 8" sights to be a challenge, most often shooting low-left (mine did too). The left is a function of shooter's grip, usually, and the low has to do with the somewhat unusual 2-dot sight picture. No 6 o'clock hold - it's intended to be point-of-aim = point-of-impact.
    4. Field stripping can be tricky. There are several web sites, forums, and youtube vids that are quite helpful
    5. I've been using the Supertuck for every day carry for a couple of months, and absolutely love it. It has a wide variety of carries, from straight up, to forward cant, high on the hip, or low under the belt line. Try different adjustments and I'll bet you'll find the perfect location.

HTH,
    -jb

Congratulations, very nice.

I went out back this morning with a fresh target and put about 30 rounds through it. First impression was how little recoil for a .45...I'd heard this from others on this and other forums, but it still surprised me.

Thankfully, I had read a number of messages with the heads up on the cleaning before firing and I did that as part of my familiarization -- Gun Scrubber was absolutely perfect for the job, as I learned from the fine folks on DC and TaurusArmed.

As for the Heine sights, I shot low at first even though I had the forewarning and knew it was POI instead of 6 o'clock. At the end of the first clip I had it down. Think I'm gonna have to find some different sights (POI & night) as that's what the rest of my pistols are and I like consistency, and that's important for good shot placement regardless of which weapon is in my hand, especially in a tense situation...shouldn't have to think about it.

Field stripping was a piece of cake once I read the manual's tip on getting the disassembly lever out..."Alternatively release the slide catch, pull back the slide again and push up the slide catch lever. This movement frees the DISASSEMBLY LATCH." Doing this pops the latch out enough to easily remove it, whereas the video I watched on the net had the guy using a butter knife to remove it....maybe it was a 1st or 2nd gen?

All in all, I couldn't be happier with PT145...now if I could just find some ammo!! Hopefully that will be remedied this weekend at the gun show

Thanks for all the input, guys and gals!

Senior Moderator
    I am really pleased with my PT111
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Links