IDPA pistol preference

This is a discussion on IDPA pistol preference within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Friends, For those of you who shoot IDPA matches, what seems to be the popular calibers and weapons? I brought an SR9, got good ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IDPA pistol preference

IDPA pistol preference

Hi Friends,
    For those of you who shoot IDPA matches, what seems to be the popular calibers and weapons? I brought an SR9, got good results, but am thinking of upgrading.
    Thanks
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

2. Remove Ads

My club's a complete mish-mash. I shoot either a SA XD9 and a Kimber 1911. The 1911's probably the most popular. One guy loves S&W wheel guns, and is mighty proficient with them. There's Sigs, S&W M&P, STI double-stacks, Ruger P9, and of course some Glocks.

I'm convinced the IDPA's targets and scoring really minimize the "gear" factor. It's way more important to get the guy working the trigger "tuned up" than the pistol. That said I think it's useful to shoot what you carry, and dump $ into ammo and range time.
    Still Clingin'

I shoot the following:

SSP: Beretta M9A1
    ESP: Same Beretta M9A1, though I'm going to get something different eventually
    CDP: S&W M&P45
    SSR: S&W 681
    ESR: Don't have one, but planning on buying a S&W 22-4 or doing a moon clip conversion on my S&W 21-4
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Thanks guys. I saw a bunch of guns at the match this weekend (my first): H&K, bunch of Glocks, lots of 1911s, some Sigs but not many. My SR9 did OK, but I came to the conclusion that I probably shouldn't be shooting a pistol with a safety (they make you engage it prior to starting which slows me down a bit). Tempted to go to the Dark Side and get a Glock 17 or maybe a Sig 229.
    Certified Glock Armorer

You really should look at the Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Pro Series.

This is a link to the article written by Massad Ayoob where he beat his all time best score the first time he shot the M&P 9 Pro.

GUNS Magazine August 2008 Feature
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Quote Originally Posted by gglass View Post
    You really should look at the Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Pro Series.

This is a link to the article written by Massad Ayoob where he beat his all time best score the first time he shot the M&P 9 Pro.

GUNS Magazine August 2008 Feature
    I've been thinking about one of those, thanks for the article
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    Ruger LCP with CT laser grip
    Emerson Combat Karambit
    Ol' .22LR

I have taken a 1911 and occasionally a p7m8, but my plain ol' M&P 9mm is what I like.

Glock 19...lightweight, easy to control, gentle recoil to easily get sights back on-line. This is my favorite over many choices.

Having shot IDPA, I see that most folks get sucked into the competition and seek out a pistol/revolver to win.

I encourage you to simply shoot what you carry, and do your personal best.

No IDPA clubs near me, so I shoot USPSA. Fellow shooters there can't believe that while I have a pistol set up for competition I still occasionally shoot my carry gun, for it takes me out of the running competitively. I, however, feel the need to get active trigger time with the pistol that could save my life one day!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I encourage you to simply shoot what you carry, and do your personal best.
    I couldn't have said it better.

Biker

Glock 9mm's are very popular down here.

I personally recommend shooting with whatever your carry gun is. To the people that are looking to have a dedicated IDPA gun : If your reasoning to buy a heavier gun with a lighter trigger and larger sight radius is to compete, well, I'd recommend selling your current gun at the moment. If you can't hit accurately on those targets during an IDPA then you're probably not going to be able to hit accurately in a real life situation.

I generally carry and shoot a .45acp 5" 1911 or a ~4" Browning Hi Power.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

the matches my range here in orlando a little bit of variety. caliber wise i'd have to say its mostly 9mm, .45, and .40. there is a guy there that uses his .45 revolver..i believe its converted to use .45acp but dont' quote me on it and another time another guy was using .38 special.

gun wise i've seen glocks, xds, couple sigs, and 1911s. its been a few months since i've made it out so i can't remember for sure. also as far as i know i was the only one out there with a ruger p345 and again as far as i know the only one with a ruger semi-auto pistol.

since you're shooting with an sr9 i've got a question for you. Do you reload? if so what bullets do you use? In the future i'm going to get either a sr9 or a xdm 9mm and would like to know what reloads they fire reliably.

i agree with the sentiment shoot with what you carry. like i said i was the only one out there with a p345 but its my carry gun so thats what i competed with. My main goal was to improve every month and get more trigger time under "stress" with my gun. mainly i just competed with my 2 buddies that always accompany me to the range.

i use a colt 1911. old school when it comes to some things.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    the matches my range here in orlando a little bit of variety. caliber wise i'd have to say its mostly 9mm, .45, and .40. there is a guy there that uses his .45 revolver..i believe its converted to use .45acp but dont' quote me on it and another time another guy was using .38 special.

gun wise i've seen glocks, xds, couple sigs, and 1911s. its been a few months since i've made it out so i can't remember for sure. also as far as i know i was the only one out there with a ruger p345 and again as far as i know the only one with a ruger semi-auto pistol.

since you're shooting with an sr9 i've got a question for you. Do you reload? if so what bullets do you use? In the future i'm going to get either a sr9 or a xdm 9mm and would like to know what reloads they fire reliably.

i agree with the sentiment shoot with what you carry. like i said i was the only one out there with a p345 but its my carry gun so thats what i competed with. My main goal was to improve every month and get more trigger time under "stress" with my gun. mainly i just competed with my 2 buddies that always accompany me to the range.
    Chevyguy, I have only went to one IDPA match so far, brought both Blazer and WWB 9mm. My SR9 has never mis-fired, FTE, etc and eats both of these loads with glee.
    Certified Glock Armorer

VIP Member
    The CZ SP-01 seems to be a popular gun in some areas as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links