Kel tec pf9

This is a discussion on Kel tec pf9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up a KEL TEC PF9 parkerized . I'm going Saturday to the range but was curious if KEL TEC has worked out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel tec pf9

Kel tec pf9

I just picked up a KEL TEC PF9 parkerized . I'm going Saturday to the range but was curious if KEL TEC has worked out all the hiccups they had in the beginning .

2. Remove Ads

I have the newest gen and just sent mine back. I know others who have no problems at all. Mine was spitting the mag out while firing (with pinky extension on) and I had the metal mag catch. Also, FTE once every 10-15 rounds. I could of got a lemon though. Best of luck.

-CV
    Last edited by cv7713; February 24th, 2009 at 10:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you really need it, you will need it really fast. ALWAYS one in the chamber.
    Nuf said!

I have one of the first 250 made and another about a year newer. Been fortunate with both. Neither ever been sent back. They like lube, especially on rails.

i don't have the pf9,,,but got a p11 and p3at. they like lube a little more than my other guns. the two have never been send back to the mother ship. i would do the f&b on it, it cleans the gun up some.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I ordered one yesterday from my FFL guy. Hope to get it by next week. I asked for parkerized but I didn't specify a frame color because I am ok with gray, black or green so it really wont matter.

What did the OP pay for his PF-9?

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45MINK View Post
    I just picked up a KEL TEC PF9 parkerized . I'm going Saturday to the range but was curious if KEL TEC has worked out all the hiccups they had in the beginning .
    What was your "out the door" price?

I purchased my RCXXX for $269 at a gun show in December. I've put 500+ rounds of various flavors through it with nary an issue. Cheap, reliable with adequate accuracy. I like mine.

VIP Member
    No prob with mine. It always goes bang when You hit the switch.

Picked one up at the last gun show I went to for $275. No problems with it, seems to eat everything I feed it, including my handloads.
    Stargzer
    MSgt, Ret. USAF
    NRA Life Member

Mine goes bang everytime. LOOOng trigger pull. Mine came with the plastic release...not worth a dang. Called Keltec and they sent the metal magrelease, no charge. pretty easy to install yerself. Prefer to carry over my P3AT because of the 9mm +P loads. Kicks like a bay mule with them +Ps however.

Mine works just peachy.

I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

I bought my blued with black frame PF9 (RD2XX) January 17th at a gun show for $269. I got it for summer carry. 150 rounds through it so far without any failures but I had to clean and lube it thoroughly before shooting it as it seemed to come with some really thick grease on it from the factory. It already had the metal mag release. It's a humbling pistol to shoot. Long but consistent DAO trigger and sharp recoil. Just got a Crimson Trace laserguard for it which helps a lot. Super lightweight and thin. Very easy to carry. Will have Erik at Side Guard Holsters make me a rig for it eventually. He says he has a mold for it with the laserguard. In the meantime I have a DeSantis SuperFly pocket holster on the way along with a nylon paddle holster from Concealment Concepts.

There are a couple of forums dedicated to Kel-Tecs: Kel-Tec Owners Group and the Kel-Tec Range. Both are good sources of info on the PF9.
    Life Member: Grass Roots North Carolina, GOA | Member: NRA
    Carrying: Springfield Armory XD(M) .40 S&W | Kel-Tec PF9

The PF9 feels a little small to me where my P11 actually feels like a more substantial gun than it is for its size.

The PF9 is a fine pistol though. I just prefer the extra round and even moreso the way the P11 feels in my hand.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Thanks guys for the input . I got the only parkerized one out of the 10 ordered by my local shop . I was happy to pay more for the parkerized one at $300 out the door and got a side clip for carry also .

I love my PF-9. I have put many rounds thru it without a problem. The +p are a little hard on my hand though. It takes factory and reloads just fine. I just put a houge grip on it and it feels better in the hand. It is so slim it is great for pocket or IWB carry. They say use the +p ammo because of the short barrel, you need it to reach proper speed. Also I do a couple of things when shooting at the range. I try to never fire the mag till its empty. I try to leave one in the mag. I do this because I have read where the stop for the slide will wear because it is cheap, and someday not keep the slide open when last shot is fired. And the same goes for the mag release. When putting in a fresh mag I don't just slam it in like my other gun, I depress the mag release and slide it past. Same deal, it is plastic and will wear out, then the mag can just drop out. For the price I can deal with these two issues. And as stated, I only know this because I read it. I have never seen one that ended up this way. But I aint takin no chances.

I still love this gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links