Ruger LCP - My first Post

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP - My first Post within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all welcome to DC. And I for one, agree with you. Id much rather NOT be on the receiving end of a 380. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP - My first Post

First of all welcome to DC.

And I for one, agree with you. Id much rather NOT be on the receiving end of a 380.

And I also agree with you that if you do your part of placing your shots in the right place, almost any BG will lose his zeal to do you harm.

Sure, if I knew I was going to be in a gun right Id rather have my Glock with me, but day in and day out, I have that little Kel-Tec P3AT 380 in my back pocket, and I trust it will do its job if I do mine.

As to the recoil. I dont have the LCP, but my little Kel-tec recoil is nice and sharp.

And for me its a gun I carry often and shoot seldom.

2. Remove Ads

I have been looking at them too. Considering buying one as a pocket carry back up gun.

I am embarrassed to admit my current pocket carry back up is a .25
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a LCP 380, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

I love my LCP and I carry it 100% of the time... Even when I carry the big guns.

I highly recommend that you get the Pearce Magazine extensions. They are far better than the extensions offered by Ruger. The Ruger extensions have a history of putting too much stress on the magazine during recoil which causes a failure to feed the next round. You can find the Pearce extensions at the ElsiePea Store. Elsie Pea Store - Accessories for the Ruger LCP

This is my LCP with the Pearce extensions... Notice that extension keeps a straight line down the grip, wheres the Ruger extensions jut out from the grip.

I also highly recommend using Remington Golden Saber 102gr as your SD ammo. The Sabers have the closest characteristics to a full 9mm Luger round.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Thanks everyone.

Gglass I appreciate the link for those extensions. I am going to be ordering one later today sometime. I really like the look of the one in the photo. Is that your's pictured there?

Howdy and welcome from another former sailor.

I also have an LCP, but am on the fence as to whether we sell it or not. We got it for the wife, but she hates the recoil. She wants a Kimber in 9mm, and, well, I can kinda understand her point.

Unfortunately, we got it when they first came out at a gun show so I know we will not be able to recoup the costs...

Hopefully, it will grow on her. I'm gonna have her try it out with a pinky extension and see if that helps.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Welcome from NY State. Have my Ruger LCP for just about a year now, and love it. Don't go anywhere (except NYC) without it!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Why does Bud's not carry these?

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    Thanks everyone.

Gglass I appreciate the link for those extensions. I am going to be ordering one later today sometime. I really like the look of the one in the photo. Is that your's pictured there?
    Yea, that is my constant companion. It has around 1,500 down the pipe and is always on my person, and the picture was shot 2 weeks ago. I can't believe the durability of this little piece, as I could box mine back up and sell it LNIB by its condition... I WILL NEVER SELL HER!

The only thing I changed other than the grip extensions was to polish the ramp to help in feeding rounds. (I do this on all my semi-autos, except where the ramp is anodized.) After 1,500 rounds and zero failures, I would have to say the LCP is a dependable platform.

As a side note on ammo... As you were used to firing ball ammunition in the military, I would highly recommend American Eagle 95gr. I have not seen any .380 fmj rounds that will penetrate deeper. I have seen two independent tests showing 15" to 16" of penetration in 10% ballistics gel. That makes the American Eagles fall into the "perfect" category for FBI ballistics measurements.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

For those who wonder why get a LCP in .380?

For me, it's because at this time, I can't can't convince the wife I need a Kahr PM9 or a Springfield EMP. She has other uses for what's left of our tax refund. And because she understands it's never "just buying the gun"... there's ammo, holsters and those other accessories that go with it which always jacks the price. (Besides this will bring my handgun count to 12, another subject the wife keeps bringing up)

Also, I can only foresee very rare occasions where it may be the only gun I'm carrying.

It's mainly for back up use, or even as a 3rd gun, however it is small enough that for times where I may otherwise have gone without, it will allow me to fulfill the #1 rule for gunfighting. And that is To Have A Gun.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Tangoseal...1st thanks for your service!!!

I added a Hogue HandAll Jr rubber slip-on grip to my LCP which made a world of difference in the stinging recoil. You will have to trim to fit, but it is well worth the $10.

Distinguished Member
    Welcome from Virginia.

Why does BudsGunShop not carry these?

I don't own an LCP but I have shot one. Your pretty much spot-on with my observations.

I will add that if I ever get one the FIRST thing I would need to do is take something abrasive to the checkered pattern on the backstrap. It only took 2 mags for that pattern to start digging in and hurting my hand.

Next - I would use the word "vague" to describe the trigger - but you are right, it is a great gun to resolve someone's anticipation issues because it just goes - no preliminary indicators of when it releases.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Drew M View Post
    I would use the word "vague" to describe the trigger - but you are right, it is a great gun to resolve someone's anticipation issues because it just goes - no preliminary indicators of when it releases.
    I could not agree more. When I pull - I keep thinking go... go on... go boom. Finally - boom.

It is possible to watch the hammer but then your eyes are not where they are supposed to be.

And, I agree about the grips. Very sharp in a crush grip. I ordered a
    Pachmayr grip (#4 I think, I can't remember) which I am told will help.
    The gun is not fun to shoot but it was not made for target/range/plunking either.

Great little gun and with Hornady CD makes for a nice PDW.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

It took me about 20 rounds to figure out that (for me) the LCP works better if I just "quickly" squeeze the trigger in one swift motion instead of slowly waiting for the hammer to fall. Try the "quick" squeeze method and see if it works for you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links