Defensive Carry banner

Need some help - trade Taurus PT140 for Taurus M85 titanium?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  possessed 
#1 ·
I have an opportunity to trade my PT140 for a Taurus M85 titanium. I'm not sure of the round count, waiting to hear back about that. I'd be trading 2 mags and a bianchi IWB plus 100 rds of wwb for the 85+about 18 rounds of .38spl +p and a pocket holster.

Is this a fair and even trade?

#4 ·
i don't absolutely need it...but the guy keeps pushing it as such a nice gun. i still haven't made up my mind about whether to trade, but it makes me a little leery that he's so insistent.

#6 ·
pcon, I'm sure you can find various used firearm value sites that might help you determine if it's a fair trade, if it's economics that's driving you.
I guess my first question would be *why* are you thinking about the trade? Do you shoot revolvers better? Are you unhappy with the PT-140, either the weapon, caliber, or action?
I love my PT-145, but it's more about what *you* prefer, what you shoot better and are more comfortable with. In that sense, the 85 is "worth" what you're willing to part with.

YMMV

-jb

#7 ·
Now I'm of the mind that everyone needs a J-framed sized revolver in their arsenal. At 13.5 oz, a Ti Taurus 85 would work great as a pocket revolver. I do have a few questions for you.

Is the PT-140 your only carry handgun? If so consider the differences between them. The 85 is lighter & smaller so it's easier to carry more often and in more situations. The PT-140 is more powerful and has a higher capacity. It's the age old trade off. Statistics will tell you 5 shots is enough, but some folks don't feel comfortable without 19 plus a reload. Speed strips are very easy to carry, but reloading is slower. Snubbies usually require more practice to be accurate, but they are inherently more reliable. Besides practice is part of the fun of gun ownership.

Does it have a ported barrel, spurless hammer, comfortable grips? Basically, is it in a configuration that you like?

Strictly going pricewise, a Ti 85 will cost more than your PT-140. According to gunbroker's completed auctions anywhere between $50-$100 more so count that along with the added ammo and holster. The Ti 85 would get the nod, but not by much.

In the end, the choice is yours.

#8 ·
Personally I think it is a good tread, for the other guy. You giving up potential knock down power and number of rounds capable of being carried, for a lighter gun. If you like your PT140 and it hasn't given you any problems, why trade it for a unknown? I can almost guarantee you within a year you will be buying another semi auto if you make the trade.
This is only my opinion, your the only one who can make the decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.