Springfield Armory XD and XDM 40 S&W - Page 2

Springfield Armory XD and XDM 40 S&W

This is a discussion on Springfield Armory XD and XDM 40 S&W within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; IMO, the Glock can take more punishment. However, I really enjoyed some time I spent with a .45 ACP XD. When I go shooting, and ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 157
  1. #16
    VIP Member Array Thanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,356
    IMO, the Glock can take more punishment. However, I really enjoyed some time I spent with a .45 ACP XD. When I go shooting, and someone does not like my Glock, I suggest the XD. I don't know why I did not like the 9mm XD M. 19 + 1 is a lot of capacity.

    The grip of the 9, 40, & 357 on the Glock is a little smaller then the 45 & 10mm. I don't like the grip on the 9mm XDM. I was really impressed how easily I could control the .45 XD, and it could be the grip difference between the .45 XD and Glock. But if your going to get a .45, get a 1911 :).
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger


  2. #17
    Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastern NC / Pirate Country
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Well, if thousands of hours spent on a range with countless shooters, and many of them being new XD owners counts a dribble, I guess thats all I have to offer is dribble.
    Having to loan out the range Glocks to XD owners over and over counts as dribble, so be it. Spend your money on a over marketed pistol... Its your money, not mine. I'll be around to tell you I told you so if you every decide to wring it out.

    Also, look into the used cases... full of XD's. But that would be dribble too I guess.

    Like I said, the OP asked for opinions, he got mine. I dont give a hoot if anybody likes it or not.

    FWIW, I'm not a "Glock Head" I dont carry one. I own a few, but I dont carry them. But I do know whats a superior pistol and whats not.

    Have fun with that.
    Let the truth set you free brother............Everybody has an opinion and you have yours, slanted as it maybe for your own reasons what ever they maybe (ego?). I can match "bonofidies" with just about anyone on this site but thats not the point. You are continually giving slanted, ill advised advice to those seeking unbiased help. You lose your crediblility when you do that Sir. Post count means nothing here to me. I try to help thoses seeking help by giving unbiased input on things I have first hand experience with from 35+ years of firearms knowledge, including many years running my own retail gunstore selling Glock and XD handguns. I know first hand what these guns can and can't do. First hand not slanted bias.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

  3. #18
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,903
    OK, aside from a few individual officer who issues the XD?

    Gunshops sell a lot of Taurus and High Points too.

    Edited to respond to Pirates edit;

    Pirate, the OP asked for opinions. I gave him mine. All opinions are biased one way or another. How can it be ego at work? Please explain that one to me. Talk about a biased dig.... I said I don't want to get into a petty ******* match, but here we are. If I'm going to lose credibility by sharing what I know and not just telling people what they want to hear or some feel good "dribble" so be it. Those are not the people I care about being credible with anyway.

    That is all. Take it or leave it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  4. #19
    Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastern NC / Pirate Country
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    OK, aside from a few individual officer who issues the XD?

    Gunshops sell a lot of Taurus and High Points too.
    Glock marketing maybe? I can tell you this, in the 15 years I dealt with firearms manufacturer reps on an almost daily basis including Ruger, S&W, CZ, Colt, Glock and many many others, no manufactuer was more aggressive in its marketing and pricing tactics than Gaston's company. So this crap you spout off about XD's marking is just that crap. all these companies are in the money making business. Glocks are fine guns, but they are no better than XD's or M&P's or several other offerings by other makers and they use the same marketing schemes as everyone else. They were basically the first plastic frame manufactuer to hit the US and they have a head start on other manufacturers, thats their main advantage.

    If you are a big Glock fan thats great, but don't always try to make your point by dising the other firearms. You really like Glocks OK we got it. But, show me one real fact bases study or report that shows Glocks are more reliable than XD's. Personally I own or have owned several examples of both and in my personal experience they are equal in that respect. I think the XD is more ergonomically suited to most shooters, myself included, thats my opinion. Unbiased and based on personal experience and knowledge. Thats what a forum is all about.

    Ok thats it on this one for me.....its not about us is it.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

  5. #20
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,903
    At no time did I say Glock was "King of the Hill". Is it better than the XD? Yeah, I think so... by a long shot. Like I said, the XD is a decent enough choice for the casual shooter. I wont say that for the serious shooter, especially if they are buying for a duty pistol. Most of the LE market happens to agree with me. Please, do tell me... when did I "dis" the XD? I gave my opinion. That is all.
    I'm not a huge Glock fan. I never said I was. I do know that they are a superior pistol to the XD...Thats the opinion I gave, the opinion that was asked for by the OP.

    The difference in the marketing is that Glock has twenty years of service and reputation to back it up. They don't have rely on gimmicks and flashy packaging to sell pistols to new customers. They never have had to do that. Now, they have their reputation and market experience to do that for them.

    The fact that Gaston is a stubborn old mule and still runs arguably the most successful firearms manufacturing business without the gimmicks and hype says a lot to me as well. But, I'm not going to get into defending Glock here... they can do that on their own.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  6. #21
    Member Array Uechi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West Central, FLorida
    Posts
    123
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I obviously opened up a can of worms. It appears people like XDs and XDMx or hate them. Same seems to go for the Glocks. I don't know what I'll do. I can only say accuracy is important, but it doesn't mean much, if you can shoot well and your gun jams in a life or death situation. They are both accurate firearms still I have misgivings on reliability. I have a Colt Gold Cup that use to jam all the time unless I used ball ammo. It didn't matter what spring I used. After $1,000 worth of gunsmithing it has yet to jam after thousands of rounds. I just don't want a gun that I'm going to have to tweak to have it work reliably. I'll just have to do some more research on all 40 S&W's. Thanks again

  7. #22
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,903
    Uechi, don't let out petty squabble effect your choice to much. Buy what your comfortable with, and honestly evaluate your needs and wants in a pistol.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  8. #23
    Senior Member Array fatboy97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Land of 10k Lakes
    Posts
    1,082
    Shoot a few hundred rounds out of a XDm40 at a range... I was so satisfied with the experience that I added an XDm9 to my collection last month... I've put 200 rounds through it for my initial time out and did not have one issue with the gun... it shoot flawlessly, felt good in my hands, and I shoot it as well, if not better, than any of my Glocks.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

    Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

  9. #24
    Member Array Tye_Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    233
    I don't work at a gun store or gun range so I can only tell you my experience with mine. I have probably put 9000 - 10,000 rounds (mostly reloads) through my XD40sc (subcompact with 3" barrel) with only 3 failures. All 3 failures were exactly the same, bullet lodged in the barrel, about half way down. I think the term is squib load. I recognized them right away when the primer went "pop" when I expected "BOOM", and the action didn't cycle. (It's a good thing, I don't know what would have happened if it cycled and I shot again!) I'm sure that the problem was that batch of reloads (bought from an aquaintance, he must have been distracted).

    I can't blame the 3 failures on the gun, so I would say that mine has been very reliable. I completely field strip and clean everything after every trip to the range and wipe it down and oil it every few days of carrying it, so that might help. I don't think I have ever put more than 500 rounds through the gun in a single range sitting either, so it has never really gotten to horribly dirty.

    In my opinion, I have been pretty happy with my XD40sc. If I had it to do over, I think I would have gone with the service model instead of the subcompact because it has a 4" barrel instead of 3". With my body shape and the way I carry, the barrel length is not the problem. If they had a model with the grip length of the subcompact with a 4" barrel that would be my dream XD model, but the gun is accurate enough with the 3" barrel that I can't complain.

  10. #25
    VIP Member Array jwhite75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    5,319
    Uechi, the GLOCK will work more reliably as a whole. They just have proven themselves over the last 20 years. They have not changed their design or general form in that 20 years. They are used worldwide with countless militaries and police agencies. That is FACT. I personally do not like the XD, because it just does not feel right or point naturally for me. They have obviously had to change and tweak their design some, or they would not feel the need to bring out the XDm. The XD started life as the HS 2000, a croatian pistol, that was getting lukewarm reviews and very little sale sin the US. Springfield realized they needed a polymer combat gun and bought the rights, that is how the XD became what it is. Springfield did not engineer the gun themselves, only changed the name, package and marketing. VOILA, a new name and package got all sorts of new great reviews form gun writers.
    I think the XD is an adequate gun, but it does have its hiccups, and parts and accessories are not nearly as available on ANY SD gun as they are for Glock.
    The LE in the Good ol' USA are 65% Glock, that is for a reason. I would be willing to say the XD is not even in double digits in market share. That also is for a reason.

    Personal opinions color everybodys posts that why we are all here. But in the long run, I think you will be more satisfied with a GLOCK as far as chunky double stack auto pistols go. JMHO.

    Hope this helped.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.


    I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

  11. #26
    Senior Member Array usmc3169's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    866
    Sorry, gotta chime in again -
    1st - The only thing I have disagreed with SIXTO about in the 4 or 5 months I have been opsting on this forum is XD reliability. Other than that he has been (in my opinion) dead on target with what he has said.

    2nd - Glock DOES in fact have 20 years + of reliable service on the beat with LE.

    3rd - I dont think it is fair to try to use that as an argument that the XD or any other polymer frame semi auto isn't as "good" as a Glock, all it means is that Glock has a head start and got in good with law enforcement early. It works just as well as any other polymer framed pistol and better than most - so why switch to another?

    4th - Modern striker fired pistols from major manufacturers all seem to be extremely reliable guns, when you get into arguing who had a better torture test, or "my gun can fire after I caked it in dirt and left it buried for X amount of time" the argument is starting to get silly - what serious shooter will have a gun even remotely close to that condition if they need it? (unless you regularly get into Kung FU battles on the beach trying to fight the villian over your gun that you dropped like Tom Cruise)

    5th Find something that fits yor hand, is comfortable to carry and that you get accurate hits with. Make sure you like the sight set up and ENJOY SHOOTING!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

  12. #27
    Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastern NC / Pirate Country
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    Sorry, gotta chime in again -
    1st - The only thing I have disagreed with SIXTO about in the 4 or 5 months I have been opsting on this forum is XD reliability. Other than that he has been (in my opinion) dead on target with what he has said.

    2nd - Glock DOES in fact have 20 years + of reliable service on the beat with LE.

    3rd - I dont think it is fair to try to use that as an argument that the XD or any other polymer frame semi auto isn't as "good" as a Glock, all it means is that Glock has a head start and got in good with law enforcement early. It works just as well as any other polymer framed pistol and better than most - so why switch to another?

    4th - Modern striker fired pistols from major manufacturers all seem to be extremely reliable guns, when you get into arguing who had a better torture test, or "my gun can fire after I caked it in dirt and left it buried for X amount of time" the argument is starting to get silly - what serious shooter will have a gun even remotely close to that condition if they need it? (unless you regularly get into Kung FU battles on the beach trying to fight the villian over your gun that you dropped like Tom Cruise)

    5th Find something that fits yor hand, is comfortable to carry and that you get accurate hits with. Make sure you like the sight set up and ENJOY SHOOTING!
    Could'nt have said it better..........XD, Glock or M&P all are great sidearms, its really up to the individual to determine which suits him or her best. I am glad we have some competitive options, its good for the consumer.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

  13. #28
    Member Array stog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waterford MI
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Uechi, the GLOCK will work more reliably as a whole. They just have proven themselves over the last 20 years. They have not changed their design or general form in that 20 years. They are used worldwide with countless militaries and police agencies. That is FACT. I personally do not like the XD, because it just does not feel right or point naturally for me. They have obviously had to change and tweak their design some, or they would not feel the need to bring out the XDm. The XD started life as the HS 2000, a croatian pistol, that was getting lukewarm reviews and very little sale sin the US. Springfield realized they needed a polymer combat gun and bought the rights, that is how the XD became what it is. Springfield did not engineer the gun themselves, only changed the name, package and marketing. VOILA, a new name and package got all sorts of new great reviews form gun writers.
    I think the XD is an adequate gun, but it does have its hiccups, and parts and accessories are not nearly as available on ANY SD gun as they are for Glock.
    The LE in the Good ol' USA are 65% Glock, that is for a reason. I would be willing to say the XD is not even in double digits in market share. That also is for a reason.

    Personal opinions color everybodys posts that why we are all here. But in the long run, I think you will be more satisfied with a GLOCK as far as chunky double stack auto pistols go. JMHO.

    Hope this helped.
    I know my XDs dont have plastic guiderods like the Glocks do. I was at the range and this guy in the lane next to me had a Glock that was all jacked-up due to the plastic guiderod being so chewed up on the ends i wouldnt stay seated in the slide.....that guy was pissed.
    Springfield XDm-40
    XDsc-40

    Id like to fly...but my wings have been so denied!!!

  14. #29
    Member Array rednecksport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    n.c.
    Posts
    192
    Maybe 65% of LEO in the U S use them because Glock practically gives them away to the Leo Agencies. I dont like the way they feel in my hand but I would take one if somebody wanted to sell me one for half price.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

  15. #30
    Senior Member Array cwblanco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It depends on your planned use. If you plan on attending some training and shooting a lot, the XD is a poor choice. It will fail, I promise. If you plan on being an occasional recreation type of shooter, the XD will serve you well. Its more about what you want out of the gun than what the gun is capable of.
    That's strange. My XD has never failed, but my Glock has. However, I will not "guarantee" as a general statement that all Glocks will fail, nor will I guarantee that all XD's will never fail.

    On the other hand, I am confident that I can guarantee that all brands eventually will fail some year after they are completely worn out. However, I shoot only a 100 rounds or so per week, so who am I to judge.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Springfield Armory TRP
    By Mardet65 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: May 23rd, 2010, 10:48 AM
  2. Springfield Armory Day
    By jofrdo in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 4th, 2008, 11:06 PM
  3. Need Some Springfield Armory Help
    By BigEFan in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 15th, 2008, 09:40 AM
  4. New Springfield Armory 9mm
    By sheepdog in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: September 17th, 2006, 08:53 AM

Search tags for this page

springfield armory xd 40 accessories
,
springfield armory xd 40 vs xdm 40
,

springfield armory xdm 40 accessories

,

springfield xd 40 vs xdm 40

,

springfield xd vs xdm

,
springfield xd40c
,
springfield xdm 40 vs xd 40
,
springfield xdm torture test
,

xd 40 vs xdm 40

,
xd vs xdm
,

xdm 40 accessories

,
xdm 40 vs xd 40
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors