Springfield Armory XD and XDM 40 S&W - Page 3

Springfield Armory XD and XDM 40 S&W

This is a discussion on Springfield Armory XD and XDM 40 S&W within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SIXTO, have you seen a particular set of failure modes in the XDs at your ranges? I am wondering what the particular weak point is. ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory XD and XDM 40 S&W

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    SIXTO, have you seen a particular set of failure modes in the XDs at your ranges? I am wondering what the particular weak point is. There are a few XD shooters at my IDPA club, so I have handled a few, but not seen enough of them to form a strong opinion of anything other than the ergonomics (which I like so far).

Thanks.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

My XD has rocked my socks off. I usually look up to everything Sixto has to say, but I do disagree with him on this one, BUT it's the experience he's had so I can't argue with him like some other... people... want to do. I think they're gun might be a little too personal to them. Springfield Armory has great customer service if anything ever does go wrong with your XD, but I don't think you'd have to use it much.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

I went out to the range a couple hours ago and shot an XD45 and the XD9sc. Awesome! I loved both of them. I can't tell you if they will be reliable with my limited experience with XD's. However, I can tell you they feel very good in my hands, and they shoot great. The XD9sc had the lowest recoil of any gun I've ever fired. It was very, very surprising.

I've fired the G17, G19, and G20, and I didn't like any of them. I don't like how the gun fits in my hand, and I really don't like the trigger pull. The 17 and 19 both had surprisingly high recoil for being 9mm. Follow up shots I felt were much more difficult to be precise with due to the extra recoil and "long" trigger pull.

I don't own either of these weapons, so I'm not biased either way. Just my opinion. The only gun I own is a P229. But, I'm thinking that within the next few weeks I'll purchase the XD45. Can't go wrong with 13+1 in .45 ACP. Hope this helps!
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    SIXTO, have you seen a particular set of failure modes in the XDs at your ranges?
    Yes. Its no so much a stopage problem its one of breakage. I've seen triggers disconnect and go dead, but there have been a lot of undiagnosed breakages too. We dont stop class to disect and figure out the problem. Honestly, I dont care what the probelm is because it doesnt matter... the gun is broke and wont work in a gun fight. The shooter either uses a back up, borrows another or goes home.

In the weekend long class I do on a semi regular basis, if we have 10 XD's 7 will not complete the weekend. They seem to do OK with casual use though. Thats why I feel the XD's are junk. Maybe they have corrected some issues with the M, I dont know... but it seems like the M is just the same gun with some cosmetic dressing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My brand spanking new XD45 had a FTF within the first 50 rounds. The 7 year old G19 I traded in on the XD also had 1 FTF in it's life with me. It had more than 50 rounds through it.

Granted, an FTF within the first 50 rounds shot through a new gun isn't worth even mentioning but at the same time my G19 went about 1000 rounds before it had it's first FTF.

Conversely my G23 has only had 2 FTFs in about 10,000 rounds.

Finally - after shooting the XD45 I can tell you that FOR ME I like it's ergonomics less than I do any of my Glocks (Even my G36 feels better). Of course that probably makes me a "Glock head" and biased because XD owners can't fathom the fact that someone might actually like a Glock better UNLESS they are biased. Rubbish.

One thing I always notice about these debates is that the people who spout off about Glocks and Glockheads are always on the offensive when doing so - and they are always "XD heads".

I agree with SIXTO - the XD isn't superior. At best it is on-par but in a different way. I'm glad I have an XD because now XD head's can no longer label me a Glockhead. The fact that I traded in my G19 on it should further that case.

personally i like my xdm-40 because of the way it feels... only reason i choose it over a glock... glock's are great guns and so are xdm's ... never shot or owned an xd myself... with my experience between glock's and xdm's you cant go wrong with either choice. pick one that fits your hand better and that you like better
    here is a review of the xd that i found
    XD review

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    I own a XD-40 and it is a great pistol. just yesterday it hit the 4000 round mark without a problem. It's also very accurate and the trigger pull is great.

I don't own the XDm, but I do shoot one every time I go to the range with my buddy. It too is a great pistol, it just seems like it is built more for competitions.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    I have a service and a sub compact .40. no problems with either.

I do not like the XDM, simply because the "texture" of the grip is not what I like. It might be a great gun but I do not like the "feel" of it, so I will not own one anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    ... Also, look into the used cases... full of XD's. ...
    Would like to know where all these are, I'd like to buy them up for resale.
    XDs of any given model, especially the sub compacts, are fairly scarce in TN due to their popularity. And seems to be same over most of the country unless all those folks on XDTalk are lying.

I had to wait over a month on order to get my second XD, a 9mm service.

- OS

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot View Post
    Would like to know where all these are, I'd like to buy them up for resale.
    XDs of any given model, especially the sub compacts, are fairly scarce in TN due to their popularity. And seems to be same over most of the country unless all those folks on XDTalk are lying.

I had to wait over a month on order to get my second XD, a 9mm service.

- OS
    I want to know where they are too, because I want a XD-9 compact
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Administrator
    They are easy to find... check gun broker.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have the XDm 40.....LOVE it.
    Shoots great, feels good in my hand and trouble free so far. It is my everyday carry.
    Take care,
    VTXDM40...........Molon Labe

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I think the XD was originally known as the HS2000, and Springfield Armory bought the rights to market it here in the United States and renamed it the Xtreme Duty or XD pistol, originally being available in 9mm, .45 GAP, .40 S&W, and 357 SIG. Springfield Armory's marketing department did a good job at advertising it, and the gun rags made it out to be the greatest striker fired pistol out there it seems. Many people seem to favor the ergonomics of the XD over the Glock and they like the added safety features.

When I first heard about the XD I was quite intrigued by it. I liked all the cool stuff it came with and it seemed superior to the Glock. So I bought an XD9 Service and looked at Glocks as ugly and boring pistols and I would never own one. Then I realized that if my XD9 ever broke for whatever reason I would have to send the gun through the mail system back to Springfield. I didn't like that idea, and learned Glock made their parts available for individual sale. I had actually sold the XD9 due to the rough finish and bought an XD45 before I learned all of that. I ended up trading the XD45 for my Glock 19. Two years later I bought a 2nd XD45 and still have it. It sits in the safe most of the time.

I think the XD and Glock are both quality pistols, but the XD certainly is far from being the greatest striker fired handgun on the market, and it is a little over hyped IMO. After giving Glock a try, I can say I prefer the Glock and if my hands were just a little bigger for the 21 and 21SF I would have one of those instead of an XD45. Glock does have a lengthy track record, and well over half of the law enforcement departments issue them as their standard duty pistol. That tells me something right there. Anyway with that in mind, go with what you like better, IMO either one will serve you well, but keep in mind if you ever need it serviced, you will have to send it back to Springfield Armory.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    well over half of the law enforcement departments issue them as their standard duty pistol. That tells me something right there.
    That's because Glock gives Law Enforement Agencies HUGE discounts.

I like the XD for the added safety features. That was very important to me when I bought the gun as a noob. Now I like it for its ergonomics. Glocks just do not shoot naturally for me - I consistently shoot high with them.

I've put around 12,000+ rounds through my XD40 in 18 months with just one failure to fire. That's it. No other problems whatsoever. That includes two 1,000 round weekends and I compete regularly in IDPA with it. I have no fear using it as my daily carry.

I'm sure Glocks are just as good. I just don't see how anecdotal comments such as XD's break in 7 out of 10 cases over a weekend can be counted as being reliable. That is not my experience or the experience of most owners over at XDTalk.com.

I do however agree on the point about parts availability and wish that Springfield Armory would rethink their parts policy. Shipping back to them in the event of a failure is not a good option.

Hope that helps.

Phil

Administrator
    Glocks discounts LE isnt that big, S&W has a much larger program. Almost all of the major manufactures have LEA programs. Glocks program really isnt all that different than Sigs, S&W, Beretta or any other.

The truth is, XD isnt considered very much because it just isnt a top grade pistol with the factory support a PD would need.

...and my 7-10 comment is just that. It is what it is. As much time as I spend here, I spend at least that much on a training range. I see what I see, and report back.

Now here is something shocking... I actually considered buying an XDm last night. I do like the endless belt fed magazine, that is kinda cool. I wanted to buy it, ring it out to either prove or disprove my position on the XD here once and for all. But then I picked one up, played with it... its the same old poorly balanced XD we are used too. I just couldnt bring myself to waste that much money. Sorry... but I think they are poorly designed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links