Springfield Armory XD and XDM 40 S&W

This is a discussion on Springfield Armory XD and XDM 40 S&W within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a XD40 subcompact. I think they are every bit as good as the Glock or the Sig....

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory XD and XDM 40 S&W

I have a XD40 subcompact. I think they are every bit as good as the Glock or the Sig.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimH58 View Post
    I have a XD40 subcompact. I think they are every bit as good as the Glock or the Sig.
    Yeah you're right because I shoot my XDs just as great as I shoot my Glocks. I think a big part of a pistol's performance is the actually shooter. You know how you have those guy's that say "the XD has poor balance" or "the Glock is like a block", I think it is the ability of the shooter who is at fault.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Both are great guns. Shoot 'em both and pick the one that you feel most confortable with. You can't make the wrong decision on this one - unless you decide based on other shooters' opinions.
    The 2nd Amendment is my gun permit.
    Issue Date: Dec. 15, 1791
    Expiration Date: NEVER

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Glocks discounts LE isnt that big, S&W has a much larger program. Almost all of the major manufactures have LEA programs. Glocks program really isnt all that different than Sigs, S&W, Beretta or any other.
    I am pretty sure Glocks are less expensive to begin with, compared to other guns. If a Sig were the same bottom line cost, I doubt Glock would be so popular with the LEO industry.
    I have not been hearing the locals talking about Sigs, M&P's or XD's for that matter in the below $400.00 range.
    Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    ...I actually considered buying an XDm last night. I do like the endless belt fed magazine, that is kinda cool. ...
    There is a belt fed mag for XDM?
    Do tell us about it, please, I've sure never heard of it.

- OS

I went to get an XD45, and left with a Glock 30 and every day I am glad I did. Go with what feels good so you don't regret it later.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

I have both and I like them both. The XDM took a little getting used to but I'm getting better with it. The Glock just feels like home no matter what size I put in my hand.

They are both reliable as a matter of fact I shoot the XDM more because I am trying to get better with it. About 300 rounds a weekend and it has seen about 1500 trouble free rounds so far. That thing would eat glass! It has not stopped once. This gun is reliable. I'd bet my life on it.

I would go with the glock because you get the same value for less money as long as it feels good in YOUR HAND!

I have to chime in here. I've been an XD 'fan' for quite awhile now. Though I respect Sixto's opinion a lot, I've got to disagree due to my personal experience. I got a XD9mm Service back in '03, I think it was. Since then, I've put almost 14,000 rounds through MY XD. I've fed it hollowpoints, and a variety of cheap ball ammo. Mostly Sellier & Bellot. The only failure I have ever had is with Wolf ammo. After about 300 rounds, I'd start to get a FTE every couple of mags. The Wolf was just too dirty. I've put 800 rounds of S&B through without any cleaning with no problems. I have not had to replace any parts on my XD yet, though I am close to a needing new guide rod/recoil spring assembly.

Perhaps my XD is unique, and I got a "good" one and the rest are failure prone. I don't know. All I can say is I've put a lot more rounds through my XD than a casual shooter, and it has not failed or broken.

Now, I should mention that I also own a S&W M&P .40, and a GLOCK 36, and I like them all.

From my experience, my opinion is you should buy whichever fits in your hand best, and points naturally. You couldn't go wrong with any of them.

All of the above opinions are give free of charge, and worth about what you paid for them.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot View Post
    There is a belt fed mag for XDM?
    Do tell us about it, please, I've sure never heard of it.

- OS
    I was kidding. Coming from a world were my mag hold eight, the 19 or 20 that gets stuffed into the XDm mag sure seems like a belt fed weapon.

As for the guys who chime in and tell about shooting thousands of round over a period of years, I'm talking about shooting a case or two over a weekend. And when an XD breaks, you are dead in the water. Any other quality manufacturer, you have instant parts on hand or at least reasonably close.
    "Just blame Sixto"

OK I am going to temporarily break with the XD folk and form my own little sub group.... I do not have any experience firing a regular XD - so can not vouch for its "quality"

The XDm is a different beast though. SIXTO, if it were possible from where I am and where you are I would be happy to loan you my XDm for a few weeks to put through the ringer. I really think that if you were to take one apart, compare its working parts to a Glock or other "reliable" gun you would find that the fit and finish on those parts in question to be at least on par - in many cases higher in quality and fit. It runs smoothly when fired, and to me the balance (with a full mag) is excellent.

I am gonna keep working on you on this subject until you go out and shoot a couple hundred rounds at least through one! <wink><wink>
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Administrator
    I readily admit I don't have much experience with the M, other than fondling in the shop. It still doesn't balance right, thats what the huge turn off is for me if I set aside the prejudices I have created by the XD.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My XD works fine from day one.. I have put about 2000 rounds thru it.
    I got it over the Glock mainly because of the grip safety. My old Chief always said Get a Glock. And he was also the firearm instructor for the County. I still got the XD. Thats just me... I like the XD. Is this link just a Hype? I am being sincere. I don't have the knowledge that others have here.

The Arsenal

Or this?

Going over to the
    Dark Side - The Springfield Armory XD-9 Tactical Pistol

And MY FAVORITE....

YouTube - Cop shoots himself in the foot but takes it like a man

As for the guys who chime in and tell about shooting thousands of round over a period of years, I'm talking about shooting a case or two over a weekend. And when an XD breaks, you are dead in the water. Any other quality manufacturer, you have instant parts on hand or at least reasonably close.
    As one of 'the guys', perhaps you missed my comment about at least two 1,000+ round weekends. Seems you have an axe to grind - I'm just not sure what it is but you seem to be fairly certain of your own infallible opinion. My opinion is the exact opposite. Doesn't make you wrong or me right, but your insistence that you are absolutely right is, IMHO, more than mildly irritating.

I do agree with you on the lack of parts and think it is a stupid policy of Springfield's. But for it to be an issue, first the gun has to break. Mine hasn't. I believe you are seriously overstating your position. If incessant breakages were such a problem, I think we would know about it by now. You are the ONLY person I have ever hear to claim that 7 out of 10 XD's break under heavy usage. Wonder why that is? What is it that you know that seemingly nobody else knows or experiences. Hmmm.

It depends on your planned use. If you plan on attending some training and shooting a lot, the XD is a poor choice. It will fail, I promise. If you plan on being an occasional recreation type of shooter, the XD will serve you well. Its more about what you want out of the gun than what the gun is capable of.
    Got a weekend traing class coming up I will be putting roughly 1500 rds through it i will let you know if it fails or not im sure it wont but its funny if its not a glock you just dont approve oh well to each his own.

You need to read the rest of the discussion. SIXTO has some realistic concerns about the actual reliability of the XD system. He also has explicitly stated that Glock is not his first choice when it comes to weapons - but did accurately state that Glocks have a proven service history dating back 20 years of HARD usage. XD does not have that yet. There will be critics until it proves itself a superior gun... that is just going to take time and exposure.

I happen to love my XDm - I have fired thousands of rounds through it in the last 2 months while training at the academy, It has fired in -15 degree temperatures - enduring 11 hours of bitter cold every day for a week and still functioning exceptionally well on the last drill on the last day. I have also fired up to 500 rounds through it in a day with out any stoppages at all - in fact I have had only one failure to feed (shooter error) in the 2 months that I have been shooting it (Hard shooting, remember?)

Now on the other side of the coin, in the 2 months prior to that I put my issued Glock 22 through the same shooting stress, and had similar results - three fail to feeds rather than the 1 that the XDm had.... but I would say those were probably because of shooter error again.

Both are great weapon systems in my opinion, the XDm just happens to fit more naturally in my hand, and I can manipulate the mag release more easily. I like the forward serrations on the slide and the slight angle on the sides of the slide - makes it easier to perform malfuntion drills. The serations on the front and rear are also more aggressive than on the glock which makes the margin for error better under stressful situations.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links