Springfield Armory XD and XDM 40 S&W - Page 5

Springfield Armory XD and XDM 40 S&W

This is a discussion on Springfield Armory XD and XDM 40 S&W within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know im just messing with him i have seen other post where he shoots down other brands but glocks yes they are reliable im ...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory XD and XDM 40 S&W

I know im just messing with him i have seen other post where he shoots down other brands but glocks yes they are reliable im not flaming him just yankin his chain some but i will be using it in a training class next weekend has 350 through it now another 1500 going through it then i guess it will be its test. But no reason to be alarmed just joking trying to have fun here is all .

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaPhil View Post
    As one of 'the guys', perhaps you missed my comment about at least two 1,000+ round weekends. Seems you have an axe to grind - I'm just not sure what it is but you seem to be fairly certain of your own infallible opinion. My opinion is the exact opposite. Doesn't make you wrong or me right, but your insistence that you are absolutely right is, IMHO, more than mildly irritating.

I do agree with you on the lack of parts and think it is a stupid policy of Springfield's. But for it to be an issue, first the gun has to break. Mine hasn't. I believe you are seriously overstating your position. If incessant breakages were such a problem, I think we would know about it by now. You are the ONLY person I have ever hear to claim that 7 out of 10 XD's break under heavy usage. Wonder why that is? What is it that you know that seemingly nobody else knows or experiences. Hmmm.
    Please, stop while you are ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoDriver View Post
    Got a weekend traing class coming up I will be putting roughly 1500 rds through it i will let you know if it fails or not im sure it wont but its funny if its not a glock you just dont approve oh well to each his own.
    I stated over and over I'm not a Glock fanboy, but I'll say it again anyway since you are bitter. I dont carry a Glock, I do own a few I keep for loaners, but there are other platforms I prefer over the Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    You need to read the rest of the discussion. SIXTO has some realistic concerns about the actual reliability of the XD system. He also has explicitly stated that Glock is not his first choice when it comes to weapons - but did accurately state that Glocks have a proven service history dating back 20 years of HARD usage. XD does not have that yet. There will be critics until it proves itself a superior gun... that is just going to take time and exposure.
    Exactly. Thank you.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Jeeze, seems like people want to take one person's opinion quite personal. It's a freakin' gun, choosing it or not is not a reflection of anyone's intelligence or manhood.

Sad that a guy's opinion based on what he has seen seems not to count as much as what others have seen individually. He has nothing to gain or lose and is putting up with a ton of unnecessary BS standing by what he said. I'll listen to a trainer before a salesman any day.

Taking everyone at their word, I'll listen to the opinion of someone who has seen numerous guns go thru the same scenario involving massive amounts of ammo over a whole bunch of individual experiences of weekend shooting + one or two experiences with large amounts of ammo out of one or two guns. Sounds like he has more observational experience with XD's than all the other respondents to the thread combined. Statistically speaking his "sample size" appears to be bigger than all the others combined.

If I want to know about the reliability of a car, I don't talk to the people in the neighborhood who own one, I go to a source with a large sample size like CR or a mechanic.

six aint the first time you get ribbed on this i was just kidding as i stated but it is true i will be testing it next weekend dont get all riled up now.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Your best opinion will come from yourself. One thing I learned since I started buying various pistols is to take people's opinions like and grain of salt and try any particular gun out for myself. I noticed people's opinions are very subjective when they tell me about any brand of firearm, but I guess it is due to the fact they own that brand.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Great day to find this thread. Just came back from the range and having put 300 rounds thru my new XD40 Subcompact I can tell you this. Awesome weapon....Flawless and points really well. This being said as my opinion. I strongly believe that each and every one of us for whatever reason likes or dislikes various things. I bought a Kahr PM9 knowing full well that many people just plain do not like them. I have fires almost 800 rounds thru that an love the thing. It is extremely concealable and shoots 124gr anything superbly. !46gr. not so much. (only on slide actuated loading) from battery or after first round flawless. I have no regrets. So, with all of that I would vote anytime for the XD. The Glocks, without doubt have a great track record but the grips are to deep for my hands. Try to shoot the ones that you are interested in and when you get the one that feels great, go ahead and get it.

I will add something to this; I own both a Glock and an XD Tactical. I have used both in matches and practice extensively. Only once have I had a failure.

The gun that failed me was the GLOCK, during the annual Glock match; I was running the plate rack on my way to winning my division when the steel block that holds the fire control assy broke in half, locking the slide and effectively jamming up the gun. Chris Edwards witnessed this, and turned 10 shades of white when he and the armorer spent the next hour trying to get the gun disassembled to fix it. They replaced the broken part, and Chris was gracious enough to give me a case of 9mm ammo and a Glock Jacket for my trouble, not to mention blowing a sure win.

My point here is not to bash either gun, but to point out that they ALL fail. Had the mighty Glock done that during a real fight, I would have had a useless paperweight and been rectally challenged for the rest of my life.

The XD has never coughed. Not once.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

About a month ago I was shooting at the range in my off time with a buddy. He was firing his Glock doing some "fail to stop" drills and suddenly his trigger wouldn't pull on anything any more - it just slopped around inside the trigger guard. The trigger pin had snapped off at the junction between the support side of the frame and the trigger. This could have easily happened in any other gun. Like edr9X23super wrote - It can happen to any fire arm. some are less prone to it because of quality parts, and some can recover faster due to more certified armorers and easily available parts.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Please, stop while you are ahead.
    I have absolutely no idea what that statement means. Just know you avoided addressing my comments. Yeah, guess I'm ahead. Quite the ego you got there.

7 out of 10 XD's break under intense use? - XDTalk Forums - Your HS2000/SA-XD Information Source!

Interesting little extension of this thread for consideration.

- OS

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    It depends on your planned use. If you plan on attending some training and shooting a lot, the XD is a poor choice. It will fail, I promise. If you plan on being an occasional recreation type of shooter, the XD will serve you well. Its more about what you want out of the gun than what the gun is capable of.
    I know you have your opinion but I have mine. Mine says yours is skewed somehow. How many of the XD's that failed had something done to them such as modifications? What type of hand loaded ammo were they shooting?

The guy asked for opinions, and I gave him mine. Its as simple as that. I could have gave him a fluff answer like "It comes in a swell box with a crappy holster, and some catchy "Tactical" name made up by some marketing guy" Or it "feels good in my hand", but I chose to give him my honest opinion. So shoot me.
    The Glock comes in an even crappier case with NO holster, NO mag loader, NO mag carrier and costs more than an XD.

I dont care if anybody buys one or not, but I dont like it being marketed as a premium gun when its not. Of the popular guns, it has just as high failure rate as the middle shelf guns in my classes and at the shooting school I work at. They just aint all that.
    I dont remember the XD's being marketed as any more premium than a Glock. They are in the same market category and price range basically.

On failure rate, how many of those XD owners with failure may have improperly assembled or modified his/her weapon?

On a safety issue, how many kabooms has been reported on XD40's versus Glock 40's? How many times has an officer holstered or unholstered his Glock and had a ND or worse, shot him/her self?

Sure, the Glock has been around a long time. Long enough the aftermarket is saturated with goodies and gizmos for it. Its a great weapon for sure. I dont care for them and wont own them but they are fine.

I personally think the lack of LE department issue of XD's was more because Springfield didnt jump on the "high discount" bandwagon and the fact that LE has issued the Glock for so long. I dont have a problem with that. I see no reason to change what works.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I always love the "what's the best" arguments. Best for what? Best for whom? For me, it's about feel. The XD's just feel better and shoot better. My XD9sc carries very well and shoots where I point it. The XDm9 carries a little different due to it's size, but as with the sc it, shoots where I point it. As for the Glocks, I have never gotten use to the grip. If I have to fight a grip on a firearm I won't own it, period. All of my shotguns are custom fitted to me. That makes a big difference in poa and poi. I like my Trap guns to shoot high and my Sporting Clays and Skeet guns to shoot flat. My XD's were, to me, perfect right out of the box.
    I have however changed the sites on the XDm and a heavier guide rod, also polished the barrel, mainly for appearance.

JMO..

Its not really an unbiased view of the discussion at hand now is it?

Also I couldn't help but notice that almost every post on the other forum started with "I didn't read what was posted on defensivecarry.com but..."

It would be like crying over at the Glock or Sig or 1911 forum if some one didn't like that particular brand of gun - what do you expect?

DC Founder
    But I do know whats a superior pistol and whats not.
    Me, too. A Sig....

Seriously, guys, it is one person's opinion. He's not dissing your sister or grandmother, just state your own opinion and agree to disagree. I've never seen so much angst even in a 1911 vs "the world" discussion....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Thank you Bumper

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links