A First-Time Handgun Owner

This is a discussion on A First-Time Handgun Owner within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need you help and suggestions on what type handgun I should recommend for my younger brother. Here's some background. My younger brother has finally ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I need you help and suggestions on what type handgun I should recommend for my younger brother. Here's some background.

My younger brother has finally decided he needs a handgun for his home defense. This will not be a CCW permit gun. It will be used for home defense only. He's already told me that he is more comfortable with a revolver. He doesn't seem to be interested in semi-automatics like glock, etc. I've taken him to the gun range a few times over the last few years. He's seem my fire my handguns and isn't intimidated by them either. I've had him fire my handguns as well so he has a "novice" experience with guns.

I then asked him how much he was willing to spend on his first handgun. He's willing to spend from $300.00-400.00 price range. Now I'm looking for a revolver that is well made AND cost effective. I'm not going to allow him to buy some "junk" gun.

I would rather my brother buy a new handgun rather than a used handgun. Do you have any suggestion that would help me?

Thanks again for your help!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

My suggestion is a shotgun. My favorite right now is the Remington 870 tactical

EdC
    Price range is a little low for a new gun. I recommend a medium 7 shot revolver with a 4" bbl. in .357 magnum, and shoot .38 special +P. I'd recommend a S&W 686 Plus (love mine), but it's not in the stated price range. However,
    Taurus is supposed to make a decent revolver, and you might want to check out the Taurus Tracker, Model 627, but I think they run about $460 new.

Price Range

Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    Price range is a little low for a new gun. I recommend a medium 7 shot revolver with a 4" bbl. in .357 magnum, and shoot .38 special +P. I'd recommend a S&W 686 Plus (love mine), but it's not in the stated price range. However,
    Taurus is supposed to make a decent revolver, and you might want to check out the Taurus Tracker, Model 627, but I think they run about $460 new.
    I told him that his price range was somewhat restricting his options. I'm still trying to have him consider a semi-auto as well. I have a few that are available in his price range. I've found Rossi handguns which are within his price range. Any thoughts on Rossi handguns?
    Glock 26

It is difficult for me to recommend something because it sounds like he is not going to make the effort in training necessary to be a responsible gun owner.

Having said that, my second thought is for a shotgun. But I am still uncomfortable about saying that. If he hesitates, a shotgun is going to be easier to take away from him.

Training

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
    It is difficult for me to recommend something because it sounds like he is not going to make the effort in training necessary to be a responsible gun owner.
    I plan on going to the range with him on a regular basis when/if he does buy his handgun. Once he gets into the habit of getting regular practice I'm hoping he keeps up with it. I go to the range on a regular basis so I'll be asking him if he wants to go with me occasionally.
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Taurus makes an excellent revolver called the Judge. It shoots .45 Long Colt and .410 shot shells. It runs a little higher $450-$500, but you can't beat it for a home defense gun.

Loaded up with 2 1/2" 000 buck shot shells @ 1300 fps it will definately make a great home defense weapon.

Taurus

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Taurus makes an excellent revolver called the Judge. It shoots .45 Long Colt and .410 shot shells. It runs a little higher $450-$500, but you can't beat it for a home defense gun.

Loaded up with 2 1/2" 000 buck shot shells @ 1300 fps it will definately make a great home defense weapon.
    My brother has fired my Taurus 85 & my .45 I had a few years ago. I know that a Taurus would be a good defense gun. I never had a misfire with my Taurus.
    Glock 26

VIP Member
    My first choice would be the Ruger GP100, however it is above the price range he is looking to spend. Second choice would be a Taurus, something along the lines of the model 65. Both are .357 caliber.

As far as Rossi, I haven't handled one in several years. While they did feel OK in the hand, I felt the cylinder had excessive slop in them when the gun was cocked. They may have resolved that, not sure.

Senior Moderator
    I second the revolver and would suggest a taurus 65 of ruger GP-100

If you can find a S&W in you rpice range I'd get it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Ruger GP100/Taurus 65/Rossi

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    My first choice would be the Ruger GP100, however it is above the price range he is looking to spend. Second choice would be a Taurus, something along the lines of the model 65. Both are .357 caliber.

As far as Rossi, I haven't handled one in several years. While they did feel OK in the hand, I felt the cylinder had excessive slop in them when the gun was cocked. They may have resolved that, not sure.
    I'm trying to get him to raise his price range. I would like to see him buy at least a Taurus. I'll be checking out the Rossi's at the local gun shops. I haven't had much experience with Rossi so I'll be checking them out for myself for piece of mind. As I said in a prior message, I will not let him buy less than a quality made gun.

Thanks for the info on the cylinder slop on Rossi. I'll look for that in the guns I check out later this week.
    Glock 26

Can't go wrong with the GP-100, spend the little extra or look for one used.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

It's my understanding that Taurus has been making the Rossi's for several years now. A friend of mine has a Rossi .38 and he likes it. The Taurus Judge 4510 is on my wish list. I saw the SS version for $550.00 at my local dealer.

Taurus/Rossi

Quote Originally Posted by Beergut View Post
    It's my understanding that Taurus has been making the Rossi's for several years now. A friend of mine has a Rossi .38 and he likes it. The Taurus Judge 4510 is on my wish list. I saw the SS version for $550.00 at my local dealer.
    That's what I thought when I was doing research. Both websites look very similar. I kinda suspected that the they are manufactured by the same company. I'm still going to check out the Rossi handguns myself later this week.

Thanks for your input!
    Glock 26

VIP Member
    +1 on the Taurus Judge. it gives you two good options for HD.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links