Picked up a Glock 21SF last weekend - shot it today...

This is a discussion on Picked up a Glock 21SF last weekend - shot it today... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying a G-17 a lot lately, but I've been wanting a non-1911 .45 ACP for a while now, so I've been saving up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a Glock 21SF last weekend - shot it today...

Senior Moderator

I've been carrying a G-17 a lot lately, but I've been wanting a non-1911 .45 ACP for a while now, so I've been saving up and discovered a G21 and a G21SF at the same huge gun store about 30 miles from my house. So it was family outing time. I loaded up my wife, our down-sydrome sis that lives with us now, and last but not least, my good dog Tangle, and we headed to Benton's Shooting Supply in Benton, TN. It's a beautiful drive through the less developed country, culminating at Benton's Shooting Supply on the famous, scenic 411 hwy.

There's not as much difference between the G21 and G21SF as I thought there would be. The most noticeable differences are the full Picitinny rail and the ambidextrious mag release. Otherwise they 'look' the same. But when you put the G21 in your hand and then the G21SG, there's another difference that becomes apparent - the smaller grip. It's not a lot smaller, but enough to count. Then of course the SF mags are different - they have a notch in the front of the mag to accommodate the ambi mag release.

The gun is really pretty impressive, a little on the big side for CCW, but I carry it CCW without any problem and I don't even have a good holster for it yet, but I've got a CompTac Gladiator on the way.

It weighs 39 oz fully loaded with 14 230 gn JHP .45 ACP rounds - that's just about the weight of an UNLOADED 1911. No dig at 1911, I like them too, but just a known gun to compare weight to.

I shot the G21SF today - it delivered just as I expected it to. I took a G21 to Blackwater some time back and fired about 2500 rounds in the five day course and never had a problem. Just to relate how well the G21 shoots, we had one drill that was about 20 dingers in a long semi-circle with some targets near and of course those in the arch more distant. As I recall, the far targets were around 50 feet. We had to start at the left hand side of the semi-circle and shoot each target before proceeding to the next using only our strong arm i.e. we had to shoot the entire course with one hand. The guy with the best time was shooting a 9mm. I was about a second behind him in second place. Of course, not that anyone was keeping score, etc. But, the G21 shoots soft, even with one hand. Then during a complete brain fade, I sold the G21, so the G21SF was a replacement for the original.

Shooting:
    Hmmm, this thing must have the worst trigger of any Glock I have ever owned or shot. Or maybe I'm so use to Ghost Tactical connectors that I've forgot what a Glock trigger is really like. Anyway, I'll have a Ghost Tactical in it within a week or so and see if that improves the trigger and post an update about that.

Accuracy, it's a Glock, no problems whatsoever with accuracy. My groups were a little looser than normal but not by much. That's likely the trigger issue.

Zero mals - as expected (only 100 rounds). I noticed the heavier recoil as compared to my G17, but after I got into serious shooting, I realized I was no longer aware of recoil. The G21/G21SF is one of the softer shooting .45s even though they are one of the lightest. It must be because it sits deep in the hand.

So I'm quite pleased except for the trigger - I gotta do something about that. Probably will add some Hienie night sights as well.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Congrats. The 21SF is on my hit list. Sounds like you had a fun trip to go get it too. I love the way my 30SF shoots. It is a very soft shooter for a .45acp I took my wife to the range a couple of days ago and she was shooting my 19. I asked her to shoot my 30SF and she was afraid of the recoil. But after she shot it she was like that was not bad at all! It is also very accurate so I would guess the 21SF would be just if not more so.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Congratulations.

VIP Member
    I like the feel of the 21sf, though never shot one.
    My 21 shoots very nice and my 30 as well. A 21sf would be nice but I've got other purchases ahead of it on my list.
    congrats on the aquisition
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    ...My 21 shoots very nice and my 30 as well. A 21sf would be nice but I've got other purchases ahead of it on my list...
    If you already have a G21, it'd be hard to justify purchasing an SF model - there's just not enough difference. The smaller grip is nice, but it's still a grip of a 13 round double stack mag.

The orginal rail on the Glock 21s work just fine so there's not a real advantage to the new Picitinny rail.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    If you already have a G21, it'd be hard to justify purchasing an SF model - there's just not enough difference. The smaller grip is nice, but it's still a grip of a 13 round double stack mag.

The orginal rail on the Glock 21s work just fine so there's not a real advantage to the new Picitinny rail.
    yeah, thats why I said I've other purchases ahead of it on my list, its not a priority

and I would get one with the standard rail, not the picatinny
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Administrator
    I think the SF was a step in the right direction for Glock .45's, but like you said, there just isnt enough difference. I cant shoot either worth a darn, they are just to big for my tastes. I wish it were not true, I'd like to have one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I like them too, they are big...but not uncontrollably so to me anyway.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think the SF was a step in the right direction for Glock .45's, but like you said, there just isnt enough difference. I cant shoot either worth a darn, they are just to big for my tastes. I wish it were not true, I'd like to have one.
    They are pretty big, but I expect that any platform that holds 13 .45 ACP rounds in the grip is gonna be big. I've been meaning to compare the G21SF grip dims to a Beretta 92 FS; I'm thinkin' there may not be a lot of difference.

While I don't have an issue shooting them, magazine manipulations take some getting use to. At BW, I discovered I could do some things with 9mm double stacks that I couldn't with the bigger G21 mags.

los
    Congrats on your acquisition.

BTW, very good write-up!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Congrats on your acquisition.

BTW, very good write-up!
    Thanks, los, very kind of you.

Administrator
    Yup, I like my 9mm doubles... but its tough for me to walk away from a good old fashioned 45 single too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Yup, I like my 9mm doubles... but its tough for me to walk away from a good old fashioned 45 single too.
    Boy me too - like my 9mm doubles that is. I like the way they handle, shoot, and I'm even content with terminal performance.

But then, 14 rounds of .45ACP is exactly the same round count as our beloved 9mm 229s and 228s and probably not much more weight.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    But then, 14 rounds of .45ACP is exactly the same round count as our beloved 9mm 229s and 228s and probably not much more weight.
    I know... thats why I wish the G21SF would work out for me. My hands just are not big enough to get the grip I like on a pistol.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I know... thats why I wish the G21SF would work out for me. My hands just are not big enough to get the grip I like on a pistol.
    Maybe get a 21 or 21SF and then get a good company to do a stipple job. Might be just what the doctor ordered.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links