Defensive Carry banner

S&W m&p .40 vs. XD .40

18K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  MNBurl 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, Im looking for a new sub-sompact in a .40 to use as a carry wepon. I have been doin some shoping and found the Smith and Wesson M&P .40 and the Springifeld XD .40 are about $10 difference both around $550 new.
Both are great feeling guns I was wondering the opinions of those that have expierence with both.
Also they had a used M&P they will reduce down to $450, its a great looking gun as well and shows very little sighns of use. I have been considering this gun, but was informed that starting friday S&W will run a promotion, when you buy a new pistol they will throw in two EXTRA mags with it (which im told is an $87 value).

So give me yalls opinions please. Thanks, Robbie

#2 ·
I chose an XD primarily because in the size I wanted it fit my hand better than the M&P, and secondarily because I like the ability to verify by touch that a round is or isn't chambered.

Both are fine guns. You can't go wrong with either one.

#20 ·
Pretty close to my experience. I like the loaded chamber indicator. I like the cocked striker indicator. I like the grip safety. And the gun just fits my hand better.

But, in the S&W you have a gun that does not require you to pull the trigger to break it down for cleaning. That is a plus. And you can fit the grip to your hand.

My advice is the same as always in threads like this. Hold both, and if possible, shoot both and the go with the one that fits your hand best and that you shoot the best.

#3 ·
When I was choosing my first pistol in late 2007 I had narrowed it down to the XD and the M&P. I ended up with the M&P because the store was running a sale on top of the rebates offered by M&P. I have no idea if I would have been happy with the XD, but I am completely happy with the M&P. I now own two.

Your information on the new promotion is correct. However, the magazines come in the mail 6 to 8 weeks after you submit the coupon. I received an email from S&W about it, but it still isn't on their web site home page. Here is a link. http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/other/promos/SW_LoadUp_Half_Color.pdf

In spite of my preference for the M&P, I think either is a good choice.

#4 ·
This one is easy.

The XD may be eye candy to some, but it is still the same Croatian-made HS2000 that had a hard time selling when it was a $250 off-brand bargain pistol. It is amazing what Springfield's marketing department has been able to do with this firearm.

If you compare the XD to Smith's M&P line over the last few years, you will see a much more telling story. Since, its introduction in 2006 the M&P has won more than 370 LE agency "issue weapon" contracts. (more new contracts than any other brand in that time period) During that same period of time the XD has only been allowed to be on "approved sidearm" lists by some LE departments.

The M&P History:
The Smith & Wesson M&P (Military & Police) has always been a highly respected revolver from its introduction to today. Introduced in 1899, it became the standard by which every other medium-frame double-action revolver would be judged--as well as serving as the launching platform for one of the most influential handgun cartridges in history: the .38 S&W Special. The popularity of the M&P (aka Model 10) revolver grew so quickly that it was the most widely used police revolver in the free world.

The M&P line grew into a new brand of semi-auto handguns in 2006, and has become the biggest product launch in S&W's history. The company has been producing semi-auto handguns for more than 100 years, but it was not until 2006 that Smith & Wesson would roll out a semi-auto worthy of the M&P logo.

The NEW M&P semi-auto really is a worthy heir to the brand's name and reputation.

Did I mention that the M&P is made right here in the USA. During these times, it just makes sense to look closer to home for the things that are made by our citizens. I am not a blue-collar worker or even a union member, but I know for sure that if we keep buying foreign-manufactured goods at the current levels, we will all be looking for jobs... And finding none!

#15 ·
This one is easy.
Did I mention that the M&P is made right here in the USA. During these times, it just makes sense to look closer to home for the things that are made by our citizens. I am not a blue-collar worker or even a union member, but I know for sure that if we keep buying foreign-manufactured goods at the current levels, we will all be looking for jobs... And finding none!
Amen to this. My main shooting pistols are a Ruger and two M&Ps. I couldn't agree more with the above statement regarding buying foreign. This country is on a slippery slope and gaining downward velocity on so many different levels. I'm not a blue collar worker nor a union member, but I do buy American whenever I can.

#7 ·
I have had both M&P and XD platform pistols. By far, the M&P9c is my favorite. The ergonomics are better on the M&P and I like the way it points better than the XD. I'm already considering buying another M&P to compliment it.

The trigger is also much better on the M&P (not as much mush as the XD). The magazine rebate is also a good deal. The XD is much blockier than the M&P. I've found that I can conceal my M&P much easier for carry than the XD.

#8 ·
well, i guess ill be the loner in this thread.....i love my xd, granted its not a compact, but between the m&p which my co-worker carries, and loves over his xd, and my xd, i like the xd its easier to field stip for cleaning, i like the loaded chamber indicator better, and the ambidextrious mag release. of course i wouldnt tell anyone not to get an m&p.....you gotta go with what you like the best......my opinion, i like the xd better, just my 2 cents

#11 ·
The mag drop issue was fixed a long time ago. If you buddy is still having a problem he needs to call Smith and Wesson. They will either send him out a prepaid shipping label to send it back or they'll mail him the new and improved mag release to install.

#10 ·
Mag drop issues have been long fixed. If you get a chance go shoot them both, I think you'll find out why the M&P is becoming popular.

#14 ·
I have a M&P9C that dropped mags and I called S&W. They sent me a mailing slip and off I sent it where they fixed the mag problem and a problem that I had with the slide locking open with one round left in the mag.
Now over 600 rounds later I have not had one burp. Not one!
S&W fixed it for free and I was not the original owner.
I carry both this gun and my XD45C. No one should knock either company as they both have great guns.

#16 ·
I bought an XD 40 last Saturday. Finally got a chance tonight to use it tonight at the range.

All I can say is "WOW".

#17 ·
I have an XD9sc for my carry gun. The reason for my purchase is that I like the grip safety. The M&P comes with either no safety or a thumb safety that you have to remember to trip. I like to have a safety, but not have to worry about activating it...therefore I like the XD better.

#18 ·
I have a 40 and a 9 M&P and a XDm9. I have not had the XDm very long so I can not give you a good answer to your question. All I can say is that I really like both of my M&Ps and so far, I really like the XDm. Right now, my daily carry is the M&P compact 9. The 40 and the XDm are both more difficult to carry concealed...but at the range the XDm is becoming my favorite. My recommendation is to make good friends with someone at your range that has your choices and supply the ammo for a few trips. This way, you will answer your own question.

#23 ·
My XD 40 Service Is a great gun! The grip saftey is what sold me over a glock. I have seen torture tests done to them, Heat, Ice, Water, Mud and not being cleaned for thousands of rounds. They keep shooting. No major police has picked them up because it has something to do with production at the factory. I don't own or have fired a m&p but there is No reason to dis the XD. Go to a range and fire them both and see which is Best for You.

#24 ·
I looked at both the XD and M&P as well as the Beretta PX4 Storm...ended up with the M&P. I love it and don't regret the decision one bit. the XD felt good, but to me felt a little heavy/off centered toward the muzzel end. I also didn't like that in the highly unlikely case I was injured or needed to fire from an unconventional hold that I had the grip saftey to worry about with the XD. YMMV

as others have said...I don't think you could go wrong with either.

#25 ·
M&Pc

I purchased my compact M&P 40 after researching it extensively. Most of the comments have been made already, but I'll add one more thing about the trigger and the lack of a safety.

The dual-blade trigger on the XD is an old idea made popular by Glock. It works great and I'm sure it's not a big deal—we're talking aesthetics really. The M&P has a really innovative/updated design that does the same thing an XD or Glock would do with the dual-blade. It has a hinged trigger that provides the extra level of safety the XD/Glock's dual-blade and palm safety provide.

You can get it with a manual safety, if you plan on someone getting hold of your gun, or, if you have a bad habit of putting your finger in the trigger guard when you're not planning on firing the weapon. If you have more sense than this, one could make the old argument about safeties on DAO pistols: you may forget to take it off when you need it. Otherwise, the trigger, as with the XD, should prevent if from firing if accidently dropped. I say SHOULD because no safety replaces common sense, practice and safe handling.

I like not having the safety for one reason. If I pull my M&P out to protect myself and/or others, it WILL fire—period. That is, unless I have a bad round.

Anyway, I love the gun and I've heard others say it will take over as the next Glock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.