I shot my new Glock 17; I was stunned at what I found...

This is a discussion on I shot my new Glock 17; I was stunned at what I found... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a new Glock 17 Wednesday and wasn’t sure why since I already had a G-17 2nd gen, a G-19, G-26, and a 2nd ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Moderator

I bought a new Glock 17 Wednesday and wasn’t sure why since I already had a G-17 2nd gen, a G-19, G-26, and a 2nd gen G-22 (for sale BTW, make me an offer) and rarely shoot them. But for some reason I wanted one with the rail, never cared much for the finger grooves, but of course that’s not an option.

I forced some time out of my afternoon yesterday to shoot the G-17 at the indoor range. I have to say that I was stunned at what I (re-) discovered.

Stun 1:
    I thought it would be smart to compare the G-17 to my H&K P2000 LEM. I couldn’t wait to shoot the Glock so I shot it first. I slow fired 10 rounds; the groups weren’t all that impressive, esp. since Sunday I had put five shots from a Sig 226R in a hole the size of a nickel from the same distance. I shot the P2000 next; that’s when it happened. I noticed significant recoil and muzzle flip. And, the groups weren’t any better. After 10 rounds through the P2000, I had no more interest in wasting rounds through the P2000 that I could shoot in the G-17. So stun 1 was the Glocks low recoil.

Stun 2:
    I began to speed things up and worked up to about 5 shots in 3 seconds. Stun 2 was how easy it was to control the Glock in rapid fire. Sure, I can do that with other guns too, but this was different. Almost as soon as I fired, that big white dot was back on target. I also noticed how low the gun sat in my hand. Out of 90 rounds, the bulk fired 5 in 3 secs., only two were just outside the ten ring and...well my butchered pic at least shows the results. The pic got scrambled but I included it anyway.

Stun 3:
    Those big, wide, clunky Glock sights - did you realize the front sight on Glocks are too wide? And what’s more, the rear sight has that big white outline. What good is that? Well that’s what I thought anyway, and they may truely be a bit wide for precision shooting. I typically put Trijicon night sights on my handguns. The Trijicons are narrower and are the three dot type. However, in good light I never use the dots; I only see the sights outline. But yesterday, I could see that big white dot on that "too wide" sight, clearly and quickly and as soon as the dot was on target I could shoot. So stun 3 was how effective I could shoot with those klutzy Glock sights.

Stun 4:
    I didn’t have a tendency to shoot high? What’s that all about? I’ve always maintained that one of the problems with Glock is the more acute grip angle. I’ve actually seen national competition shooters try to transition to a Glock and have all kinds of problems with their hits going high. Not so yesterday. Nor did the grip angle feel awkward or unnatural. It is still a bit disconcerting that all my other guns have a different grip angle. Maybe I can put them in a vise or press and bend them to the Glock’s angle so they’ll all be the same.

Stun 5:
    Not to me, but maybe to you – I love Glock triggers - always have. I still believe extra precautions need to be taken with Glocks when holstering and handling and I still see more potential for a UD in some circumstances than with other trigger actions. But as far as the trigger action itself, I love ‘em! They’re relatively light, short stroke, and short reset. And the reset is the most noticeable "click" I have experienced.

Some observations:
    I could readily live without that little trigger safety thingy. I suppose it’s there for a little added safety, although I’m not sure what safety it provides. If something pulls the trigger the little safety thingy is automatically deactivated. I guess in the case of a drop??? But in the past, I’ve actually had that trigger safety get pressed to the left by my trigger finger during fast draw and fire drills and block the trigger. Not good! Strangely, I’ve never heard of anybody else experiencing that. That can only mean that I'm too fast for a Glock.

I could not release the mag without changing my grip - never have been able to. I’ll put a G-34 mag release in it and if that doesn’t do it, I’ll put a TopGlock mag release on it – they always work for me.

I don’t like Glock mags!

Night sights. That’s a problem. I believe in night sights but, with the success I had with the stock sights and the ability to see the white dot so readily, I’m reluctant to change anything. What I’d really like to try is an XS big dot but with a squared profile at the top instead of the round profile. And, a notched rear to match. But, alas, that’s not available. Hmmm, there might be a set of those out in my machine shop hiding in a bar of 6061 aluminum. But I may try a yellow or orange dot instead of white….Hmmmm….what am I going to be doing Saturday???

Probably gonna get a LaserMax (about $289) and give that a try.

ASAP, I’ll polish all those magic trigger points that need to be polished. I know – they don’t really need it, but it’s a compulsion. Other than that, gonna leave it stock.

In closing, I know this is too long, I must be reverting back to my old habits.

Edited to make the G-27 a G-26.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Tangle; February 10th, 2006 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    But as far as the trigger action itself, I love ‘em! They’re relatively light, short stroke, and short reset. And the reset is the most noticeable "click" I have experienced.
    Try the Ghost Rocket, factory weight. You. Will. Be. In. Heaven!
    http://ghostinc.zoovy.com/

Administrator

Thumbs up

NOTHING I love more than seeing a forum member blasting a nice Multi~Shot hole right out of the middle of a Man target.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Nice shooting Tangle, good review too! Always like reading about satisfying gun buys and good range reports.
    Jack

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar
    You are now Combat Carrys Official or un-Official Glock 17 Master.
    Thank's for the report.

Good shooting. Much as I want to hate Glocks, I really need to shoot one before I can say that definitively. It's just so hard to put that initial prejudice aside.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner
    Good shooting. Much as I want to hate Glocks, I really need to shoot one before I can say that definitively. It's just so hard to put that initial prejudice aside.
    Well, I think it'd be accurate and honest to say that they're not for everyone, but then what gun is?

I use to swear by them and probably changed for the sake of change and now I've come full circle.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    Try the Ghost Rocket, factory weight. You. Will. Be. In. Heaven!
    http://ghostinc.zoovy.com/
    Man, don't leave me hangin' here, tell me about them.

But, haven't I read mixed reviews about them?

Assistant Administrator
    Ron - something tells me you sorta liked shooting that gun!!

I have to say, last year when I shot an almost NIB 17 I also was pretty impressed. I was not as aware of ''that grip angle'' as I expected and fast shooting accuracy was amazing.

It may yet happen, that I become a Glocker
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Ron - something tells me you sorta liked shooting that gun!! :
    I'm planning to shoot it this afternoon and see if I like it.

I have to say, last year when I shot an almost NIB 17 I also was pretty impressed. I was not as aware of ''that grip angle'' as I expected and fast shooting accuracy was amazing.

It may yet happen, that I become a Glocker
    SAY WHAT?

Hmmm, I wonder if Glocks will fit Sig holsters....

JT
    Nor did the grip angle feel awkward or unnatural. It is still a bit disconcerting that all my other guns have a different grip angle. Maybe I can put them in a vise or press and bend them to the Glock’s angle so they’ll all be the same.

Watch it. With talk like that you may shoot pass "Glocker" to the rank of "Glockaholic".

I finnally added a G17 to my Glock collection last year. I love it.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JT

Watch it. With talk like that you may shoot pass "Glocker" to the rank of "Glockaholic".

I finnally added a G17 to my Glock collection last year. I love it.
    Hey JT,

I think I'm already running a fever - is there a cure?

Here's another symptom - I just ordered a Ghost Rocket Connector based on Rob72's recommendation, and I didn't even intend to do anything but polish the trigger. It's like an addiction. No, no, I can stop anytime I want to.

Assistant Administrator
    It's like an addiction. No, no, I can stop anytime I want to.
    Haha - you got it bad Ron - and hey - this is just the beginning

Don't desert the SIG's tho - would hate to lose you in the SIG club
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Haha - you got it bad Ron - and hey - this is just the beginning

Don't desert the SIG's tho - would hate to lose you in the SIG club
    No sir! There'll not be any Sig desertion! They're part of the family! When I get through slumin' they'll be there for me. That oughta light up some folks!

Speakin of shootin' though, it won't be long now till I'll be on the range!

Hmmm, I wonder if Glocks will fit Sig holsters....
    If you shove hard enough they'll fit in PPk holsters!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links