Range Report XDM9, G19 and XD 45c with XS Big Dots

This is a discussion on Range Report XDM9, G19 and XD 45c with XS Big Dots within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally got a chance to shoot the XDM 9mm and G19 for the first time. Tried each with Gold dot 147gr and 147gr HST's. I ...

Thread: Range Report XDM9, G19 and XD 45c with XS Big Dots

Range Report XDM9, G19 and XD 45c with XS Big Dots

Finally got a chance to shoot the XDM 9mm and G19 for the first time. Tried each with Gold dot 147gr and 147gr HST's. I wanted to see if either handgun prefered one over the other...well the Glock grouped both loads very close to the same. It grouped the GD's only slightly better, not enough to even matter. The Glock performed flawlessly as usual. Great trigger even better than my Gen.II G21. Overall great investment and would highly recommend it.
    The XDM9 was a little different. It did prefer the GD's much more than the HST's. Groups were very tight and centered from 20ft with GD's but it shot HST's slightly left and more spread. I repeated the test later after a break with very similar results. Granted, these are only my personal findings and not intended to bash the HST's. I personally like Federal ammo. I only shoot Federal Nosler Partition's in my 270 hunting rifle, because it patterns the best. Now back to the XDM, that wasnt the only suprise, the trigger pull is not what I expected from Springfield. It wasnt that heavy but it was loooong. With the Glock, you take up the slack, and the break is clean. You simply add pressure and the shot goes off by surprise, no perceived movement after you take up the slack. The XDM has alot of creep. I felt the trigger slip rearward twice after take-up before the trigger breaks. Doesnt make slow accurate shots easy. It did perform reliably and even with a TLR-1 attached I was able to drill the center nearly every time. You would think that with the "match" barrel they would have given it a good trigger to complete the package. With Gold Dots and the TLR-1, it is now my nightstand gun.
    Now to my favorite of all. I would give up all the others before I would give up my XD 45c. "To ME", it is the best of all. It is the best fitting handgun I own. I can carry 11 rounds in a very concealed package or 14 rounds without changing the ergonomics. I added the Pearce grip extension to the 10 round mags and it fits my hand PERFECT. It was very accurate with Blazer practice ammo but Gold Dots patterned slightly right??? I didnt like the 6 o'clock hold with the stock sights either. Since I decided it would be my EDC, I was going to put on a set of XS Big dot sights. Wow, that front sight jumps out at you. I think it is a perfect combat sight, but then again I think the stock Glock sights would be perfect if they were tritium. With the XS sights, put that dot on the target and fire away. It is going to take some practice to get used to the vertical alignment. I dont want to screw-up under stress. The round impacts right where you hold but I did have to drift the rear sight slightly to get it there finally. Guess I can start stocking up on some Gold Dots. By the way, the TLR-1 tactical light I have is the new C4 135 lumen version and WOW is it bright. Do not shine it at a wall during a tactical night search, you will lose your night vision and will be seeing spots. It might actually be too bright for the home but I live on 20 acres on the edge of town so it may have to be used outside also. Hope this was helpful in some way. Happy hunting.
    XD45c and G19...Because I can and this is still America at least for a little while longer.
    Food for thought - If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
    Any mouse-flavored cat food?
    Only in America do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the report!

Very good info.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I love the Big Dots on my XD45C too. I like those sights so much that I'm putting them on a G30 SF I just bought.

Great report! Thanks for the info.

Like you, I'm a bit surprised at the trigger on your XDM 9mm. I have an XD9sc I got last year and really like the trigger. Different but every bit as good and crisp as my G-23.

+1 on the Big Dots! I got 'em on my XD9sc. Love them!

The only problem with my tritium sights on my G-23 is they are all green vials and 3 dot configuration. I have had to slow picking up the sights to ensure the front sight isn't outside the two rear dots. If I had contrasting colors, that wouldn't be a problem I'm guessing.

However with the Big Dot's, It's All Good! No worries there. And the green tritium kind of makes the white outer ring stand out too if it's not too dark in the room.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have thought about getting a set of Big Dots for the G19 and just replace the front sight, but im not sure how that will effect sight alignment. Anyone try this ????
    XD45c and G19...Because I can and this is still America at least for a little while longer.
    Food for thought - If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
    Any mouse-flavored cat food?
    Only in America do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering.

Quote Originally Posted by im22sniper View Post
    ...The round impacts right where you hold but I did have to drift the rear sight slightly to get it there finally.
    I've asked myself this question....

If the front sight and the rear sight are centered properly on the slide and you still feel the need to "drift" the rear sight to get your POI to match your POA, is it the gun or your trigger control?

I was having some issues hitting low left when I first installed my XSBD on my G19. Heard this was common for whatever reason...
    anyway, when I installed the sights, I made sure that I got them centered, so I figured it couldn't be the gun/sights.
    I finally realized that I was "overgripping" the front strap which was probably causing the front of the barrel to dip left when I pulled the trigger. Proper hand grip for me is to get the middle pads of my fingers on the front strap so I can get proper front to back pressure on my shooting hand/trigger pull.

I was never sold on windage adjustments for pistol sights.

Good article. I agree my XDM 9 doesn't have the trigger I thought it would. It sure shoots straight though. Its probably going on the chopping block soon because of that.

Links