Beretta 70s or Rugar SP-101???

This is a discussion on Beretta 70s or Rugar SP-101??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my dad has a nice Beretta 70 stainless that he is willing to sell me cheap but after reading so many favorable reviews and ...

Thread: Beretta 70s or Rugar SP-101???

Question Beretta 70s or Rugar SP-101???

So my dad has a nice Beretta 70 stainless that he is willing to sell me cheap but after reading so many favorable reviews and him being very happy with his Rugar SP-101 I am debating which would be better for CC as well as OC? The thing I like about the Rugar is I can get it with the laser grip... Any opinions and advice is welcomed

2. Remove Ads

I am partial to revolvers myself... never fail. But I have never held a Beretta 70.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I never heard of the 70. Not that means anything. I didn't know much about the sp-101 till I got one. I love my sp-101 357 mag.
    As everyone says about them, they are over built and will last forever. And I really like the looks. It just looks RIGHT.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The Beretta will be easier to conceal but being an old model, holsters may be hard to find other than generic one size fits all "bag" holsters. But it is a very respected CCW. FWIW, it is probably nickle, not stainless, as I don't think it came in a stainless form...BICBW.

Beretta

The Beretta 70 has been out of production for a long time. If you were to break a spring or a firing pin or other small part, you'd be stuck. Spare magazines will likely be hard to find, and I doubt if there will be factory support. It is kind of cool looking in a film noir kind of way. The Ruger is built like a tank, super sturdy, and modern. No comparison. I'd go with the SP101 if it was me. If you find you want a little .32 or .380, buy a Kel Tec or maybe a Tomcat or a 85F Beretta.

sounds like the Rugar is the way to go I like being able to fix things that I own when they break and getting parts are definitely a good thing even though I could probably just make them on the CNC Mill :-)

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'd LOVE to have that model 70 just to have it but given the choice between the two for CCW I'd go with the SP101 due to caliber plus what's been noted in other folks posts. I've never owned or shot a 70 but seems like it would be comparable to a Walther PPK in .380, a nice gun but If I could only have one I'd want the .38/.357 in what I would think would be a more reliabel package over many years to come.

If the 70 is super reliable and you can get parts then I might feel differently if you could replace some springs and be good to go and i'm assuming this one is in .380, not .32 or .22?

I love my SP101. It's solid and built like a rock. The price is resonable and the gun is going to last forever. Plus, look up the ballistics on the .357 Mag. That was a selling point for me as well.
    God Bless America!!

the 70 is a 38... I think that I will go with the SP-101 seems like the more logical choice for CC...

OK, now I'm really confused. You said your dad has a Beretta Model 70S. That patricular pistol was made in .22LR, .32 ACP and .380 ACP but you said it was a "38".

For CCW either will work, however you are truly comparing apples to oranges; the Beretta is a semiautomatic, the Ruger is a revolver - two separate and distinct operating systems. The Beretta is a single action semiautomatic, meaning it must be cocked, or the slide racked, for the first shot (if the slide needs to be racked the chamber is empty, meaning you have an "unready" gun). The Ruger is a double action revolver - fill the chambers, pull the trigger, repeat as necessary. For a novice or someone who doesn't want to be bothered with too many moving thingies on thier gun a double action revolver is the way to go. Add to that, power-wise, the Ruger beats the Beretta hands down, even in the weakest .38 Special load (which I believe would be a 148gr. wadcutter target load).

My choice for an emergency response tool would be the Ruger.
    "Lawyers, Guns and Money"

The Model 70 is a great little gun. Very slim, very reliable, and very cool. New magazines are easy to find, and parts are available if you do a little digging, say at Brownell's or Bob's Gun Shop.
    It can be carried cocked-and-locked, too.

Senior Moderator
    To jump om the band wagon

Ruger
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

SP101 all the way

Beretta all the way!

I own both a 38 special snub (Charter Arms Undercover) and a Beretta 70S .380 ACP.
    For me the answer is in the numbers, that being capacity. Granted the revolver has the edge in horsepower.
    However, imagine an initial encounter where you have discharged 2-3 rounds. With the revolver you have 2-3 rounds left (possibly just two).With the Beretta you have 5-6, essentially a fully loaded revolver. Also, with the newer .380 defensive loads the ballistics are very similar.
    To me the main advantage of the small frame revolver, especially the S&W Airweight, is the greatly improved carriabiliy compared to the Beretta. But I'll take eight rounds in the bank, from a quality semi-auto anytime!

As far as repairs, it is highly unlikely that you would ever experience a mechanical failure with a Beretta pistol unless you fire many thousands of rounds through it. My 70S was purchased new in 1982 and has about 1000 rounds fired. I don't think it will break in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bipeman View Post
    I own both a 38 special snub (Charter Arms Undercover) and a Beretta 70S .380 ACP.
    For me the answer is in the numbers, that being capacity. Granted the revolver has the edge in horsepower.
    However, imagine an initial encounter where you have discharged 2-3 rounds. With the revolver you have 2-3 rounds left (possibly just two).With the Beretta you have 5-6, essentially a fully loaded revolver. Also, with the newer .380 defensive loads the ballistics are very similar.
    To me the main advantage of the small frame revolver, especially the S&W Airweight, is the greatly improved carriabiliy compared to the Beretta. But I'll take eight rounds in the bank, from a quality semi-auto anytime!

As far as repairs, it is highly unlikely that you would ever experience a mechanical failure with a Beretta pistol unless you fire many thousands of rounds through it. My 70S was purchased new in 1982 and has about 1000 rounds fired. I don't think it will break in my lifetime.
    Dude, welcome to the forum, but this thread is from Feb 2009. I think his dilemma has been solved by now.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Links