Any reason NOT to carry a .45?

This is a discussion on Any reason NOT to carry a .45? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got back from the toy store and was comparing the Taurus PT111 and the PT145. They are VERY close in size. In fact, the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Just got back from the toy store and was comparing the Taurus PT111 and the PT145. They are VERY close in size. In fact, the slide is identical and the handle is only slightly fatter. And you're getting 10+1 rounds of .45. So back to my question, why shouldn't I? Obviously I was handling unloaded weapons. Would 10 rounds of .45 weigh that much more than 12 rounds of 9mm?

Also I was very impressed with the 24/7 compact version which is not much bigger than the millenium adding 2 more rounds of .45 ACP.

Oh, the tough decisions we face....
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you really need it, you will need it really fast. ALWAYS one in the chamber.
    Nuf said!

The age old question. Caliber vs. physical size, weight, and capacity. Everything is a compromise. Only you can answer which you're willing to compromise on in order to gain the other.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Well, if you are talking 230 grain .45s and 115 grain 9mms it is going to be much bigger difference than if you are talking 185 grainers and 147s.

But on a more serious note, 437 grains to an ounce.
    10 rounds of .45 = 2300 grains ( I know I am not including brass powder and primers) or about 5.25 ounces.
    12 rounds of 9mm (115s) = 1800 grains or about 4.1 ounces.
    If you go to the other extremes you have 1850 grains in .45 and 1764 for the 9mm.

So the biggest difference not including brass powder and primer is about an ounce and a sixth.

Is that a big deal? Only you can decide.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cv7713 View Post
    ..................................no.............. ..................................

VIP Member
    The only realistic reason is ammo cost. .45 ammo costs about double the price of 9mm. If I were buying for the first time I would go with 9mm purely on a cost basis. Half price ammo means twice the practice.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

i know of no reason. I carry a 9mm xdsc. great weapon. great cc.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Its a personal decision based on how well you shoot the gun (accuracy/follow up shots/grip/controls etc....), capacity, ammo cost might matter to some, quality of the firearm, size, weight, cost to purchase, aftermarket support, parts availability, manufacturer customer service/warranty etc.... compared to what is important to you vs what you are willing to do without and compromise on...........

It is very subjective.

I personally don't like Taurus. I feel there are much higher quality manufacturers out there with better customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post

So the biggest difference not including brass powder and primer is about an ounce and a sixth.

And that once and a sixth will be imperceptible with a good holster and belt.

The only realistic reason is ammo cost. .45 ammo costs about double the price of 9mm. If I were buying for the first time I would go with 9mm purely on a cost basis. Half price ammo means twice the practice.
    very true... thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Well, if you are talking 230 grain .45s and 115 grain 9mms it is going to be much bigger difference than if you are talking 185 grainers and 147s.

But on a more serious note, 437 grains to an ounce.
    10 rounds of .45 = 2300 grains ( I know I am not including brass powder and primers) or about 5.25 ounces.
    12 rounds of 9mm (115s) = 1800 grains or about 4.1 ounces.
    If you go to the other extremes you have 1850 grains in .45 and 1764 for the 9mm.

Is that a big deal? Only you can decide.

good info.... thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post

I personally don't like Taurus. I feel there are much higher quality manufacturers out there with better customer service.
    Not stuck on them but if you can point me to the same quality weapon or higher sub $400, I am all ears!!!
    Nuf said!

I am happy to have more guns, two of everything. But for carry, long ago I decided the best option for me was a consistent manual of arms. I may carry any one of five different guns of three different calibers - but they all function exactly the same. All other things being equal as possible, if the dress code and situation allows, I prefer a .45. Why? Not just because it throws the biggest bullet - because for defensive style shooting I am most practiced and most accurate with a large .45 pistol.

Weight is not an issue, a good gun belt and holster is though. Control is concern one. I am not that much more accurate with a .45 than a .40 or 9mm to give me pause. I have a little edge with .45 because personal preference leads to more .45 reloads and more .45 practice.

Those are my metrics. What are yours?

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    +1. I would go 9mm strictly on cost. With the improvements made to the 9mm engineering, it really doesn't fall that short in stopping power from a .45
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

+1 with Klaatu I like the way he thinks....besides they don't make a 46
    When a Government become ultra concerned about its citizen's guns its time to beconcerned about the Governments long term plans Me

VIP Member
    Also remember in a smaller gun like the PT145 the felt recoil will be more than in the PT911. Just something to think about.

No reason at all not to carry a 45. What ever improvements they made to a 9mm they made to a 45. More mass (weight) means more penetration and energy.

Quote Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
    No reason at all not to carry a 45. What ever improvements they made to a 9mm they made to a 45. More mass (weight) means more penetration and energy.
    too much penetration? or no?

At first, I would think not because it's traveling slower but I don't know....
    Nuf said!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links