XS sights

XS sights

This is a discussion on XS sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Almost posted this in another post but did not want to highjack that one so will Post my own. I have thought about putting the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XS sights

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

XS sights

Almost posted this in another post but did not want to highjack that one so will Post my own.

I have thought about putting the XS sights on my XD but the Big dot just almost looks to BIG. Has anyone tried to standard size? Do they jump out at my too?

So main question would be; Standard size or the Big Dot?

My eye sight is getting so that I can no longer see the sights clearly.

Thanks for your comments!!
    Last edited by Bill MO; February 26th, 2009 at 07:51 PM.

Big Dots for me!

I'm middle aged with bifocals. I have a few guns with tritium sights but they are all traditional 3 dot configuration.

With all 3 tritium vials of the same color, I was having problem ensuring that my front sight wasn't actually outside of the rear sights during low light training.

So, when I purchased my XD9sc last year, I ordered the Big Dot tritium sights and had them installed at Springfield's custom shop before they shipped the gun.

Sight acquisition had a marked improved from my very first range session. Since then I've gotten better and better and love them all the more.

I will add XS Big Dots to more of my guns as the tritium of the old sights fade out some more.

I've had my G-23 about 11 years now and Trijicon's are definitely not as bright as they first were.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

There have been several threads on these sights that you may want to look for...

Short answer is that I like the Big Dot...I've had them on my pistols for a couple of years now and have used them in several classes, including FOF training.

here are a couple of clips that show them in action...the second one will give you an idea of what they look like when you're shooting.
    YouTube - XS Sight Demo

YouTube - XS Sight Demo II
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

EW3
    Big Dots!

I have them on my Sig and when I look at my XD with regular 3 dot night sights, they look too tiny.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I have standard dots on my P220, which is also my IDPA gun. I like them a lot. I can also still shoot at 25 yards with them on an IDPA torso target, because the front standard dot is just about the size of the down zero.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

VIP Member
    With a threat-focused cone of vision, the big front dot may just be visible, quite an improvement over conventional front sights. Very few gunfight survivors recall seeing the sights at all. At night the SX tritium front dot is no larger than other night sights, so IMO replacing the rear is optional unless its brightness has degraded. Instinct, point, and blind shooting are still skills not to be neglected.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Does the big front dot "overfill" the rear box sight on Glocks?

Big Dots on my XD 45c. I love them but it takes some practice to re-train your brain.
    XD45c and G19...Because I can and this is still America at least for a little while longer.
    Food for thought - If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
    Any mouse-flavored cat food?
    Only in America do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering.

Quote Originally Posted by im22sniper View Post
    I love them but it takes some practice to re-train your brain.
    Sensory Overload as in "*** is that golf ball doing on my muzzle?"

VIP Member
    Took my two Big Dot sets to gunsmith for my two M&P's. He uses XS BD on his three SD .45's ("the only HG caliber worth owning") except with Novag crescent rear sights. He pointed out that XS makes a tritium post rear sight identical to the Big Dot set which he says does not have a tritium post rear sight - it has a white stripe that doesn't glow in the dark. The XS Big Dot front / Tritium Post rear seems an ideal configuration and I will give it serious consideration. I expect to get the guns with new sights this weekend.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I'd put money on that we probably wont even remember seeing that "golf ball" in a self defense situation. I bet it helps though.
    XD45c and G19...Because I can and this is still America at least for a little while longer.
    Food for thought - If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
    Any mouse-flavored cat food?
    Only in America do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberline View Post
    Does the big front dot "overfill" the rear box sight on Glocks?
    Big Dots come as a set and have their own tritium post rear sight. I run Big Dot tritiums on my Glocks. IMO, the best sights I've ever tried.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

There are two high-speed groups, with differing opinions on these. Yeager (TRP/GetOffTheX) is a die-hard Big Dot guy. Rogers and many of the group at TPI have found the BD to be too large for partial target acquisition. I agree with the latter.

You will have a hard time getting a fraction of a head behind a "friendly" with a BD, even at 15 yards. I've used "Standards" since the year after Ashley Emerson marketed them (before the Big Dot was even a concept). I tried BDs, and have gone back to the Standard.

+1 on Big Dot! Have it installed on my G27 and it's GREAT. While I love the classic sight picture, my eyes have told me that it's time to move into a reality based show. Everything I could want and an easy install to boot!

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Thanks guys for your comments. Rob72 I think you nailed my concerns of the BD. I have always been a AIM SMALL HIT SMALL guy but can no longer get a good clear sight picture with normal iron sights. I have Heinnie night sights now on my EDC. In the dark they work great with the two dots, but in daylight I just can't see the post in the notch. Rob with the Standards is there enough white around the outer edge to see with poor eyesight? I have never seen any of the XS sight in person only pictures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links