Handgun for Home Defense

Handgun for Home Defense

This is a discussion on Handgun for Home Defense within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking of a picking up a handgun to compliment my shotgun for home defense but don't know where to begin. In trying to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Handgun for Home Defense

I was thinking of a picking up a handgun to compliment my shotgun for home defense but don't know where to begin. In trying to narrow this search down to a few options, here are some of my parameters. Please let me know if there is a make/model that would meet my criteria - I am sure there are many.

1. Caliber - I'd prefer a 40 or a 45 at a minimum, not interested in 9mm for this purpose. So I am not sure which would be better for HD, a 40 vs 45. based on my research, I am leaning towards the .45 to avoid over penetration. PS - should the 50 be considered here? I know nothing about the 50ae
    2. Capacity - I guess I would want as much capacity as possible since this will not be carried and weight/size is not an issue
    3. Look/Design - I really don't have a bias towards one design over another, ie 1911. I like most pistols. However, I do like Stainless guns and would prefer this one to be stainless and/or polished - something shiny and cool!! Since this won't be carried weight is not an issue.
    4. Reliability - Obviously since this scenario would include defending my home & family, reliablity is a top priority.
    5. Cost effective - I don't want to sacrifice reliability or performance but I am also not willing to drop 1G on a pistol so I would prefer it to be $750 & under, preferably $600 & under, although I relize I might be strectching.
    6. Other Factors? - I would consider adding any other considerations/features that I am missing and/or you think are important to add to my list.

Look fwd to hearing some reccomendations.
    PICS WOULD BE A HUGE HELP!!!

Well, while overpenetration is a good concern, you should note that any round of sufficient power is going to penetrate at least a few walls, without doubt. In addition, people have found that a handgun round penetrates more (yes, more!) through a building than even a rifle round like a .223. So whatever ammo you choose, obviously you need to mindful of the backstop.

As far as .40 vs. 45, I think its generally agreed that both are very good cartridges. In the end, do whatever you like more!

Ultimately, what matters is what you can personally handle the best and most instinctively (there's no time or ability to think beyond a very basic level when the adrenaline hits), as well as possibly something your partner/spouse could use in case you go down or are unable to continue the fight.

Sounds to me like maybe a lower priced 1911 might be a good fit for you. Maybe a Springfield 1911? Most people have had very good experiences with them, and they fit into your price range brand new.

Absolutely beautiful; I've always loved these (fully loaded model with the crossed cannon grips)

(disclaimer: not my picture! Sorry if its one of yours who are reading this thread and I used it; I found it on Google image search. From what I could find it belongs to "pa_guns" at m1911.org forums. If you really want me to take it down please PM a mod and let them know)

Are you going to get some training and lots of practice?

If it is strictly range/home with no concern for conceivability you are better served with a large size. This will reduce felt recoil and other good things. My personal choice is a Sig Sauer P220 in .45 ACP. If you get 50 responses you will get 100 recommendations. Your comfort and accuracy with the weapon count more than caliber and capacity.

/standing back to watch the show ;)

PS .50 for home defense? Not unless Godzilla is coming.

I like the sig and that 1911. Very nice.

I know you said stainless. But I have a G21SF for HD and I cannot think of a better option. Reliable, accurate, hi capacity, powerful and easy to shoot. Put a light on and voila!
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

M&P 40 or 45 would be a great choice and meets all your requirements.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Any one of these should get the job done,and the little lady can handle the Berretta Tomcat 32 call,small but deadly.

Just the shiny ones

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Well, while overpenetration is a good concern, you should note that any round of sufficient power is going to penetrate at least a few walls, without doubt. In addition, people have found that a handgun round penetrates more (yes, more!) through a building than even a rifle round like a .223. So whatever ammo you choose, obviously you need to mindful of the backstop.

As far as .40 vs. 45, I think its generally agreed that both are very good cartridges. In the end, do whatever you like more!

Ultimately, what matters is what you can personally handle the best and most instinctively (there's no time or ability to think beyond a very basic level when the adrenaline hits), as well as possibly something your partner/spouse could use in case you go down or are unable to continue the fight.

Sounds to me like maybe a lower priced 1911 might be a good fit for you. Maybe a Springfield 1911? Most people have had very good experiences with them, and they fit into your price range brand new.

Absolutely beautiful; I've always loved these (fully loaded model with the crossed cannon grips)

(disclaimer: not my picture! Sorry if its one of yours who are reading this thread and I used it; I found it on Google image search. From what I could find it belongs to "pa_guns" at m1911.org forums. If you really want me to take it down please PM a mod and let them know)
    My weapon of choice is a Full Size Springfield 1911. The Mil-Spec will do EVERTHING you need it to do at a great price!

Second choice is the SIG P220 Carry. Not shiney bit you don't need or really want a shiney gun for SD IMO.

.45 is a KA round. 230 gr. Speer Gold Dots are a great round with plenty of stopping power.

Here's my SA Standard and it's been my Buddy for 18+ years.

I've shot the SIG 220 and love it. You can always have a brushed hard chrome finish applied later If you really want it. These 2 are top quality and won't let you down.

Regards,

Roger SG

SA 1911 Standard (same as mil-spec)

SIG P220 Carry

Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

when you ask this type of question you will get the answer that the "biggest" cal is the best. but you need to take a look at what gun your wife can shoot. it is a 50/50 chance that you will not be there and it will be up to the wife. if you have a gun that she does not like to shoot, then she will not be 100% when she needs to be. so the best home defense hand gun is a gun that your wife likes to shoot and will practive with. not some hand cannon that she does not like to shoot.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I think you are on the right track on caliber (.45 for less penetration if the recoil is not an issue). As far as the "shiny" part goes...carry a mirror...they are shiny and you can then use it to see how you look while holding your toy!

When you get serious about buying a real home deffense gun vs. one that will look cool while you protect your family (or just yourself)...check out the most reliable guns you hear about by shooting and handling every one of them before you purchase! Black, purple, green, silver or gold colored...it MUST shoot when you need it to or the best thing you could be looking at is the pearly gates.

Sorry, I go on and on...this is an old argument
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Based on your stated criteria, Springfield Armory 1911 in stainless, .45 ACP. Pop for the Loaded model, it's worth the little extra you'll pay, night sights, beavertail grip safety, extended ambidextrous safeties, long adjustable trigger and sharp edges smoothed.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Asking about the best .45 pistol is like asking what are the most comfortable shoes to wear.
    Ask 25 people and you'll get 25 different responses...

Now, I'd look at the Kimber line or the Glock line if only buying one...and it would be a 'full size' model if it were just for home defense, not carry.

OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you are looking for capacity as well as a large caliber look to the XD or the Glock. They are known for being reliable, if not pretty.

As far as worrying about the caliber in terms of the wife, I just don't see it as an issue. My wife started on my Kimber Warrior paperweight and she had no trouble with the round at all. She is a powderpuff so it isn't like she is some manly beast who just overpowers the uncontrollable .45 round... yes, I'm exaggerating... with a proper grip, she was fine with the .45... then she did her nails on the way home

My nightstand choice is The Judge.

Three .410 shots followed by two .45LC should be able to stop the threat if so needed... IMO

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you really need it, you will need it really fast. ALWAYS one in the chamber.
    Nuf said!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links