What happened to Stainless guns? whats the deal?

This is a discussion on What happened to Stainless guns? whats the deal? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just saw a USP 9mm compact with the Stainless slide and just said WoW to myself. Why are these guns not so common anymore. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to Stainless guns? whats the deal?

What happened to Stainless guns? whats the deal?

I just saw a USP 9mm compact with the Stainless slide and just said WoW to myself. Why are these guns not so common anymore. HK doent seem to make them. Sig has sharply shrunk what guns they sell in stainless and so on.

Is there a practical reason why there are fewer and few new stainless guns amongst makers like HK and Sig as far as realiability or durability? Is it a supply/ demand problem?

I know revolvers are a dime a dozen in stainless but it seems like there were a whole lot more then there are now.:
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

NRA member/TSRA member

2. Remove Ads

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I have two SS pistols by AMT and they are very heavy, maybe that is part of the reason.

Cheers,
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Sometimes stainless doesn't appear to be stainless. S&W M&P series metal parts are stainless, then coated in black Melonite.

The majority of quality 1911's are stainless, either bead blasted or coated.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Is SS a heavier metal then whats commonly used and blued? does anyone know what the weight ratio per lb. is between the metals?
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

NRA member/TSRA member

Are your referring to "Stainless" as a color or as the base metal of the slide/frame? Color wise, black does seem to be more popular than polished/brushed/tumbled stainless. It seems like the marketability of Tactical/Covert/Spec Ops type guns is ruling the firearms market.

I often wonder where the titanium and carbon fiber guns are!

I was referring to the exterior color.

NRA member/TSRA member

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I suspect it is an extra cost factor in manufacturing.

There is the weight issue.

Carbon steel is a little harder.

It is not desirable in military use.

There is a rumor that HK will be bringing out a stainless gun this year. I'm not holding my breath. The HK stainless is for some reason a very attractive finish, similar to Kahr. I generally don't go for it, but the HK won me over too.

This may be due to the '80's being over and people going for a little less "flash"

Most stainless is really not impervious to rust and corrosion, they are resistant but not impervious (for those of you in ReoLinda impervious in this case means that it is impossible for it to rust or corrode).

Most "stainless" guns still have a finish to seal out moisture for this reason.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Administrator

There is a heckova lot of misinformation in this thread already.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    There is a heckova lot of misinformation in this thread already.
    Agreed. My Sig is all black in color but I'm 100% positive the slide is made of stainless steel
    Sig Sauer P229 9mm
    Sig Sauer P238 .380
    Colt XSE 1911 .45

IMHO, black for tactical considerations. My first 1911 was in satin nickel when I was a naive 20-something. Recently, my gun education and CCW training have taught me that black is preferable tactically.

For a carry gun, why would someone take away any tactical advantage by carrying a reflective or more visible than black finish?
    Don't forget to bow as the chariot passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    IMHO, black for tactical considerations. My first 1911 was in satin nickel when I was a naive 20-something. Recently, my gun education and CCW training have taught me that black is preferable tactically.

For a carry gun, why would someone take away any tactical advantage by carrying a reflective or more visible than black finish?
    I see what your saying Gadfly, thats a good point. I would have to add to it the point that if your a LEO with an open carry piece, you dont really need the 'tactical advantage' of a black gun. If your a sheepdog concealed carrier, then you dont need the 'tactical advantage' of all black because if anyone can see your gun other than the person your about to shoot with it, then your not not concealing your gun right and are in jeopardy of getting a ticket or even losing your chl.

point being, unless your swat or military, I dont see any real world 'tactical advantage' in having a black gun over anything else.

NRA member/TSRA member

Alternate theory...

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    If I draw my gun because I fear for my life, I want my attacker to see it. It might make him stop what he is doing a second before I have to shoot him. I prefer that outcome. So if a stainless gun is more visible to him, that is better for me.

When the gun is concealed it is invisible regardless of surface finish, because it is covered by clothing and a holster.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    If I draw my gun because I fear for my life, I want my attacker to see it. It might make him stop what he is doing a second before I have to shoot him. I prefer that outcome. So if a stainless gun is more visible to him, that is better for me.

When the gun is concealed it is invisible regardless of surface finish, because it is covered by clothing and a holster.
    I was wondering what "tactical advantage" means when discussing defensive carry guns. The police and military don't want a shiny beacon, but civilian guns are used in different situations. I don't plan on ambushing too many muggers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links