2 guns in the same niche

This is a discussion on 2 guns in the same niche within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How/do you justify having 2 guns in the same niche? I am thinking about buying a s&w 3913 and a Kahr K9, but in my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 guns in the same niche

2 guns in the same niche

How/do you justify having 2 guns in the same niche?

I am thinking about buying a s&w 3913 and a Kahr K9, but in my mind they serve the same purpose.

2. Remove Ads

I try hard not to...

I have an XD-45, which has a compact length grip. I decided it was too big for all day, fully concealed comfort, in the environment that I needed it. I went to the gun store, and was sold an M&P 9c. Without my XD on the counter next to it, the M&Ps curves made it look considerably more concealable, and even smaller. After about a week with it, I made the mistake of holding them side by side, and compared the two from every angle. Although there were differences, not so much...

I now have my XD-45 and a Kahr PM-45. Certainly there are seriously notable differences there...

My third pistol, which really sees target type of use, is a 5 inch 686+ with a tapered barrel. It's not remotely concealable, and stays in a lock box under the bed. I fire it rarely, in truth.

Some folks have half a dozen 5 inch 1911s. Some have half a dozen S&W N frames. I think that's great for them, if they enjoy them. But it's not for me...

Each pistol fills it's role, and if another pistol comes along that might fill that role better, they trade spots. I do not have the tax bracket to actually collect firearms. For me, three pistols represents a pretty big cost financially.

I've been tempted to drop the 686, as my XD is enjoyable at the range, and does little else for me. I bought it because I'd never heard of a 5 inch, tapered, 686. After the coolness of it wore off, I had to find a reason to keep it. It can connect with an 8 inch target at 50 yards, with factory sights. So, to me, it's a good target shooter...

No, my pistols will always be different in nature and purpose. The Kahr has become the primary piece, the XD is my home defense piece, and the 686 is my cool looking occasional reach out and touch something a long way away piece...
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post

I am thinking about buying a s&w 3913 and a Kahr K9, but in my mind they serve the same purpose.
    How does a woman justify 3 purses that are about the same size? Whats to justify, if you can afford it get it.

As to your second statement, your right. They serve the same purpose, to defend yourself if needed. Any defensive gun you buy is going to serve the same purpose.

Justify, schmustify.

I have 5 full-size .45's, from 3 different manufacturers.

I have them because I can. Do I need a better reason?
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar

Why do you need to justify anything? Personally at 50 years old my days of justifing my actions are over. I work hard, I make good money and I buy what I want....If you want it get it. I have many firearms somewhere around 65 at last count including...handguns, rifles, shotguns, cowboy guns, blackpowder guns, milsurps and very few of them do I really need. I have friends with collections that make my collection look small. I like to shoot and collect guns so I purchase what interests me and what I want. I have around 12 CCW options and sure some basically fill the same niche, but as long as they are relaible and I am comfortable with them so be it. Options are good. Its still America at least for now so get it if you want it, do your part to stimulate the economy. He who dies with the most guns wins!
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have a little "overlap"

For example, I have a Kahr P9 for carry, it's 9mm and lightweight and very concealable, then I have a Kahr MK9 it's WAY more concealable but only 1 less round. And it's heavier to help w/recoil/muzzle flip, so I consider that some "overlap" They're very similar, same caliber. If one goes down for any reason, I have a 2nd 9mm that can fill in.

Then I have a Ruger LCP and a Keltec P3AT; both .380 pocket guns. Again if one goes down (like LCP going in for recall) then I can still keep going.

For .38 I have 2 revolvers at present and will take delivery of a 3rd in a few days.
    -1st is a 642, pocket carry .38
    -2nd Ruger SP101 3"; gives me .357 capability and it's good for a woods gun and IWB carry
    -3rd, Pre-Lock stainless S&W 60-12; it's all stainless to be carried IWB but it's smaller than the Ruger but heavy enough to make it more shootable than the mdl 642. Ideally I'd like to have one more .357 so I have two guns in each caliber

Then I have a Colt New Agent .45. I want to buy another .45 that has a 4" barrel, conventional sights and an officer's frame, or perhaps a full size 1911. One would be dedicated CCW (the new agent) and the other would be more of a HD or range weapon, but again, then I'd have at least 2 gun's in each caliber.

Now I could just limit this all to 1 9mm CCW and 1 .38 CCW and be good but I like guns. I also have 6 children so as they get older they can use them and eventually they'll all end up with some of Dad's gun and if we have a end of the world scenario I can arm the whole family!

I do believe though you could get two guns of the same caliber and basic platform and call it good. It would save you and I a lot of money. For me, I could live with a few .38/.357 revolvers paired with a .357 Marlin lever action and that would be all the guns I'd ever really need. It would be so much simpler to only stock those two calibers.

For this very reason I've thought of stepping away from the .45 and just sticking with the 9mm and .38/.357... but wheres the fun in that? And I love to shoot the .45

Now I'd LOVE to have a blackened Kahr K9 with night sights but that's a LOT of overlap with my P9 and my MK9 so I'd likely get rid of the P9 but that P9 has never had a malfunction ever no matter what I put through it and it's accurate, so what to do?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Justification? Justification? I don't need no stinkin' justification.

Not married, I have the cash. I buy it.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Justify ? hum. Sounds like either: 1. you have a philosophical bent to your thinking or 2. you are just getting started into "guns" or 3. your wife demands/needs explaining on your actions.

1. Can't help you
    2. been there. Though that was 35 years ago and many, many guns and safes ago.
    3. Got rid of that wife and found one that let's me be me.

How many CCW s does a man need ? As many has he wants and can afford.
    How many 9mm or 357 or ARs or 22 plinkers ? See above answer.

I have two of the smae and a few that are in the same "niche".

I don't have to "justify" them, as I want them, so therefore I have them.

I guess I could call one a "spare" if I was so inclined. It makes sense to have more than one of a platform, especially your "primary" defensive platform, as you never know when your one gun will break.

Biker

I love Gideon's posts!

ATTABOY Pirate! I are 60 and got about half the inventory you have but the same requisites apply. I guess that means you're winning!

Pretty funny, hooah? Wait, this is not posted in the humor section. ???

If there is food in the pantry and the bills are paid, what is there to justify?

Easy.

1. One may break in the future when I can't buy a similar gun.

2. Daughter may want a gun someday when I can't buy a similar gun.

3. Wife may want... never mind... last I heard, hell wasn't in danger of freezing over.

3. I may lose one.

4. I may want to carry multiple guns of the same niche at the same time.

5. I may wear one out and not be able to buy a replacement gun in the future due to stupid laws.

6. I may want to preposition guns in different areas, hence I'd need more than one.

I could probably think of more, but those are off the top of my head.

Good list Grady. All good reasons to have two of the same gun, IMO, not just two similar guns. Yes, I practice what I preach!

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
    Good list Grady. All good reasons to have two of the same gun, IMO, not just two similar guns. Yes, I practice what I preach!
    Thanks.

I thought of another: interoperability with family members. If they know how to use XYZ brand of gun, have a couple of those guns around and available, instead of different types that may have inexperienced family members scratching their heads over how to operate.

And another: mag compatibility. It's easier to have one type of mag that will fit several guns than each gun needing a different type mag. Either way is doable, but compatibility makes it simpler and may lead to fewer times of having a mag that won't fit the gun on hand.

And if I have mag compatibility with several guns, I may choose to purchase fewer spare mags total than if each gun is different. That was the working theory anyway. I still ended up buying a lot of mags.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links