New Browning Hi-Power - Page 2

New Browning Hi-Power

This is a discussion on New Browning Hi-Power within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RKirk ... I have been fighting a terrible backache when carrying IWB and have found the problem to be CRESTOR. I have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Browning Hi-Power

All I need is an excuse ...

Quote Originally Posted by RKirk View Post
    ... I have been fighting a terrible backache when carrying IWB and have found the problem to be CRESTOR. I have stopped taking the medicine and the backache is gone. So to celebrate I bought the Browning instead of a smaller lighter single stack pistol. ...
    -- Richard
    We have some things in common. My doc told me last friday that it may be Lipitor that is causing my aches and pains. So I am off of it for a test period. And if that works, now I know how I can celebrate! I have always liked the HP.

BTW, I knew a Richard Kirk many years ago - you ever live in Odessa, TX?

BHP Fan

Great choice! The feel of the Hi-Power in my hands is unlike any other, and it just seems to be the right size for a 9x19 pistol. I am fortunate enough to own 3 (Inglis, classic, Mk III), and it would be no surprise if your acquisition prompted others to get one (more). There are some good deals on used BHP's, but the search may take some time.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

I love my Hi-Powers! I have a Standard and a Mark III, both of which have had the magazine disconnect removed and the trigger tuned. I highly recommend taking both of those steps.

Slimmer grips really help also. I'm very fond of those by Craig Spegel, which are in stock at Lightning Arms. Alumagrips are another good option.

The standard, with Craig Spegel cocobolo grips.

And some gunleather from Eric Larson (HBE)

Here's the Mark III, still with the original factory grips, which my young bride especially likes.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

new Hi-Power

Wow it feels great to be in such good company. Thank you for the encouragement and ideas. Keep them coming!

Superhouse, the link to Brownells is where I plan to order a set of black Micarta grips.

CharlieP, no I have always been a Tulsa boy. I hope that I can find a cure for Crestor. I will no doubt need to take something for my high cholesterol. Although in an effort to escape medication I have lost twenty pounds. I feel better, but that may not get me off the hook! Good luck to both of us.

Amend2, I agree about the thinner grips. As for the trigger job I did remove the magazine on the Charles Daly clone and after 3,000 rounds the trigger is very smooth. I am sure not against having a gun smith remove the disconnect and work on the trigger, but if I can work on the disconnect myself, I would rather shoot up the savings in ammunition. A slow fun way to polish things.

Several of you have suggested very nice leather holsters, It appears IWB is the preferred carry method? I have a Comp-Tac paddle and a Crossbreed I bought for the CDHP and the new Browning fits perfectly! In your collective experience is an all leather holster more comfortable? I am all ears and welcome your input.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by RKirk View Post
    Several of you have suggested very nice leather holsters, It appears IWB is the preferred carry method? I have a Comp-Tac paddle and a Crossbreed I bought for the CDHP and the new Browning fits perfectly! In your collective experience is an all leather holster more comfortable? I am all ears and welcome your input.

-- Richard
    I do prefer IWB for my concealed carry weapons. I think leather next to your body is the way to go for comfort. Kydex, on the other hand, does offer some advantages in terms of weight, thinness and shapeholding without reinforcement. The holster I use for my EDC 1911 is an Answer, a hybrid (leather next to the body with a kydex gun form) from Tucker Gunleather. Very comfortable, stable, and durable. Easy for 1-handed holstering.

Kimber Ultra CDP II with The Answer

There are lots of ways to go for holsters, and it's important to pick the carry method that suits you best. Here's my Standard in its OWB rig, a Regulator from Nate at UBG Holsters.

Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Congrats! Those Hi Powers sure are pretty!
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

Lead Moderator
    ahhh yes. The venerable model P-35 Browning, aka The Hi-Power. What's not to love? The gun Frank Serpico bought when he had an entire NYPD to contend with.

I love the tapered snout on the Hi-Power, and for decades it was one of the very few high capacity 9mm's that would actually fit my hand, and yet I've never owned one.

It's still on my list of guns to get one day!

Congrats!

And great pics of all your very fine specimens guys!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

BHP my favorite pistol period!

I own several in both 9mm and .40 S&W. They all fit the same Milt Sparks VM2. Not once have any been detected! They always go "bang" and in case they don't, I have the option to cock it and try again.

1951 - 2011
    Hello. Count me in as fan of the Hi Power. It remains my favorite all around 9mm handgun as well as the one I almost always tote when carrying a 9mm.

This Mk III 9mm is wearing Spegel checkered delrin stocks, has had the magazine "safety" removed and the spur hammer bobbed. It has been fitted with a C&S single-side extended thumb safety. Sights are factory standard and satifactory for my perceived "needs".

Best.

New Hi-Power

Well,

Thanks everyone for the support and enthusiasm about the great Hi-Power.

Rigeline - it is a wonderful morale booster to hear that you have purchased the best 9-mm on the planet. I am sure that I did, but it helps the buyers remorse that I always feel when I spend those dollars. Thanks!

Mr. Camp - As always it a pleasure to hear from you. I read your blog and have soaked up as much information as I can on Hi-Power pistols ammunition and other pistols you have shot and reviewed. I consider you the main source for all things Hi-Power. Thank you for the time and effort you put into building such a great information center on handguns and ammunition.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

new Hi-Power

I have some better photos of the new Hi-Power. I removed the magazine disconnect yesterday with help from a friend and Mr. Camp's great laminated photographic disassembly book. Now the trigger is better and has lost that gritty hard to squeeze at the end feeling. Pressing the magazine release button magazines fall free at last. The "Old Dogs" plan to shoot Thursday and I am taking a camera to help document a more thorough break in at the range. I took some comparison pictures of the BHP and an XD9sc to show why I favor the BHP as a CCW. I was amazed to see that the grip on the BHP is a shade shorter then the XD9sc.

The first two photos show the BHP and the XD9sc standing side by side. Even though the BHP barrel is longer its grip is no longer than the XD9sc. The slide and frame are actually slimmer than a Colt 1911. Both pistols are double stack, I have swapped grips between the new Browning and the Charles Daly Hi-Power. I really prefer the thin grips on a Hi-Power. And last the Hi-Power carries 13+1 in comparison to the XD9sc 10+1. The XD is lighter and that is a definite plus.

The last photos show the Browning and the Charles Daly version of the Hi-Power. I am working on making better photos and hope to improve. Range report to follow this weekend.

-- Richard
    Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links