New Browning Hi-Power

New Browning Hi-Power

This is a discussion on New Browning Hi-Power within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So after a year looking for a slimmer lighter CCW, you know Kahr or SIG, I am the proud owner a NIB BHP STD Hi-Power. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Browning Hi-Power

So after a year looking for a slimmer lighter CCW, you know Kahr or SIG, I am the proud owner a NIB BHP STD Hi-Power. It is slimmer, not lighter, a really great looking dark blue finish. I have been fighting a terrible backache when carrying IWB and have found the problem to be CRESTOR. I have stopped taking the medicine and the backache is gone. So to celebrate I bought the Browning instead of a smaller lighter single stack pistol. I know I am old fashioned, but I think the BHP is a premier self defense pistol. Next week to the range for several hundred rounds of break in shooting. I have been carrying an XD9sc and a Charles Daly Hi-Power, what was a surprise to me in comparing the two pistols was the grip of the Hi-Power and the XD9sc with a Pierce extension are the same length! Both great pistols, but I love shooting the Hi-Power.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

*Ahem*

-JT

Good for you! By all means, take it seriously! It's OK to be old fashioned. Especially since they haven't really come up with anything better for shooting 9mm. The Hi-Power is my favorite 9mm pistol over everything else.

Show photos if you can.

Hi-Power Photos

Yes photos, I am still unpacking computer equipment including my camera. If you can stand a phone photo I will try to post some pictures I took with my phone. I have been shooting a Charles Daly Hi-Power for nearly 2 years. So when I bought the new Browning, with wood grips that are too thick for my hands, I swapped the thinner rubber grips between the two pistols. So I will try to post a cell phone photo of both pistols. The Browning has a spur hammer and the Charles Daly has a round commander hammer.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

photos

Here is a shot at photo posting. Sorry I could not resist.

-- Richard
    Attached Images

Grip Swap

This may show the two Hi-Powers better. By the way I have 3,000 rounds through the Charles Daly pistol and consider it to be an outstanding clone of the Hi-Power pistol. I wish the Uncle Mike grips that came on the Charles Daly were available. They are not so at some point I plan to buy a set of black Micarta grips for the new Browning. A fellow shooter has Micarta grips on his Hi-Power and they are even thinner that the Uncle Mike's rubber grips.

-- Richard
    Attached Images

Congrats!

I would love to own a second Hi Power in .40 to go with my .40 "Practical". I came late to the BAP, but I've come to realize what a fine handgun it is after years of carrying/shooting something else.

Part of the problem is, you never see one for sale around here. I only know three people that have owned/carried one daily in the past twenty-five years, and only about five people that own one, not counting the forums. I probably know 100 Glock owners/shooters.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; February 28th, 2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: clariffication

BHP = Nice!!!
    Freemason 1988
    Colt 1911
    Browning
    Springfield
    North American Arms
    N.R.A.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Love BHP's and congrats on joining the HP fan club! They are a great natural pointing pistol and their grip is fantastic. Aslo like the manual thumb safety as I am a 1911 guy. Practice drawing, swiping down on the safety and engaging your target till it is ingrained in your head.

Where is the pic?
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Yep.....Very nice! Those Browning's are great sidearms.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

You have just purchased the very best 9mm and .40 S&W in the world. My .02 cents. Got three of them!!!
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

New Hi-Power

Man oh Man,

Who knew there were that many BHP guys all over the place. Thanks for speaking up. I am very pumped to shoot the new pistol next Thursday. It is forecast to be an 80 degree day. A great day to break in the Hi-Power. More photos coming soon and a range report.

-- Richard

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Here is a pic of mine before I installed a C&S sear, tactical safety, removed the mag safety and slapped a set of Spiegels on it. Holster is an HBE COM III. Fits my hand like a glove and conceals as easily as my 1911. Congrats again!

Don't worry about getting sued over the mag safety. Have a reputable gunsmith do the work and your trigger will improve and mags will drop as they should if you have to do a speed reload.

HBE COM III. Your HP would love this for a home!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I been shooting for 40 years and no pistol fits my hand better than JMB classic HI Power. A pleasure to shoot every time out. One of the truely classic 9mm handguns.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Grips

Thin grips for the BHP. Nice pistols.
    BROWNING HP COMBAT GRIPS at Brownells

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links