Glock three safety system? A few other glock questions I have including IDPA.

This is a discussion on Glock three safety system? A few other glock questions I have including IDPA. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im just now looking into IDPA here in Mass. My searches have found Glock as a popular firearm used in this sport. Glock has peaked ...

Thread: Glock three safety system? A few other glock questions I have including IDPA.

Glock three safety system? A few other glock questions I have including IDPA.

Im just now looking into IDPA here in Mass. My searches have found Glock as a popular firearm used in this sport. Glock has peaked my interest. Could someone please explain the safety system of glock to me.
    I am a fan of my para 45 LDA for CC mostly because of all the safety features. When holstering my firearm I know my thumb safety is on, grip safety is not depressed and I can place my thumb over the "hammer" of the pistol. Along with a double action trigger system the pistol eases my mind while carrying. Let me state that I am new at CCing, about two months new. So all of this and my new interest in IDPA started me searching for something I can shoot and carry comfortably.

So my questions for those who carry what they shoot and shoot what they carry. (Please keep in mind I am in Mass and used glocks run $600 +)

1) How safe is a glock (I know cops carry them but please ease my mind)

2)What procedures do you take while holstering a striker fired pisol? Gun in holster then IWB holster in pants etc.

3)What are other good options for IDPA and carry. Im not looking for some slicked up gun that I wont carry, its kindof the whole point of IDPA.

Tid bits;

I am willing to go down to 9mm if it holds 10+.

Im able to conceal a 4.25" 45 para single stack in a supertuck under a t shirt.

I want to be competative and I dont think the LDA is going to allow this.

Hope this isn't to confusing. Any help would be great.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    At LFI I saw that Mas Ayoob and his wife carry Glocks. Half the class had Glocks. Warren ****** one of the top assistant instructors whispered to me that everyone should have a Glock.
    I just bought my 3rd Glock this morning.
    (I also have 3 HKP2K's which are also a very good choice.)

I shoot IDPA with my Kimbers, in the CPD (Custom Defense Pistol) class. Glock will put you in the Stock Service Pistol class, so you'll be competitive either way, and I outshoot many high-cap shooters with my 1911's, and am outshot by many in all classes ;)

There's been a few instances where a police officer was holstering his Glock (or similar striker-fired pistol) and something like a drawstring from his jacket got caught in the trigger guard, causing it to fire. Of course, we don't have a use for speed holstering, but you have to show clear at the end of the stage anyway, so it's not very likely. Not a common occurrence in any situation, but I guess it could happen with any gun, any where.

The only safeties on the Glock are internal. Well, I guess the safe-trigger isn't internal. It has a little block that is disengaged when you press the trigger, but from my experience, most things that would get caught in the trigger guard could also disengage it!

The internal safeties are the firing pin block and the fact that the striker is only partially cocked (someone else can chime in on the actual percentage, but it's somewhere between 5% and 50% if that helps!) When you pull the trigger, you finish cocking the striker and it the releases. The firing pin block of course disengages when you pull the trigger also.

So, all Glock safeties are trigger related, but you can have an external thumb safety installed.

The XD is fully cocked, but has a 1911-style grip safety. The M&P can be had with a thumb safety and is also partially cocked like the Glock. I much preferred my M&Ps to my Glocks.

I stick with my 1911's. I do a tactical reload as long as it's allowed in the stage and have no problems, just practice dry fire and reload drills constantly so it becomes natural. You really shouldn't see a reduction on your times in IDPA.

Use what feels best in your hand and what you shoot fastest and most accurately. And remember, IDPA is a concealed carry sport. It's to enhance our ability and prepare us for (exaggerated) real-world situations. It's also about having a heck of a time with a group of like-minded people. USPSA and IPSC are more competition oriented, in my opinion. ENJOY!!

Jonathan

Oh, and on procedure for holstering your Glock, you just be sure to keep your finger off the trigger, as always and be sure your holster is clear of obstructions.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    At LFI I saw that Mas Ayoob and his wife carry Glocks. Half the class had Glocks. Warren ****** one of the top assistant instructors whispered to me that everyone should have a Glock.
    I just bought my 3rd Glock this morning.
    (I also have 3 HKP2K's which are also a very good choice.)
    My big problem is Mass compliance. I have to know what I am looking for and aggressively persue.
    I was able to shoot an H and K .40 the other day and shot it very well. It has a thumb safety wich I liked. I would be comfortable CCing it since I could accuratley double tap at 20 ft. I do not know how this pistol translates into competative IDPA. Now back to the Mass compliance, a used H and K runs about the same as a 1911, $1000 +. Im willing to spend it but I also shoot CAS and the new gun budget is tight.
    What about S&W M&P in 9mm? Ma compliant for reasonable money. I have handled and fired the compact. How does the full size CC? How well would it compete?

I have searched all of these topics seperatly and it only made my head spin.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I shoot IDPA with my Kimbers, in the CPD (Custom Defense Pistol) class. Glock will put you in the Stock Service Pistol class, so you'll be competitive either way, and I outshoot many high-cap shooters with my 1911's, and am outshot by many in all classes ;)

There's been a few instances where a police officer was holstering his Glock (or similar striker-fired pistol) and something like a drawstring from his jacket got caught in the trigger guard, causing it to fire. Of course, we don't have a use for speed holstering, but you have to show clear at the end of the stage anyway, so it's not very likely. Not a common occurrence in any situation, but I guess it could happen with any gun, any where.

The only safeties on the Glock are internal. Well, I guess the safe-trigger isn't internal. It has a little block that is disengaged when you press the trigger, but from my experience, most things that would get caught in the trigger guard could also disengage it!

The internal safeties are the firing pin block and the fact that the striker is only partially cocked (someone else can chime in on the actual percentage, but it's somewhere between 5% and 50% if that helps!) When you pull the trigger, you finish cocking the striker and it the releases. The firing pin block of course disengages when you pull the trigger also.

So, all Glock safeties are trigger related, but you can have an external thumb safety installed.

The XD is fully cocked, but has a 1911-style grip safety. The M&P can be had with a thumb safety and is also partially cocked like the Glock. I much preferred my M&Ps to my Glocks.

I stick with my 1911's. I do a tactical reload as long as it's allowed in the stage and have no problems, just practice dry fire and reload drills constantly so it becomes natural. You really shouldn't see a reduction on your times in IDPA.

Use what feels best in your hand and what you shoot fastest and most accurately. And remember, IDPA is a concealed carry sport. It's to enhance our ability and prepare us for (exaggerated) real-world situations. It's also about having a heck of a time with a group of like-minded people. USPSA and IPSC are more competition oriented, in my opinion. ENJOY!!

Jonathan
    Great post thank you!

Have you ever seen anyone compete with a LDA para?
    I can shoot it and I can shoot it pretty well or else I would not be carrying it. Slower on double taps than other pistols for me but its also a 45. How would the LDA work for IDPA?

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NEcowboy View Post
    1) How safe is a glock (I know cops carry them but please ease my mind)

2)What procedures do you take while holstering a striker fired pisol? Gun in holster then IWB holster in pants etc.
    I think the Glock is as safe as any other pistol; one major reason I selected Glock is the engineering of the "safe action system". I have been carrying Glocks for several years, and shooting them in IDPA.

I am not sure whether the comment following your second question implies that the pistol should be holstered and then the holster attached. I recommend that any pistol/holster set-up allow the pistol to be drawn and reholstered while the holster is firmly attached to the person. This is crucial for an actual self-defense scenario and required for participation in IDPA. There's really only 1 vital rule for placing any pistol in its holster: keep fingers (and any other objects) outside the trigger guard when holstering.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I think the Glock is as safe as any other pistol; one major reason I selected Glock is the engineering of the "safe action system". I have been carrying Glocks for several years, and shooting them in IDPA.

I am not sure whether the comment following your second question implies that the pistol should be holstered and then the holster attached. I recommend that any pistol/holster set-up allow the pistol to be drawn and reholstered while the holster is firmly attached to the person. This is crucial for an actual self-defense scenario and required for participation in IDPA. There's really only 1 vital rule for placing any pistol in its holster: keep fingers (and any other objects) outside the trigger guard when holstering.
    It was. I was reading on this site somewhere that some people will put a firearm in a holster before putting the holster inside the waist band. Something about them not using the thumb safety on their pistol and this being the safest way. Adding to that train of thought I figured a pisol like glock or M and P would be the same thing. With all safeties working off the trigger it would fall inline with the post I read.

Thanks for the reply.

What type of Glock for IDPA and comfortable carry? The 34 and 36 look pretty big to be CCing.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    What type of Glock for IDPA and comfortable carry? The 34 and 36 look pretty big to be CCing.
    I don't find size to be a problem; my favorite is the full-size G21, both for IDPA and for normal concealed carry. If I am going to be around anti-2A relatives, I carry the subcompact G27.

In winter, I carry OWB and in warm weather can conceal either pistol well IWB under a loose T-shirt or in a SmartCarry.

GLOCK SAFETIES

GLOCK ANIMATION (Hide the magazine and barrel, make the slide and receiver transparent)

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    The glock has three safeties:

Trigger safety - The trigger can not move back unless something is pushing on the center of the trigger and pushing on the trigger lever.

Firing Pin Safety - There is a firing pin block (called the "firing pin safety") that blocks the firing pin from reaching the primer. When you press the trigger, there is a tab on the trigger bar that pushes the firing pin safety up so that the firing pin is clear to reach the primer.

Drop Safety - At the end of the trigger bar is what is called the cruciform. One side of the cruciform rests on a ledge (safety ramp) that is part of the trigger mechanism housing. The firing pin is obstructed by the back part of the trigger bar which cocks the firing pin when you press the trigger. The cruciform/trigger bar has to move downwards in order for the firing pin to seperate from the trigger bar, move forward and strike the primer. When the trigger bar is resting on the safety ramp it can not move downwards so there is no way for the firing pin to get past the end of the trigger bar.

When you press the trigger all three safeties disengage.

The little lever on the trigger is moved so that the trigger can now move backwards. The trigger bar pushes the trigger safety up so that the firing pin can reach the primer and the end of the trigger bar leaves the safety ramp so that the trigger bar can now move downwards to release the firing pin.

The gun is NOT going to fire unless the trigger is pressed.

Finger off the trigger - Safety On
    Finger on the trigger - Safety Off

Gaston did one hell of a job with the design. It is so simple but oh so effective.

I do not know how this pistol translates into competative IDPA.
    I did not get my XD40SC to be competative in IDPA.
    I have it for defense. I shoot it at IDPA to be more comfortable with its use in defense scenarios.

I think your looking at this the wrong way around.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I'm not IDPA. But I carry a Glock 23. In condition one.

First I strap on the holster, buckle up the britches - then slide in my fully loaded, with one in the barrel, G23.

Carry every day, and all day. Every time I remove/draw my pistol - no finger in the guard. I practice it, and practice it - I'm very conscious in this. I don't want an AD to have to report, or regret.

Glock - good choice.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    I did not get my XD40SC to be competative in IDPA.
    I have it for defense. I shoot it at IDPA to be more comfortable with its use in defense scenarios.

I think your looking at this the wrong way around.
    I think your right.

I do already have a CC pistol but I dont think it would be competitive.

It will also be expensive to shoot alot, wich I want to do.

Im just thinking IDPA would be much better than shooting at paper.

I want something I can shoot alot (cheaper than a 45)
    Conceal
    Shoot IDPA

To put things into perpective. I have been looking at a 642.
    CC-yes
    cheaper to practice -yes
    IDPA competitive-nope not really

My budget for new guns - $0
    Will I buy another gun soon-yes

When everyone else is cashing in refund checks I will be writing a check for my small business taxes.

When I buy the new house the first purchase will be a nice shiny new Dillon press. I already nead it for CAS and it will be a real help for any other shooting sport.

Thanks for all the great replies. Thanks for letting me think out loud. This is a great place to learn.

Great post thank you!

Have you ever seen anyone compete with a LDA para?
    I can shoot it and I can shoot it pretty well or else I would not be carrying it. Slower on double taps than other pistols for me but its also a 45. How would the LDA work for IDPA?
    Sorry, I missed your reply.. I think the Para LDA would work fine to start out, but I haven't seen anyone compete with one that I remember.. Double taps are a major part of IDPA, but I doubt it'll knock much time off of your score the first year or so. Steady, smooth and accurate. Speed will come with time, so shoot with what you have.

Let us know after your first IDPA!!

Jonathan

Links