Mousegun opinions - Page 2

Mousegun opinions

This is a discussion on Mousegun opinions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seecamps cost a small fortune. As far as the Fluff & Buff with the Kel Tecs, I did NO fluff & buff with my PF-9, ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mousegun opinions

Seecamps cost a small fortune. As far as the Fluff & Buff with the Kel Tecs, I did NO fluff & buff with my PF-9, yeah it too a few hundred rounds to break in before it started to gobble whatever I fed it, but hey, guns need to be broken in. What you carry matters and those .380 can get the job done, but I have more confidence in my Kel-Tec PF-9 9mm in my KNJ pocket holster that dissappears in my front pocket.

I'm looking at the .32, so money isn't crazy. God forbid I ever use this gun, the muzzle will be in someone's ear, so caliber is a low priority for me. I test wore my sister in laws Kahr P9, and it was too big, so I bet the PF9 is out. If you believe in break in, you best add that to the cost of the gun, and now your Keltec costs more than the LCP, or Seecamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Andy View Post
    Seecamps cost a small fortune. As far as the Fluff & Buff with the Kel Tecs, I did NO fluff & buff with my PF-9, yeah it too a few hundred rounds to break in before it started to gobble whatever I fed it, but hey, guns need to be broken in. What you carry matters and those .380 can get the job done, but I have more confidence in my Kel-Tec PF-9 9mm in my KNJ pocket holster that dissappears in my front pocket.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    I'm looking at the .32, so money isn't crazy. God forbid I ever use this gun, the muzzle will be in someone's ear, so caliber is a low priority for me. I test wore my sister in laws Kahr P9, and it was too big, so I bet the PF9 is out. If you believe in break in, you best add that to the cost of the gun, and now your Keltec costs more than the LCP, or Seecamp.
    ALL guns need a break-in. I'll add more importantly, a level of confidence in the firearm can only be obtained by firing it.

That said...you name 3 choices. All have pluses and minuses. All are good mouse guns...but if you haven't shot a mouse gun...I suggest you do that first as they are not the easiest to shoot because of size.

Rick

Well, I own and have shot for 26 years a small .22 that I do not trust. You could run 1,000,000 rounds through it, and it would never break in. And my brother had a Taurus tip up .25 that we called a staple gun, because of the trigger pull and noise it made firing. To me, break in is complete BS on a gun. I will shoot to learn to trust a gun, but if you must fire 500 rounds to make it run, the manufacturer did not finish building the product. Would you buy a toilet that required 200 uses to run reliable enough not to put your life at risk?

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    ALL guns need a break-in. I'll add more importantly, a level of confidence in the firearm can only be obtained by firing it.

That said...you name 3 choices. All have pluses and minuses. All are good mouse guns...but if you haven't shot a mouse gun...I suggest you do that first as they are not the easiest to shoot because of size.

Rick
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

The P32 is small and light I love the one I have.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    What quirks does the Seecamp have?
    Quirk # 1 They are in high demand, so one may be hard to find locally. Generally a few are on Gunbroker and such though.

Quirk # 2 Price, a new one ordered from the factory is about $446. Usually one can be found for about $400 or so. I paid $300 for mine, but that was a while ago. New and used cost almost the same. They hold value well.

Quirk # 3 Ammo. These guns are designed for hollow point only. No ball. If it fits into the magazine it will work. There is lots of info here ... L.W. Seecamp Co. - Products

Quirk # 5 Larry Seecamp is the Seecamp gun owners best friend. He has a very open forum, participates in discussion, answers questions, and has not refused to repair any gun... under warranty or out makes no difference, that had a material or part fault.

Quirk # 5 Have you ever seen a Seecamp ad? In todays world, that is quirky. Word of mouth only, and it is usually quite positive.

Quirk # 6 No sights, no pretentions. This is a up-close, mano a mano defensive gun...period. I can however group within a few inches at 7 yards or so. That's plenty good.

Quirk # 7 It's made almost entirely of very high grade stainless steel. Here's an excerpt from the website'''

What kind of materials are used in the manufacture of Seecamp pistols?

As for materials: The cast parts (slide, frame, trigger, hammer, magazine safety and magazine catch) are all made of 415 stainless, which is a special 400 series blend that is also used by other manufacturers like Ruger. All pistols with a serial number higher than 31000 are made of this material. We had previously used 416 for the frame (used to make knives and gun parts) and 17-4PH (used extensively in the aircraft industry) for the slide and small parts.
    Quirk # 8 The current Seecamp magazine may be the best made mag in the world. It is a work of art in it's own right.

The Seecamp is a very well made gun. It needs no breakin. It does need to be relatively clean. It isn't a gun you neglect for 500 rounds. It requires a punch to disassemble. Mine lasted quite well for over twenty years, went in for a check-up and returned virtually a new gun. I was impressed to say the least. The cost of that was $zero. I was very, very impressed. I wish many more American companies were run by people as competent as Larry Seecamp. At $446 it's a hell of a deal.

the pf9 is the same as the p11, just thinner, single stack mag. so to me it not a good gun for pocket carry. but the p3at is. my p3at is my "bug" on duty. either in my back pocket or on my ankle. i don't know it there. great little gun. you can also look at the beretta jetfire and/or the 21a. both are smaller than the p3at. before the p3at came out i used them for my "bug". i did the f&b on the p3at. it did not need it, but i did it anyway. i do some type of f&b on all my guns, no matter the brand. not hard to do, cheap and easy.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    For me size matters most! In this case, smaller is better.

There are a lot of good choices mentioned in this thread. One problem with any 380 is that 380 ammunition is very scarce at the moment.

I EDC an LCP as a BUG in a DeSantis Super Fly holster. Around the house, the LCP is my primary. I carry in my pants weak side front pocket. The Super Fly comes with a flap to make it look like a wallet. I'm of the opinion that the square shape of the flap is more obvious than the broken shape of the gun and holster and light I carry in that pocket. The light fits in all my pants pockets with the LCP except for one pair of suit pants.

If you want to learn more about the LCP user experience you will find it at http://LCPforum.com/.

Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I have a Seecamp LWS32, a LCP and a NAA Guardian (both those in .380) and my favorite to carry is still the Seecamp. I like them all but, still, the Seecamp just is my favorite. Its been rock stead but so have the others.

I found mine used with two mags for $325. Then put it in this PCS holster.

When I am not pocket carrying, it rests in the Glove box of my Mini Cooper S

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Well, I own and have shot for 26 years a small .22 that I do not trust. You could run 1,000,000 rounds through it, and it would never break in. And my brother had a Taurus tip up .25 that we called a staple gun, because of the trigger pull and noise it made firing. To me, break in is complete BS on a gun. I will shoot to learn to trust a gun, but if you must fire 500 rounds to make it run, the manufacturer did not finish building the product. Would you buy a toilet that required 200 uses to run reliable enough not to put your life at risk?
    Ok then...pat on the back. :)) If you have shot for 26 years...why even ask the question then? You clearly should know everything.

Nice euphanism...uh, I mean sound bite. But the toilet would, I believe, not put my life at risk :))) Less of course, it fires back...hehe...and makes a mess.

Rick

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Of the 3 you are looking at the Seacamp is far superior in quality, but pricey too, if money is not an issue get the Seacamp. As far as the LCP, personally with the recall and the lite primer strike issues many are having I would pass till Ruger works out the bugs. Some posters on other forums are calling it the Crappy Little Pistol (LCP). That is a bit critical but Ruger is certainly having issues with its plastic framed semi-autos and its hurting its Rep. Kel Tec's, well they are inexpensive and many on this forum like them but my experience with KT products is spoty at best. I sold them for many years when I had my gun store and have owned several myself over the past 10 years. I have found them to be hit or miss with QC and Kel Tec sends them out with too many rough edges, but thats why they sell at the price point they do. If the fit, finish and quality control were better they would likely be inline with Kahr price wise. Of course there are several web site that tell you how to perform a "fluff and buff" on the Kel Tec's and its often needed since the factory does not spend much time hand fitting and polishing the internals. But, hey what do you expect for $270?
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Another vote for the Ruger LCP. I carry mine in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. I would go with either the Keltec P3AT or the LCP in .380 acp and carry either Cor Bon or Buffalo Bore .380+P ammo. Both give respectable velocity and energy levels in a mousegun.
    God bless our troops!

I know the 3 choices mentioned were Seecamp, Ruger and the Kel Tec.

I sometimes think outside the bun...why I eat at Taco Bell..lol

the muzzle will be in someone's ear, so caliber is a low priority for me
    Since caliber doesn't matter and it has to be small..how about this?

North American Arms (Black Widow) .22 Magnum
    North American Arms

Around the same size you can have the kel tec PF-9. It's around the same price and size as the P-3AT only in a larger caliber.
    I have both. The PF-9 is quite a bit larger and noticeably thicker than the P3AT.

According to the Mouseguns comparo:

P3AT -- .380 ACP, 5.2" OAL, 3.5" height, 0.77" wide, 11oz loaded.
    PF-9 -- 9mm, 5.85" OAL, 4.3" height, 0.88" wide, 18oz loaded.

That's two-thirds of an inch longer, three-fourths of an inch taller, and more than 10% wider. Just like with stealth technology on military aircraft, even minor increases in size can make dramatic differences in "printing." With these two guns, IMO: I pocket carry both and the difference is quite obvious.

Even the NAA Guardian .380 is tougher than the P3AT to conceal, due to its thickness. Overall, its size is comparable to the P3AT, but there's no hiding the size difference between them ... and that makes a big difference in the holster's "edge" on the slide end of things.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikGr7 View Post
    I was just on budgunshop and they have a P3AT
    going for $234..
    Do you have a link to this, in stock? I'm assuming you saw their "last price" which was the price they charged from the last time they were in stock (which was a while ago). If you have a link to one at that price that's in stock, I'll immediately order it...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links