Looking For Opinions On S&W 442

This is a discussion on Looking For Opinions On S&W 442 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife is interested in buying a 442 for cc. just looking for your opinion. I am not a wheel gun guy, but I know ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My wife is interested in buying a 442 for cc. just looking for your opinion. I am not a wheel gun guy, but I know they have a good place in ccing.
    thanks.

Thumbs up 442

I carry a variety of guns. My 442 is the one constant. It's either my primary or BUG all the time. Generally carried in front pocket---Great thing about that is I can have my hand on it anytime without attracting attention. There's a good selection of ammunition for the snubs (Speer Gold Dots are my preferred). The 442/642 has been around long enough there are lots of accessories for it. Hammerless design so no hang ups and one less place for dirt/lint etc. to get in there.

Get it. Everyone needs one...or 3.

I just bought a 442 last Thursday, primarily for use as a BUG. Obviously I can't really give you a comprehensive report on it at this point, but after messing around with some itty bitty autoloaders for a while I did decide that the revolver was the best choice for what I wanted to do.

I like my 442 a lot. It is very easy to carry and conceal. One thing that your wife should consider about this gun is that, because of it's small size and light weight, it tends to have some recoil. With that said, it is a really nice little revolver. I would definitely recommend it to my wife if she ever decides to come on board and get one.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I have the 642 (stainless finish version of the 442). It's a completely reliable gun that shoots to point of aim. I'm very happy with the little wheel gun, but, personally, I don't think it's a wise choice for those whose shooting experience is limited (be they male or female). The light weight makes the gun easy to carry but challenging to shoot. Lots of folks advise finding one to shoot before purchasing. Makes sense to me.

Another alternative is a steel J frame of your choice (or the Ruger SP101). I'm especially fond of the 3" versions because of their longer sight radius. Steel guns don't weight THAT much more and you can shoot them without getting beaten up.

PC
    Last edited by PeterCartwright; March 1st, 2009 at 12:14 AM. Reason: additional comment

VIP Member
    Excellent choice! Easy to operate and conceal and safe to carry.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Any of you have pocket carry experience with a 442/642 and a P3AT/LCP? I'm wondering how much the difference in size affects the comfort/concealability in the front pocket. If I could find a P3AT for a decent price, I probably would have bought it by now. As it is, these revolvers are looking more appealing, but I wonder how much easier and more comfortable a P3AT/LCP would be because of how much more flat it is. OP, not trying to steal your thread, I think this kind of info might be good for all of us.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I don't have a p3at or lcp but have pocket carried a small AMT DAO .380 which is about the same size but heavier. The P3AT/LCP will be easier to pocket carry and easier to shoot IMHO.

J frames, especially the light weight models, are not an easy firearm to shoot well. It takes lots of range time, dry fire practice etc..... They will also be harder to reload quick compared to the smaller autos.

Having said all that though, I pocket carry a S&W 642.

After dry firing it extensively ( I use snap caps ) and spending lots of time at the range, I have finally gotten down my grip and trigger control. Plus, the dryfiring has really smoothed out the trigger.

After shooting and carrying my glock 26 and 19 for so long it wasn't easy for me to make the transition, but I feel really comfortable with it now. I still prefer to carry my glocks when ever possible but there are times when that isn't possible and I need something I can pocket carry comfortably.

These pocket guns are ment for in your face type situations and the reliability of having 5 .38 +P shots is what has made my mind up of going with the J frame.

I practice reloading with speed loaders and strips that I carry in my pocket. The speed loaders work really well once you get the hang of it. The speed strips are easier to carry but slower to reload with. If you only reload 4 shots with the speed strips you can get real quick at it though.

I'm of the opinion that the 442/642 is the best Pocket/Ankle gun out there.

Need I say more? I do of course prefer the older models without the locks or one of the newer one's that S & W made without the "Hillary Hole".

All the relevant points regarding the 442/642 have already been touched upon, so I won't belabor the point.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I am picking up a Model 36 soon and I would recommend it over the 442. The weight difference between the two is only 5 oz, and I would defnately take that extra 5 ounces to for steel frame anyday, just for the difference in the recoil that the frame will absorb.
    For some the snubbies can be hard to fire accurately for others no.
    I was 12 the first time I fired the very one I am buying and had no problems with recoil and accuracy. I went to the range with Dad and the gun yesterday and it, and I are still as accurate as ever. 80 rounds fired into 2 different Dot Torture targets put my accuracy at 80 and 82% of the shots in 2" groups.
    YMMV
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Wife and 642

I have a S&W 642 which I originally bought for my wife. She liked carrying it because of small size and weight, but had a hard time with it at the range because it has a sharp recoil and no padding on the grip. It hurt her hand and she couldn't fire it accurately. Finally I gave her a Colt Detective Special which weighs 6 ounces more (all steel) but is much easier to shoot well in double action. It also has the external hammer and single action option.

So I have "inherited" back the 642. I can shoot it reasonably well and find it very useful for pocket carry, as posters above have noted. If I'm going to carry a revolver on the belt, I'll go with all steel every time because the weight doesn't seem a problem in belt carry but helps a lot in shooting.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Administrator
    I have a 442 and have been spending a lot of time with it. Its a great little gun, but it is tough to shoot well. (but thats true with any small gun) A lot of time needs to be spent learning the gun, but once you do, its a great little point shooter.
    I ran the shoot houses a couple of times with it, and my scores were not as high, they were not off by much.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The J frame Smiths are all outstanding. My 642 is usually my go to CCW option more than any other and I have several. She likely will not find it very pleasent to shoot but generally CCW guns are shot little and carried often. As sixto stated even the best shooters have trouble with being acurate with small CCW guns but its a close range last resort weapon anyway so dead on reliablity is the most important factor and to be perfectly honest can you think of an senario where she would need to engage a goblin at more than say 10 yards max, likely 10 feet or much less is more like it. Let her get some range time in with it and feel comfortable with it and she will be good to go.

The best of the small CCW options?
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I have a S&W 642 which I originally bought for my wife. She liked carrying it because of small size and weight, but had a hard time with it at the range because it has a sharp recoil and no padding on the grip. It hurt her hand and she couldn't fire it accurately. Finally I gave her a Colt Detective Special which weighs 6 ounces more (all steel) but is much easier to shoot well in double action. It also has the external hammer and single action option.

So I have "inherited" back the 642. I can shoot it reasonably well and find it very useful for pocket carry, as posters above have noted. If I'm going to carry a revolver on the belt, I'll go with all steel every time because the weight doesn't seem a problem in belt carry but helps a lot in shooting.

I did a quote response just because I like this photo so much and I have both these great little revo's myself. Great photo for two great CCW guns. My advise to anybody who likes CCW handguns, if you can find a nice example of the Colt DK get it now you will not be sorry.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I have been carrying both a S&W 442 and a Kel-Tec P32 as my pocket guns. I had a taurus 85 but it was just too heavy for pocket carry as was my S&W 60 .38 Spl.

I carry the 442 in a Mika holster and it has the thin,hard Defender CT Laser grips on it. I shoot a lot of lower powered handloads at the range and a few of the GD Short Barrel loads that I carry in it.
    It took about 3000 dry fires to get the trigger pull to smooth out like I wanted it.
    I have always had a S&W snubbie and find them accurate and easy to shoot if you shoot it enough to be comfortable with it.

I do find the 442 to be too big for regular fitting jeans. It bulges in my pocket too much. It does work great with Dockers,5.11, cargo pants/shorts or any other pants of this type.
    For jeans I end up carrying the P-32 in a Nemisis holster and it also works well and conceals well.

No matter which gun I am shooting in the Action pit at my local range, I will usually end the session with some pocket draws and firing of the pocket gun from different positions and distances.
    I do keep a pistol in my pocket anytime I have pants,shorts or sweats on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links