Kahr P9 experiences?

This is a discussion on Kahr P9 experiences? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just picked up a Kahr P9 and I'm curious about how others have experienced this pistol. I've had a K9 for a number of years ...

Thread: Kahr P9 experiences?

Kahr P9 experiences?

Just picked up a Kahr P9 and I'm curious about how others have experienced this pistol. I've had a K9 for a number of years and have been generally pleased with the gun. It's reliable and accurate. I just got a "hankering" for it's polymer sister as a lighter carry gun (though one can hardly call the 25 oz. K9 onerous for any kind of belt carry.

So folks, what about the P9?

PC

2. Remove Ads

The P9 feels more natural in my hand than any other SD gun I have ever handled and those wh oown them seem to love them.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Same gun, different grip. The K9 has the P9 beat in reguards to grip comfort, but that's about it. Same upper, same trigger, same sights, all placed in a lighter frame. Still controlable in quick fire, still accurate. I put a Hogue Handall Jr. grip sleeve on mine which improved the gun IMHO. If you liked the K9, you'll like the P9.

Based on comparison threads on most any forum you read, the K9 may be more reliable than the P9. In my personal experience my two all metal Kahrs have been flawless in performance. My two plastic Kahrs have been less than flawless. I do not like shooting +P in plastic. The all metal Kahr handles the increased recoil better IMHO.

Comment

Like you, I've had a metal Kahr (MK9) for a couple of years and have been pleased with it. I have shot the K9 but only handled the P9. Like another poster I have read the user comments indicating better reliability from the metal Kahrs than the polymer versions, but have no personal experience in that.

The metal Kahrs are excellent in belt carry but too heavy for pocket carry. The polymer Kahrs are light enough for pants pocket, but I think that only the PM9 is small enough dimensionally for pocket - the P9 seems a little too long in the grip for that. So I presume the P9 is mainly a belt gun or possibly coat pocket.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I have two Kahr's, a P9 and a CW9. I do pocket carry them, but it depends on what pants I am wearing (some have larger pockets than others). I use a Fist kydex pocket holster.

I have had some problems with both immediately after purchase (both used). The cw9 was experiencing light primer strikes. A thorough cleaning of the firing pin area by a local gunsmith solved that problem. With the P9, it would drop the magazine each time the action cycled. I returned it to Kahr and they replaced the magazine catch which solved the issue.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I had an early P9 and it was never reliable enough to carry, even after Kahr tinkered with it.

I can't comment on the entire line, just my example.

Jim

I purchased a P9 for my wife a couple of months ago after an exhaustive search. It fit her hand better than anything else. It misfed a couple times during break in, but after 40 or so rounds it has functioned perfectly. She shoots 1"-1.5" groups @ 10 yds. After I shot it I was kinda of jealous. My Glock 23 just isn't as light and compact as that P9, but its a Glock, it's never failed.

Thanks, folks, for your replies.

PC

One more opinion.
    I love my P9 and carry it all the time. It fits my hand great, is light, and conceals well.
    The only feed problems I have ever had is with Wolf crappy ammo. All others work fine and it is a very dependable and accurate piece.
    "If discretion is the most important thing to the man who carries a gun, competency is the most imperative to the man who eventually uses it." - Massad Ayoob
    NRA Life member
    NRA certified pistol instructor

Links