SIg 229

SIg 229

This is a discussion on SIg 229 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I'm new to the board and I am strongly considering buying a Sig 229 in 40 cal. In a previous thread, I read ...

Thread: SIg 229

SIg 229

Hey all, I'm new to the board and I am strongly considering buying a Sig 229 in 40 cal. In a previous thread, I read this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave James
    Tank, remember two things,,SIG's run better a little wet, if your shooting a hell of a lot, lube heavy, the trw25 stuff works wonders,
    and never ever clean from the muzzle, or use any stainless steel brushes on them.

I have carried and shot the hell out of SIG's for better than 30 years, they are a great handgun
    Why do you say not to clean it with a stainless steel brush?

I have a S&W 906 in 9mm that I have cleaned with the brush for 7 years and I have never noticed a problem. Is this just something with a Sig or should you not ever clean a gun with a stainless steal brush?

thanks for the help.

1952 - 2006
    My understanding, (and I got this from Les Baer, Chuck Larsen of Rock River Arms, Ross Carter of Carter's Custom Weapons and Irv Stone of Bar-Sto Barrels,) is that stainless steel brushes are to hard for the bore. They will scratch or pit the barrel.

Always use phosphor bronze brushes for long barrel life.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Acp hit it and its a hard topic to get a true answer on.. for sure back in the 50's and 60's and before the barrel was softer than the stainless steel..

No a days i don't know if its still true or not

I've always used the PB brushes, if nothing else they seem to be easier to find. As far as not cleaning from the muzzle, I've heard that too: you should always clean from the breach direction. The problem is, that's not always possible... how do you get a rod into the breech of a std. revolver? Sometimes ya' just gotta do what ya' gotta do.

BTW, welcome to the Forum. The Sig 229 is a great weapon and buying the .40 cal. you'll have the option of converting to .357Sig. Let us know what you decide to buy and how it works for you.
    Jack

Assistant Administrator
    Welcome

I would say with SS brushes - judicious use only.

There are times when if having had to delead - that a single pass with an SS brush can finish the job but yes, PB brushes are best if possible. I have found SS very handy to use in revo chambers now and again to deal with something like a persistent burn ring from 38 in 357 for example.

Mind you barrels now are made from good materials and if brush can rotate to follow the twist then I doubt much harm will occur. Opinion does vary quite a bit!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    I've always used the PB brushes, if nothing else they seem to be easier to find. As far as not cleaning from the muzzle, I've heard that too: you should always clean from the breach direction. The problem is, that's not always possible... how do you get a rod into the breech of a std. revolver? Sometimes ya' just gotta do what ya' gotta do.

BTW, welcome to the Forum. The Sig 229 is a great weapon and buying the .40 cal. you'll have the option of converting to .357Sig. Let us know what you decide to buy and how it works for you.
    Jack
    2 words

Bore Snake

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Welcome

I would say with SS brushes - judicious use only.

There are times when if having had to delead - that a single pass with an SS brush can finish the job but yes, PB brushes are best if possible. I have found SS very handy to use in revo chambers now and again to deal with something like a persistent burn ring from 38 in 357 for example.

Mind you barrels now are made from good materials and if brush can rotate to follow the twist then I doubt much harm will occur. Opinion does vary quite a bit!
    I like nylon brushes chucked in a drill to clean the chambers

Lead Moderator
    I see the brush question has been answerred, just want to add that if you get the 229 I think you'll like it. SIG makes a great weapon. And, if you want a little change you can get a factory 357 SIG barrel for your 229.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Bore snakes and power drills? Where's your sense of tradition Bud? You're missing out on all the dinged knuckles and cussing!
    Jack

I love my Sig 229
    "You have enemies ? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life" Winston Churchill

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use" Galileo Galilei

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    Bore snakes and power drills? Where's your sense of tradition Bud? You're missing out on all the dinged knuckles and cussing!
    Jack
    What he said.

Not to mention the occassional cut from a feed ramp.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    What he said.

Not to mention the occassional cut from a feed ramp.

I've got so many Frigging guns Speed is the key when Cleaning

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Sig 229 (357) good gun. Fed bad shooter, LOL. Stainless steel brushes, bad ju-ju. Not in my gun, only a brass brush for my issued (sad face here) baby.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Links