Wife is still searching for a CC gun - Page 2

Wife is still searching for a CC gun

This is a discussion on Wife is still searching for a CC gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The holster question has come up a few times actually. She wears mostly elastic waisted skirts and loose pants. No belt at all and usually ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The holster question has come up a few times actually. She wears mostly elastic waisted skirts and loose pants. No belt at all and usually nothing with any sort of solid waistband. We took a long look at the Galco website over the past couple of nights and so far have a couple decent ideas.

First off we are not focusng just on Galco, they just have a decent range of leather for a wide array of guns. An excellent place to start.

She was thinking of two holsters. First an over the shoulder with a clip type tie down on the opposite side and second one of their thigh band type holsters. I would post links but the Galco site isn't cooperating tonight.

My wife is very fond of loose flowing clothing that could easily conceal either of these types of holster with a smaller gun. Smart carry/Thunderwear whatever its called these days is also a posibility. Now the Smartcarry and thigh band would be a bit slower but would completely dissapear under the clothes she wears. The shoulder holster would be a bit better in my opinion, but not always practical depending on the weather and all that. She is also very ambidexterous so that helps all the way around.

She is not...NOT...going to just toss a loaded gun in her purse. If she decides to carry that way we can get a pocket holster and attach it inside her purse but she is not going to toss a revolver in with her mascara and change. No way.

As far as what type of gun, well, I have said it before and I'll say it again. If it is what she feels comfortable with then I would rather she carry a .32 Beretta everyday than have a 9mm paperweight sitting in a safe somewhere.

Assistant Administrator
    Chance - I'll follow your rig choice with interest. My dear wife will not use a belt - despite encouragement!!

She can use a fanny pack but prefers purse and I hate that!!! I am convinced if I can find her a better carry choice she can get on with, she'll carry more often, tho I doubt I will ever get her to my 16/7 condition!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

You just can't go wrong with a SW Snub.... small, powerful package, and she does not have to worry about any feeding problems. I would get it for her.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I love my J-frame 442.... but the gun that's in my pocket most is my Keltec P3AT. As long as you don't get one of the early serial #'s that needed fluff & buff, these are good to go out of the box. If she liked the Walther, let her try the Keltec - - the .32 is OK too.

Sounds like you're on the right track Chance, good luck and keep us posted!
    Jack

i bought a kahr cw9 for a ccw piece it is a great gun small and lite i paid 440 new

I'm lucky my girlfriend wears a belt everyday W/iwb rig and sud-xd9. I couldn't get it from her if I tried that little gun goes everywhere she goes

VIP Member
    I'm new here, but I am seeing some things my wife and I have just gone through. She handled several different guns and finally decided she wanted the S&W 638. Its light and has a shrouded hammer. Everything was great until we went to shoot. She couldn't pull the trigger. She started exercising with a Gripmaster I used when I broke a hand. Last Saturday we went to NRA Basic Pistol Course. For the first 8 or 10 rounds it was fine, but then she couldn't pull the trigger anymore.

The instructor is also a gun dealer and I was looking at a Bersa 380 during a break. After lunch he told my wife he was concerned about her not being able to pull the trigger on her 638. I asked if she could use the Bersa that I had determined to buy anyway. Well I bought it but she owns it. Now I have a S&W 638 to get rid of.

She loves the Bersa. Her only complaint is that the decock lever is very hard to move. We have been working it to break it in. The twin to the Bersa 380 is the FireStorm 380 and the grips on it might be even better for a woman's hand than the Bersa's. Bersa has just announced a new version of the 380 that is call the Concealed Carry. It weighs about 18 oz. as compared to the 23 oz. of the regular 380. I don't know what they have done to reduce the weight. The full info is not available yet. I do notice that the base of the magazine is different. It also has the rubber grips like the FireStorm. This might be an option for your wife as well. I had thought about buying a FireStorm for me, but may buy the Concealed Carry and see if she will trade so I can have my Bersa back.

Assistant Administrator
    dr_cmg - welcome to CC -

Almost exactly like with my wife. She got on ''sorta'' OK with my old M85 snub but when we really looked hard at how she was doing - it was not that well - shots too spread and trigger not that easy.

She has now got my (her!) Bersa Thunder and loves it - got one for a friend too. The decocker is hellish stiff yes but I think time and particularly practice with technique do help.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Chance,
    My wife has problems with arthritis in her hands and we looked at several choices. She wouldn't go for a larger auto and had problems with double action revolvers. After trying several at a gun show, she picked the Sig 232 in .380. She can handle the first double action and from then on, the single action works wonders for her. She qualified for her CCW with the Sig and has been very pleased with it ever since. I'd love to see her with a stronger caliber, but heck, if she can point the .380 well and let loose with her 7 rounds in someone's face, I think she'll get the job done.

I just find this interesting that people with hand strength issues had to go to a semi from a revolver when my mother with her arthritis had to go from a semiauto to a revolver.

Of course she can't fire more than 4 or 5 shots out of any gun in one go, so perhaps she's an extreme case.

Cool Try this....

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg
    Last Saturday we went to NRA Basic Pistol Course. For the first 8 or 10 rounds it was fine, but then she couldn't pull the trigger anymore.
    Welcome to the forum! You might consider an H&K USP 9mm or 40 with the LEM trigger. Or in the alternative, the Sig P229 or P239 in 9mm or 40 with their DAK trigger action. The problem seems to be springs. The guns I've suggested have very light specially designed trigger pulls that are DAO and the slides are also easy to manipulate. There is no hammer drop to hassle with. Just my .02
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Euc,
    I think the problem is that my wife can handle one fairly easy double action, but can't do more than one. Then she has to have the easy single action to continue firing with the necessary control.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Be interesting to see her try the feel of Bersa .380 - my wife likes hers (mine!). Good value gun too even if a bit mouse in caliber.

Otherwise as Bud suggests - several small 9mm's around like Kahr. Even the new Skyy maybe and the new KelTec small 9.

I do suspect she may find the 642 category a bit brutal for good control.
    My stepdad just got one of those Bersa .380's...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links