New Beretta PX4 Subcompact. (pics)

This is a discussion on New Beretta PX4 Subcompact. (pics) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, Just wanted to share some pics and a short range review of the latest acquisition. I picked it up Friday at West Coast ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Beretta PX4 Subcompact. (pics)

Hey all,

Just wanted to share some pics and a short range review of the latest acquisition.

I picked it up Friday at West Coast Armory. I know the owner and had asked him to see about getting one for me. About a month went by with no word, so I decided to drop by the shop. Lo and behold, there is one sitting in the display case, which decided to follow me home. He thought I wanted the .40 version, which isn't supposed to start shipping until August.

First impression is this thing is built like a little brick. The only way I can justify calling it a sub-compact is by comparing it to the size of my 92FS. I don't see being able to carry it in a pocket, like the LCP. The first thing I did when I got it home was try the different sized back-straps. I ended up leaving the large sized one on, as it seems to fit my hand the best. It is the "F" model which means it has a decocker/safety and double/single action. I plan on converting it to a "G" model (decocker only). Note the chunkiness:

At the range, it ate up the 150 rounds of reloads and the 50 Magtechs with no faillures of any type with the sort of reliability I have come to expect from my 92FS. I did not even clean it or oil it, before firing it. It still had all of the factory lube on it. I plan on trying some hollow points, next trip, but I don't expect there to be any issues with them, either. I inspected some of the brass and it came out clean, with no dents or anything that would indicate pinging on part of the frame or extractor.

The magazines were very tough to load the last 2 rounds in, by hand. I had to use the little thingy to get them in. I plan on leaving both mags fully loaded for a while. This will supposedly make it possible to get the last 2 in, without having to use the thingy.

The double action trigger pull was long, but smooth and not too heavy. The single action caught me by surprise the first shot or two. It was suprisingly light, if towards the far end of the pull.

I was able to group very well at 10 yards, but the groups were a bit higher than I was aiming. At 25 yards, the groups opened up a bit for me, but were right height wise. I think I need to get used to the sight picture some. By this time a whole family of shooters joined my bay, including grandpa, and took the lane next to me and 4 others adjacent. I like to see families getting invloved like this, but was a little distracted as they were moving a lot behind me and really blasting away.

The chunkiness of the gun, makes recoil seem very light and manageable, with follow up shots a breeze. I liked the mag with the pinky extension better, but had no problem with the pinky wanting to slide off of the other mag, w/o the extension.

Overall, I am very impressed with the gun. I will definitely be keeping this one.

Now comes cleaning time and the search for a holster.

Here are a few pics to compare relative sizes with

Allen

SWEET collection!!! ENVY

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    i agree...that's a beautiful collection
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Sweet "little" pistol

Nice, and congrat's on the find!!
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

I've been looking at this gun for awhile.. It is a very good looking pistol..

How does the mag load assist work?

Thanks fellas. I just hope I can find a good way to conceal it, for our NW abbreviated summer, while wearing shorts and Ts.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianGarms View Post
    How does the mag load assist work?
    Frankly, not very well. You slip it over the top of the magazine and it has a little plastic piece on the inside that will help you get enough leverage and push the loaded rounds down a bit. This allows you to at least get the case rim under the mag lips. Once you have it under the lips, you remove the thingy, slide the round all the way in and repeat the process. The only other time I have used something like this is with a Ruger Mark II. That one worked great though, as it worked from the outside and let you fully compress the spring.

So would you compare it to a Baby Glock?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    So would you compare it to a Baby Glock?
    I would say it is quite a bit beefier than a baby Glock. The PX4 weighs as much unloaded as the Glock does loaded. It's a bit wider, too.

I actually looked at this gun first when I was looking for my first pistol. For whatever reason, I strayed to other things. Nice to hear of somebody that has it though, and that it performs well. Let us know how carrying it goes.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by alfack View Post
    I would say it is quite a bit beefier than a baby Glock. The PX4 weighs as much unloaded as the Glock does loaded. It's a bit wider, too.
    Wow must be a stout little pistol. Hope it lives up to the hype and long wait of those who have sought after it. I love the really stubby look it had, and still room for a light/laser, etc.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

The PX4 reg. size has it so the barrel rotates to absorb recoil. If such a good feature, why didn't they use it on the compact? If a PitBull Dog was to become a Gun, I think it would be the PX4 compact. Just my thoughts on the overall feel and looks of it. Nice weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsnpr View Post
    The PX4 reg. size has it so the barrel rotates to absorb recoil. If such a good feature, why didn't they use it on the compact?
    From what I've read this was left out of the compact due to engineering difficulties/saving a small amount of weight.

I was thinking about getting this one as my first gun as well. I like the way it shoots, but I'm going to go with the full size instead because I can conceal it just as easily as the compact.

I bought one, after a lot of waiting and a lot of hunting for it. I didn't think I would really carry it that much, since I'm happy with my others. However, I have found myself carrying it more and more .... vs the others.

It shoots great. I'm still a better shot with the EMP, but .... the PX4 actually conceals better and is more comfortable to carry for me.

I also found , that several XD and Cougar 8000 holsters work perfectly with it.

So... more and more, it has become my main carry gun.

Good for ya, sweet collection!!
    It's easier to avoid trouble than it is to get out of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links