Defensive Carry banner

A New Ruger LCP and 1st Impression.

4K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  EW3 
#1 ·
I've only had my Ruger LCP for 5 days but will say that I love it! It is of the new production, post recall 371 serial number series.

J Man told me he was in the store the day before and they had 3 or 4 in stock. We went the next day after I got off work to pick one up. When I asked they told me they were sold out.

They had one in the safe I could look at but it was already sold. I replied, "If it's sold, why is it still in the safe?" "Why isn't it out the door already?" One of the workers there had it reserved for him, but he said if I really wanted it, he'd let me take it instead. He said it was the 3rd one he's tried to get for himself and had turned over to a customer. A testament to how much demand there seems to be for these little mouse guns. They informed me they can not keep them on the shelf.

This was the first LCP I've actually laid eyes on and held and I will say I am pretty impressed with the fit and finish of the pistol. No tool marks are visible on the exterior and no rough edges. The finish on the slide is even and consistent and the words LCP (left side of slide) and RUGER - PRESCOTT - AZ - USA (right side of slide) are struck deep and crisp with consistent depth.

Again, there are no visible flaws or nicks on the exterior of the gun and it is visually appealing.

A lot of people swear by their P-3AT's and I can not or will not challenge that as I have no experience with one. However, they had two P-3AT's in the case and there is no comparison to the fit and finish of the Ruger vs. the Kel-Tec. Both the Kel-Tec's looked "rough" by comparison. But again, that says nothing as to reliability so I won't mention it further.

I was very frustrated that there was only one box of .380 ammo in stock when I bought it. So I bought the one box of Hornady 90 gr. FXT Critical Defense.

There was no .380 ammo in stock at the next store we stopped at on the way to J Man's house for the 1st shoot and I'm getting frustrated more trying to find any online. Did not try Walmart yet, but will look tomorrow.

Before firing the gun, we disassembled the LCP. Disassembling the LCP was easy although we did have to insert a screwdriver under the takedown pin as stated to do in the instructions. We tried at first without but felt like I would rip a fingernail off so out came my leatherman tool. Maybe with use, I'll be able to accomplish this without the use of a tool. I'm just disappointed that there is a risk of scratching the finish if you are not careful.

Inside the quality was just as nice as on the outside with one very minor tool mark on the bottom surface of the slide itself and one very small tool mark on the upper left corner of the feed ramp. I may buff that out if it appears to be a problem in the future. The gun was very well lubed at the factory and ensuring the barrel was free of obstructions or excessive amount of oil, we reassembled and were ready to shoot.

As I have only fired the one box of Hornady, I have very little I can comment on at this point. Not until I have more to shoot.

However, the LCP functioned flawlessly with the 25 rounds of Hornady 90 gr. FXT Critical Defense. Ejected rounds flew a solid six or more feet away in a consistent pattern. The firing pin struck with very solid and consistent primer hits.

The trigger. Well, it is stiff. There is not quite 1/2 inch of take up before getting to the actual trigger pull. Actual trigger pull is probably a good 8 or 9 pounds.

There is a slight amount of creep as you slowly apply pressure to the trigger. Just a tad grainy. But with 4 days of dry firing, it does seem to be becoming more smooth. It has a surprisingly clean break and I don't know if I'm just lucky with this particular gun or if this is common among other LCP's.

Since we only had 25 rounds to shoot, we just put up a couple of 12 or 16 oz Styrofoam drink cups we had left over from lunch and stepped off about seven yards. Basically, we shredded the two Styrofoam cups. All good hits and made them dance. As the cups flew to a new location, fast follow up shots found their mark every time. Until I get some more ammo and actually put up paper targets, I really can't get a good group measurement. However, I found it more than decent combat accuracy. Hey, it's a BUG! Will more than likely be shot off hand at contact distance out to 3 or 4 feet.

As other LCP owners have stated with their LCP's, it does seem to be more accurate with quick pulls of the trigger rather than trying to perform slow deliberate strokes at a snails pace. But then again there was two of us shooting it with a total of 25 rounds so there wasn't much critical evaluation or room to try lots of different things.

Time will tell more, but at first blush, it is definitely a winner and a keeper!

Sorry I have no pics to put up, but there's been plenty of pictures of LCP's in the forum lately. I did recover the bullets I shot and some of the cases. As I do more testing of the gun and other ammo, I'll try and remember to post some pics of the recovered bullets later on in an update. :comeandgetsome:

Cheers :bier:

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats man! Great little gun, mine has been great since it came back from Ruger. Unfortunately I can only find SD ammo, so shooting is expensive. I haven't been able to put many rounds through it since it came back. If you find some target ammo, let me know!

#3 ·
I'm waiting to get mine back from Ruger ( I think it will arrive Monday, as there was a notice left on my door Friday) and can't wait to put the Crimson Trace on! I sure hope they fixed the problem that I was having; I put Bersa finger extensions on the magazines, which made a HUGE difference in getting a nice secure grip on this little pocket rocket, but unfortunately, the plastic mag catch couldn't keep up, and the magazine would pop out after each shot. I understand Ruger came up with a metal mag catch that should solve this and are now selling their own finger extensions.

#4 ·
A few members have recommended the finger grip extensions from Pearce Grips over the ones sold on Ruger's website.

You can get them at the store on the Elsie Pea (LCP) forum here. You have to join the forum to get their price but for me, that's not a deal breaker. I ordered two sets of grip extensions plus the cool little Streamlight microstream pen light.

I also ordered two spare magazines and a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster from Midway since they were in stock.

#5 ·
I recommend getting the Hogue slip on grip. You will have to trim the bottom to fit, but it makes a world of difference when shooting the LCP. Everytime I go to the range, I'm amazed how accurate this little gun is. Mine plays back-up to a Glock 27 or XD .45 Compact, (depend on my mood).

#6 ·
Got to say I am as happy with mine as you seem to be yours. I took mine apart and coated it with Militec1 and baked it on twice to give it good protection from sweat and oils from the body when handled. I had to send mine back for the recall but it was pretty painless and quick turn around. I really agree on the looks of the gun, nice lines and finish for a cheep pocket gun. Again +1 for the Militec for protecting the finish and for lube.

#7 ·
Once you own one, it is easy to understand the excitement around this little unit!!!! Mine is away right now, hopefully a AZ, but that's for a different thread.

Went to a new local gun dealer, and found he had Hornaday sd loads for $17.00 for a box of 25, and Magtec or Remington fmj at $11.00 for 50, so I bought 3 boxes.

Z

#12 ·
Bark'n you and I must be thinking the same thing. I also purchased my LCP 5 days ago and I am very pleased with it. I did come up with a couple of boxes of Cor Bon .380 90gr. JHP and I have a spare magazine on order. I was able to find a DeSantis Nemises pocket holster as well. Now there is no excuse for me to go unarmed except of course where it is legally forbidden.

#13 ·
...Now there is no excuse for me to go unarmed except of course where it is legally forbidden.
My sentiments exactly! Mine is primarily a Back-Up piece, but I also got it for those rare occasions where I don't have a wardrobe to conceal something larger and would otherwise go without.

J man was so impressed that he is seriously considering getting one as well. He's really had his eye set on an exposed hammer coach gun for his next purchase but after shooting my LCP, he is really seeing the need for a Back-Up and/or something to carry when his full size Paraordnance is too large to carry.

I also explained that the exposed hammer coach gun is probably one of the only guns Obama and Rahm Emmanuel will allow folks to keep buying if they get their way, so better get that hide-out gun now while you still can.

Yeah, I know I'm just perpetuating the paranoia, but... you never know. Bill Clinton got a pretty good start on major gun ban legislation and we were lucky congress was later able to repeal the damage he had done. A repeal may not come quite as fast this time.

#14 ·
If you can find it, I highly recommended Magtech .380 FMJ for practice ammo in the LCP.

For defensive ammo, Corbon DPX and Remington Golden Saber work very well also.

#15 ·
Woo-Hoo!!! :danceban:

My LCP arrived back today! It seems to have a new metal mag catch so the Pearce finger extensions I bought should work well without causing the mag to pop out. It also has the new curved slide lock which seems 1000x easier; the old flat one was virtually impossible to use.

Now to get the Crimson Trace on, get her cleaned up , get the snow cleared off the car and off to the range to try this puppy!

#16 · (Edited)
The clerk at Gander Mountain Stores told me they get about 10 LCP per month, but they go fast. They are selling for $349.00 now, but last spring when I bought mine, they were $299.00.

#17 ·
just bought my LCP at a gun show this weekend. Only saw one at the whole show, and i was there early on the lookout for one. Perhaps other dealers saved some back to put out later, but I doubt that. Saw lots of keltecs for sale, but lucked out with the only LCP there that I know of. Had 3 guys and one dealer try to buy it from me :) ... paid $300 for it.

#18 ·
Bark'n

I was wondering when you would get around to posting about the new gun that you bought me. j/k

On a more serious note, your review is spot on with my impressions of the LCP. A few things that I will add to the review. I was very impressed with how manageable this little pistol is when shooting, especially since I could only get my middle finger and about a quarter of my ring finger on the grip. After we finished shooting, Bark'n and I were standing there talking and I had put the pistol in my front pocket for a minute to put a dip in and the next thing I know Bark'n is searching his pockets trying to find where he put his new pistol. I told Bark'n that I had it in my pocket and he said that just by looking from two feet away he could not tell which pocket I had it in. All in all I am very impressed and will probably be returning to the store soon to see if they have gotten any more in stock.

I was suprised at how many there were at a gun show that I attended a couple of days before Bark'n and I went to get his new gun. The only problem was that the LCP's that I looked at there at the gun show were of the recall series and they were asking more for them there than at the store where Bark'n purchased his at.

Yes I am considering very hard about putting off my coach gun purchase for the LCP, oh and by the way Bark'n it's a hammerless model that i've been looking at.

#19 ·
Post-Recall Range Report

I just got back from the range with my just-returned 370-XXX series LCP and I have to tell you I am 100% satisfied with Ruger's customer service and the work they did regarding the recall.

The Good:
1. The LCP happily ate 50 rounds of Remington Golden Saber and 100 rounds of WWB and Magtech FMJ. No hiccups, jams, FTF, etc. :smile:

2. The new Pearce finger extensions work GREAT with the new metal magazine catch. Makes a huge difference in how this puppy handles; before it wanted to jump out of your hand with each shot, now I can get a good grip on it. I highly recommend and unlike the perpetually back-ordered Ruger ones, these are readily available.

3. The new curved slide lock works good too; before the old flat one was virtually impossible to use.

4. Did Ruger replace the guide rod? I seem to recall the old one being rather flimsy feeling plastic and my LCP arrived back with a metal one.

The Bad:
1. I gave in and bought the LG-431 Crimson Trace laser grip for my LCP and I had very disappointing results with it. The front activation button unfortunately requires such a death grip that my hands started shaking like crazy.
I couldn't hit jack squat even with the little dancing red dot dead center on the target. When I gave up and just relaxed and used the fixed sights, I was making great, tight groups at 5 and 7 yards. The Crimson Trace looks like an expensive mistake. :frown: Oh well.

Overall, I'm really happy with this little pocket rocket and just ordered a Crossbreed MiniTuck for spring/summer carry.

#20 ·
The Bad:
1. I gave in and bought the LG-431 Crimson Trace laser grip for my LCP and I had very disappointing results with it. The front activation button unfortunately requires such a death grip that my hands started shaking like crazy.
I couldn't hit jack squat even with the little dancing red dot dead center on the target. When I gave up and just relaxed and used the fixed sights, I was making great, tight groups at 5 and 7 yards. The Crimson Trace looks like an expensive mistake. :frown: Oh well.

Overall, I'm really happy with this little pocket rocket and just ordered a Crossbreed MiniTuck for spring/summer carry.

I am glad you reported on your experience with the Crimson Trace laser grip. I was thinking about getting one, but now I will skip it.

#21 ·
CT laser

I have the CT laser on my P3at it is the whip. 2" groups at 7 yard as long as I can stand to shoot it. And for those of you that talk about the shaking red dot . If you think your sight picture isn't moving you need glasses. On target in an instant easy to actuate faster than trying to find the almost non existant sights. Buy it learn to use it you will be happy with it

#22 ·
I have the CT laser on my P3at it is the whip. 2" groups at 7 yard as long as I can stand to shoot it. And for those of you that talk about the shaking red dot . If you think your sight picture isn't moving you need glasses. On target in an instant easy to actuate faster than trying to find the almost non existant sights. Buy it learn to use it you will be happy with it
Well, my problem is the front grip button on the LCP's Crimson Trace requires me to squeeze so hard that my hand gets shaky and I can't even hit the target.

I also found myself concentrating more on that red dot than my trigger squeeze, breathing and posture.

To each his own, I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.