Asked About My New Dream Gun Today - Page 2

Asked About My New Dream Gun Today

This is a discussion on Asked About My New Dream Gun Today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The CASPIAN damascus is actually 2 different alloys of Stainless. The billets are fabricated like true Damascus. Layered & machine forge welded Stainless. They are ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asked About My New Dream Gun Today

Administrator

THE Caspian Slide

The CASPIAN damascus is actually 2 different alloys of Stainless.
    The billets are fabricated like true Damascus. Layered & machine forge welded Stainless. They are more like mass produced Damascus patterned Billets. Caspian does not make the Damascus billets. They do the machine & milling work on them though. Then the slides are fully machined from that rough bar stock. Beautiful slides.
    VERY NICE SLIDES...& priced at $600.00+ just for the slide they are not real cheap.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

So basically it's a modern set of materials made in the same style to get the distintinctive look and the end result would be capable of handling the pressures.

Okay I can dig that.

The only thing I really know about Damascus steel is that it wasn't invented in Damascus, the technique was lost at some point, and that it's from the fifth or sixth century. I always thought it was just a custom thing for old shotguns since shotguns are low pressure affairs or custom cutlery, but not something you could actually use for anything practical.

The Wiki article references how the shotgun barrels are made this way, which I wasn't aware of. I hadn't thought of using superior modern materials to make something useful that still had the appearance.

Learn something new every day. I have to admit, I'd like to see that. It would be unique.

Administrator

Interesting

Yep...Euc You are (as usual) correct.
    True Damascus was low carbon & high carbon steel or I guess Iron & steel layered by forge welding.
    The most amazing Damascus was done by some knife makers...One maker crafting a knife from space....made of meteoric iron. Forging Knives from Iron Meteorites! How NEAT is that!

One knife maker in PA was hand making/forging Damascus with up wards of 30,000 forge welded layers. Ashly Forge.

The pattern is brought out by using a final acid etch that eats into one steel more than the other & darkens the one with less nickle in it. (I think)

Different patterns are produced by twisting the billet laters & doing various things like combining a right & left hand twist in alternating layers...& so forth.

I don't want to "offer up" any false info as fact but, that is basically the process.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links