Help Me Understand the World of Colt Mustangs

This is a discussion on Help Me Understand the World of Colt Mustangs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had the opportunity to shoot one of these fine .380 pistols a while back. I realize that they are discontinued by Colt but was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Understand the World of Colt Mustangs

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

I had the opportunity to shoot one of these fine .380 pistols a while back. I realize that they are discontinued by Colt but was thinking about trying to buy one from a dealer or private individual. I know that there were a number of limited/special editions as well. Can anyone give me a brief rundown of the different models of the Colt Mustang?

JD
    Administrator
    There are three different sizes of the modern Colt .380, and two different frame materials.

There was the Mustang, Mustang +II, and Government .380. They came in a variety of finishes, blued, stainless steel, satin nickle, etc.

The steel frame models have no suffix, the alloy framed models have "Pocketlite" at the the end of the name, so if you see a Mustang Pocketlite, or Mustang +II Pocket lite, they are the lighter guns with the alloy frame.

Regarding the sizes IIRC the Gov't .380 was the original which has longer bbl and frame which accommodates seven rounds, the Mustang has the shorter bbl. and shorter frame which originally held five rounds, but six round mags were made available, there is also an extended version with pinky rest that holds seven. The Mustang +II has the shorter slide and bbl of the Mustang, while retaining the grip frame of the Gov't holding seven rounds hence the +II, as it holds two more rounds than that of the Mustang which originally held five.

Gov't .380

Mustang +II (top) and Mustang (bottom)

VIP Member
    I don't know how many special editions were made, but I have one. It's the Nitelite from the Colt custom shop. I'm at work so I can't post a picture of it.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Thanks JD! What do "IIRC" and "BBL" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    Thanks JD! What do "IIRC" and "BBL" mean?
    If I Remember Correctly
    Barrel
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

If you're looking for a carry gun and want something like it but not necessarily it by brand name, look at the new Sig .380. It is.... well... lets put it nicely: closely related to the Colt Mustang and some parts even crossover between the two.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    JD nailed it as usual. The mustangs are very nice pistols, easy to conceal and dependable.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

I saw some w/pearl grips and even one with a nickel finish. Are these things even affordable (i.e. under $1,000) today since they are discontinued?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    I saw some w/pearl grips and even one with a nickel finish. Are these things even affordable (i.e. under $1,000) today since they are discontinued?
    Price varies anywhere from $200ish to $1K+ pending on condition etc average price is usually in the $500-700 range.

VIP Member
    Agree on the average price, but have seen some being sold for 2-3 times that. Don't know why.

That reminds me: I know someone in SoCal that has one for sale (first owner, mint condition: I looked, I drooled, decided I don't need another one) for I think about 8 bills (give or take). If anyone's interested I could get the guy's email address and whoever is interested can workout details.

GKG

Thumbs up Pocketlite...

One of our main B.U.G.'s is a Colt Mustang Pocketlite. Small .380, accurate as hell out to 50 feet +! Easy to conceal and easy to carry a pair of spare mags! Love ours!
    Geoff & Suzy-If you're reading it, Suzy typed it.
    In Loving Memory of my baby brother Benjamin Ian
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" Plato
    "Those who give up liberty for the sake of security deserve neither liberty nor security." Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Here's my Nitelite!!
    You think I did OK for $300 Cdn $??
    Attached Images
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

GKG
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Here's my Nitelite!!
    You think I did OK for $300 Cdn $??
    +1000 you did better than OK my friend! Nice find!
    Geoff & Suzy-If you're reading it, Suzy typed it.
    In Loving Memory of my baby brother Benjamin Ian
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" Plato
    "Those who give up liberty for the sake of security deserve neither liberty nor security." Benjamin Franklin

Brag

I have to brag. If you are familiar with the design, you know there's a trck to reassembly. You have to push the ejector out of the way, but if you push it too far you need to do a bit of fiddling with the gun to reset the ejector and spring. Such procedure is covered well in the manual, free from Colt.

A customer brought in a blue Government .380 to be "fixed" for the above problem. He never came back to pick it up and never responded to the letters we sent after 90 and 120 days. I bought it for what was owed for the repair. $20 of shop time.

I'm a lefty and it makes a great BUG.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links