Defensive Carry banner

KelTec PF9

7K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  AllAmerican 
#1 ·
3 quick questions.

I was looking at picking up a KT PF9 for Home Defense and wanted to hear some feedback as how this would serve as a home defense gun with a laser/light combo. I have 3 simple Questions.

1. Is the KT PF-9 a decent choice for Home Defense, is it reliable enough??
2. Is the 9mm an adaquete round for home defense??
3. Is there a specific Laser/Light combo that would fit this gun well???

Thanks as always for the help!

#3 ·
The PF9 is a fine gun. As long as it works for you that is all that matters.

I have my PF9 right next to me with a X2 light on it and I have a backup gun and the wife has hers so I'm not to worried about it. :comeandgetsome:

#4 ·
I agree with shotgun for home, or at least a better handgun. I carry my PF-9 in front pocket in pocket holster. Great carry gun. They can be a pain to break in, you may or may not have many headaches and regrets at first but after about 300 rounds (for me). It started gobbling up everything.

#5 ·
PF-9 works great for me. The 9mm is more than sufficient to get the job done. I would use something like Corbon's Pow'R Ball or Hornady's Critical Defense. I want the round to expand and stay in the perp - not over penetrate go through some sheet rock and injure a loved one. Shotgun I am not sold on - too much collateral damage. Sheet rock will not stop much.

#6 ·
I have no complaints against my PF-9 and it makes a nice little carry pistol, though I haven't really shot it a bunch. But, for a HD handgun, I'd like to have a little more gun. Nothing wrong with the 9mm, but the PF-9 is a single stack, 7+1 pistol. If I'm trying to defend my home in the middle of the night wearing just my underwear (now that's enough to scare off all but the most desperate BGs), I may not have the capability to grab gun, flashlight and a couple spare mags. For that reason, I chose the XDM-40 to be my HD pistol. With 16+1 40 S&W rounds in the gun, I'm planning on being able to fight my way to a shotgun or AR.

Hoss

#9 ·
I agree the shotgun is a good choice. But some don't want the bulk of wielding a shotgun around a house untrained. I also agree that the pf-9 is not enough gun. The 9mm part is fine but you need a little more substantial gun. Look at a Glock 19 or a p229 maybe a Smith M&P 9

#10 ·
Gotta disagree there. Glock, Sig or Keltec, they are all shooting a 9mm projectile. Make isnt gonna have anything to do with stopping a threat at the point where the OP needs to use it.

Im sure everyone has seen the pistol grip shotties and that isnt hard to maneuver in the home.

Im certainly not saying that any hand gun wouldnt work for home defense (I have my P11 with me everywhere in the house including by the bed at night) but a shot gun in the home is where its at.

I dont keep a round chambered. I want them to hear that first round get racked LOL

#11 ·
9mm is a good defensive round and the PF-9 in a great little carry gun but......

For home defense, I would get a long gun, either a shotgun or carbine (I use a M-1 carbine) if I wanted a pistol I would get a Glock 17 or .357 revolver.

#14 ·
i carry my PF-9 everyday and shoot it more than my glock 17, well, because its my primary carry gun, but if faced with a situation that I needed to draw and I had a choice between the glock and the kel-tec, i'm going with the glock everytime. so why don't I carry the glock? too big! but great for night stand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.