KelTec PF9

This is a discussion on KelTec PF9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 3 quick questions. I was looking at picking up a KT PF9 for Home Defense and wanted to hear some feedback as how this would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KelTec PF9

KelTec PF9

3 quick questions.

I was looking at picking up a KT PF9 for Home Defense and wanted to hear some feedback as how this would serve as a home defense gun with a laser/light combo. I have 3 simple Questions.

1. Is the KT PF-9 a decent choice for Home Defense, is it reliable enough??
    2. Is the 9mm an adaquete round for home defense??
    3. Is there a specific Laser/Light combo that would fit this gun well???

Thanks as always for the help!

2. Remove Ads

1) Its a good choice for personal defense but you'd rather have a shotgun for the home IMO

2) For personal defense, yes. Again, you'd rather have a shotgun IMO

3) Yes... visit KTOG.Org - Kel-Tec Owners Group to find out more. I believe its the Armalaser.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

The PF9 is a fine gun. As long as it works for you that is all that matters.

I have my PF9 right next to me with a X2 light on it and I have a backup gun and the wife has hers so I'm not to worried about it.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I agree with shotgun for home, or at least a better handgun. I carry my PF-9 in front pocket in pocket holster. Great carry gun. They can be a pain to break in, you may or may not have many headaches and regrets at first but after about 300 rounds (for me). It started gobbling up everything.

PF-9 works great for me. The 9mm is more than sufficient to get the job done. I would use something like Corbon's Pow'R Ball or Hornady's Critical Defense. I want the round to expand and stay in the perp - not over penetrate go through some sheet rock and injure a loved one. Shotgun I am not sold on - too much collateral damage. Sheet rock will not stop much.

I have no complaints against my PF-9 and it makes a nice little carry pistol, though I haven't really shot it a bunch. But, for a HD handgun, I'd like to have a little more gun. Nothing wrong with the 9mm, but the PF-9 is a single stack, 7+1 pistol. If I'm trying to defend my home in the middle of the night wearing just my underwear (now that's enough to scare off all but the most desperate BGs), I may not have the capability to grab gun, flashlight and a couple spare mags. For that reason, I chose the XDM-40 to be my HD pistol. With 16+1 40 S&W rounds in the gun, I'm planning on being able to fight my way to a shotgun or AR.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I got the P-11 and put a rubber sleeve on it to soften the recoil,It will get the job done but fer HD ya can't beat a shotty
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    1) Its a good choice for personal defense but you'd rather have a shotgun for the home IMO

2) For personal defense, yes. Again, you'd rather have a shotgun IMO

3) Yes... visit KTOG.Org - Kel-Tec Owners Group to find out more. I believe its the Armalaser.
    plus one. great gun for carry and personal defense. for the home get a shotgun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I agree the shotgun is a good choice. But some don't want the bulk of wielding a shotgun around a house untrained. I also agree that the pf-9 is not enough gun. The 9mm part is fine but you need a little more substantial gun. Look at a Glock 19 or a p229 maybe a Smith M&P 9
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I agree the shotgun is a good choice. But some don't want the bulk of wielding a shotgun around a house untrained. I also agree that the pf-9 is not enough gun. The 9mm part is fine but you need a little more substantial gun. Look at a Glock 19 or a p229 maybe a Smith M&P 9
    Gotta disagree there. Glock, Sig or Keltec, they are all shooting a 9mm projectile. Make isnt gonna have anything to do with stopping a threat at the point where the OP needs to use it.

Im sure everyone has seen the pistol grip shotties and that isnt hard to maneuver in the home.

Im certainly not saying that any hand gun wouldnt work for home defense (I have my P11 with me everywhere in the house including by the bed at night) but a shot gun in the home is where its at.

I dont keep a round chambered. I want them to hear that first round get racked LOL
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Senior Moderator
    9mm is a good defensive round and the PF-9 in a great little carry gun but......

For home defense, I would get a long gun, either a shotgun or carbine (I use a M-1 carbine) if I wanted a pistol I would get a Glock 17 or .357 revolver.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Administrator
    I agree with almost everybody else, I want something a little bigger for my house gun. But, if you can only do one, the PF9 will work.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    Gotta disagree there. Glock, Sig or Keltec, they are all shooting a 9mm projectile. Make isnt gonna have anything to do with stopping a threat at the point where the OP needs to use it.

Im sure everyone has seen the pistol grip shotties and that isnt hard to maneuver in the home.

Im certainly not saying that any hand gun wouldnt work for home defense (I have my P11 with me everywhere in the house including by the bed at night) but a shot gun in the home is where its at.

I dont keep a round chambered. I want them to hear that first round get racked LOL
    Wasn't really implying the pf-9 wasn't up to the job...but if I have a home invasion in progress in my home, I don't wanna small pocket gun with minimal rounds in it. The Kel-tec is a fine weapon, but they are all pretty small in stature with sshort sight radiuses and low capacity. Just thought a bigger fighting handgun would be better handled at 0300 in the dark with usually 10-20 rounds in it depending on the model. If Kel-tec made a 4-4.5 inch barrel and high cap fighting gun, I would certainly sau that they would do. Not being a brand snob, just a practicality snob.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

i carry my PF-9 everyday and shoot it more than my glock 17, well, because its my primary carry gun, but if faced with a situation that I needed to draw and I had a choice between the glock and the kel-tec, i'm going with the glock everytime. so why don't I carry the glock? too big! but great for night stand.

I keep a Witness .45 ACP behind my bed table. During the day I carry either a PF-9 or P-3AT, depending on what I'm wearing or where I'm going.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links