Glock 23 or Cmdr. 1911 (for IWB)?

This is a discussion on Glock 23 or Cmdr. 1911 (for IWB)? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got both (a Glock 23 and a very lovely Commander sized 1911) and am considering really honing in on one for IWB carry; and, ...

Thread: Glock 23 or Cmdr. 1911 (for IWB)?

I've got both (a Glock 23 and a very lovely Commander sized 1911) and am considering really honing in on one for IWB carry; and, of course, I like them both equally. Feel free to discuss the merits of each.
    Thanks.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

I own and carry both of these as well. For me, which one I'm carrying at any given time boils down to how much range time I've had lately. The thinking is that if I've gotten enough rounds though the 1911 lately to feel comfortable disengaging the safety and engaging the light single action trigger - then I carry the 1911. If I've been too busy to spend much time at the range for a while, I carry the Glock.

Toss a coin.

I'm not carrying my 1911's because they are all steel and heavier than my polymers and they don't have tritium sights like my polymers. But that's just me.

I still love the 1911 platform and if I do get another, It will be alloy with night sights so I'll end up carrying it instead of sitting in the safe.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Toss a coin...
    That'd be my response, too. I love both guns, and personally, I'd go with the Commander. But, the G23 would be fine.

I've got a fairly recent case of 1911-itis. Word is, there's no cure.

If you have any love for the Commander, you'll carry the Glock. You see, you'll be spending less time taking care of and cleaning your Colt than you would the Glock and you won't be worrying about rust and other trivial things. (Well, you asked).

The Glock has greater capacity, is lighter and easier to maintain, and is not so finicky as most 1911s can be. Go Glock.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I am in the same boat... 1911 or PT24/7 Pro...
    I guess I'll just have to keep wearing them alternately until I tire of one.... and that can take quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    The Glock has greater capacity, is lighter and easier to maintain, and is not so finicky as most 1911s can be. Go Glock.
    what he said...
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    If you have any love for the Commander, you'll carry the Glock. You see, you'll be spending less time taking care of and cleaning your Colt than you would the Glock and you won't be worrying about rust and other trivial things. (Well, you asked).
    +1 RamRod... A totally different perspective outta left field. Can't say I disagree either.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Oh to have such a problem.

I'm still waiting for my Colt. (2months down God knows how many to go.)

Guess I'll have to stick with my G21.

Well..................

Like comparing a HOT American chick to a HOT Austrian chick(....sort of!!). Have an OM and Gov't(both Colts)and a Glock 19(same frame as your 23)and the truth is I carry the Glock(and to be totally honest my G26 the MOST)more. Might be because it was my duty-weapon after carrying a S&W Model 64 3" for years and it became MORE habit than anything else. The Glock(your 23)gives you more firepower than the Commander and is probably more reliable with HP ammo than your 1911(unless it's been worked). The finish is more conducive to IWB carry(again unless your 1911 has an after-market coating). The 1911 is definitely more comfortable "in hand",slimmer grip,higher grip position etc. It's a crap-shoot . Both weapons are first-rate and you'll be well-strapped with either. Good Luck and thanks for letting me "muddy the waters"
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I carry a full size Kimber 1911, have a "Super Tuck" IWB on order. My only problem is the size of the 1911, sometimes I have to work at it to conceal it. I will post a thread when I get the holster and let you know how it works, but from what I have read on DC my report will be positive.

People on this thread and others talk about maintance and problems with 1911s. I must live a blessed life because I have had no problems with my 1911. I shoot Federal Premium as my self defense ammo and just about anything 230 grains FMJ including my own reloads at the range. When I am done at the range I clean and lube my 1911 on the tail gate of my truck, return the SD ammo to my now clean operational carry gun, holster and go about my business. Just so happens often Wally World is the next stop wash my hands and pick up the things my wife asked for.

Semper Fi
    Last edited by Elk Hunter; March 5th, 2009 at 11:31 PM.

Sponsored Links