.380..Does it measure up?

This is a discussion on .380..Does it measure up? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Everytime I ask around and tell people I am interested in buying a gun that takes .380, they all say it is a waste of ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: .380..Does it measure up?

Question .380..Does it measure up?

Everytime I ask around and tell people I am interested in buying a gun that takes .380, they all say it is a waste of money, and very under powered round. They all say I just need to adjust to carrying IWB a full size gun and be really protected. One person even said that "hitting someone with 380 is not much better then pepper spray"

So would buying a Ruger LCP not be a good idea for my summer carry gun?

2. Remove Ads

Not preferable but as they say "a gun is better than no gun". Many people carry this as a back up (BUG) but the caliber is not usually sufficient to stop people in all cases. It would likey make them reconsider their actions and sometimes that's all you can carry. If you have a huge 5" full size 1911 .45 cal but never take it out of the safe because you can't conceal it ion the summer then it doesn't do you much good.

But I would say that you should be able to find a small light gun in at least 9mm that would potentially be more effective when called upon.

Presentation alone is enough to end the situation most of the time. Even if the .380 is less powerful than other available options, it will still be effective for almost any situation you encounter. It is better to get a smaller, weaker gun that you will always carry than a larger, more powerful gun that you leave at home.

Besides, judging from the posts I've read, quite a few people on this forum carry one. Not much better than pepper spray? I'm not so sure about that.

VIP Member
    A .380 with a good defensive round is capable of doing the job, provided you do yours with shot placement. Just remember accuracy with a mini gun is not going to be the same as with a full size gun in most cases, and from what I understand about the LCP and KelTek 3AT they are not a fun gun to shoot, due to their size and weight.

One person even said that "hitting someone with 380 is not much better then pepper spray"
    Did you ask which he would prefer to be shot with?

tag
    A lot of people have been killed by a .380.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators10 View Post

Everytime I ask around and tell people I am interested in buying a gun that takes .380, they all say it is a waste of money, and very under powered round. They all say I just need to adjust to carrying IWB a full size gun and be really protected. One person even said that "hitting someone with 380 is not much better then pepper spray"

The thing to remember is that there are a lot of idiots out there.......and they all seem to have opinions that are seldom supported by fact.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

the .380 is basically a small 9mm. Same projectile just less powder. You can get "hot" loads that almost compare to a 9mm. but the most important thing is shot placement. And what you are comfortable with. (recoil and such) Go to a range where you can rent pistols and find out which one you like. Then go from there.. Hope this helps.
    It takes over 40 muscles to frown. But yet less than 10 to smack the hell outta who makes you frown. Work smarter, not harder......

VIP Member

It all depends

They all say I just need to adjust to carrying IWB a full size gun and be really protected. One person even said that "hitting someone with 380 is not much better then pepper spray"
    It all depends on where they are hit; exactly as it does with 9 mm, .40, and .45. The only issue is penetration depth and expansion, both of which are pretty good with modern ammo. Unless you are in a climate where folks wear multiple layers of heavy clothing, penetration and expansion won't be an issue with good ammo. A .380 is the same diameter as 9mm. Up close where handguns get used, it will be an effective rnd.

Make your choice on three issues: what you can afford; what you can comfortably carry; what you can easily shoot well. Factor in how frequently you plan to practice. 9mm is still the least expensive ammo other than .22 lr. The cost difference for practice can add up quickly.

Better an LCP in your pocket when you need it than a full size something else in .45 at home because it was inconvenient to carry.

So, what caliber has killed more people than any other?

I'm not advocating a .22, but it is better than nothing.

I do have the LCP and the Kel-Tec P3AT. They are not fun to shoot,
    but I can conceal them anywhere, anytime. I think they are ok
    as long as you are using a defensive round, like a Hydoshock or
    something.

VIP Member
    I'd sure rather get sprayed with OC than shot with a .380! If you buy a .380, get a good quality gun such as the Sig P232. Qualiity and dependability are most important.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

They all say I just need to adjust to carrying IWB a full size gun and be really protected. One person even said that "hitting someone with 380 is not much better then pepper spray"
    I suggest you invite anyone who says this to stand there and take a couple of .380 rounds in the face. You can even offer to get pepper sprayed first.

Seriously, though, I do think you would be much better protected with a larger gun. Not necessarily because the .380 is underpowered, but because a larger gun will be much easier to shoot well. A well placed .380 can disable an attacker, but getting well placed shots with a micro-compact gun like the LCP is not easy. It's a good backup gun, or a gun for carry in an NPE, but for summer carry I would think about altering your summer wardrobe enough to carry a larger gun.

I will 2nd what has been said about the Sig P232. I carry the P232 on a regular basis is the warmer months and it is extremely easy to conceal , no matter what the attire. I have shot the LCP on one range trip and it was the most uncomfortable gun I have ever shot. It does have concealabilty going for it, but for me it is no easier to conceal than my P232.

I wouldn't want to get hit with one...
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you really need it, you will need it really fast. ALWAYS one in the chamber.
    Nuf said!

380 will do the job. I second the option that finding a small 9mm might be a better choice, but a 380 will do just fine.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

What are some small affordable 9mm's?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links