GSSF Advice

This is a discussion on GSSF Advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Friends, I just joined Glock Sport Shooting Foundation and am interested to participate in their matches. I have to buy a Glock to do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GSSF Advice

GSSF Advice

Hi Friends,
    I just joined Glock Sport Shooting Foundation and am interested to participate in their matches. I have to buy a Glock to do so (toys!) and am a little unsure of which one I should get. Background: I have a Ruger SR9 which I have been using in IDPA so don't want to get something exactly like that, I don't think. However, I am open to suggestion:

1. 9mm or 40 S&W?

2. If 9mm, G17 or G34?

3. If 40 S&W, G22 or G35?

4. If I get the G34 or G35, I have to compete in the "Competition" category with GSSF. If G17 or G22, I participate in the "Civilian" category. Is there a big difference?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Range Rat
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

2. Remove Ads

My local club has held the GSSF match two years in a row. Last year was the first time I ever went to one of these. I took my G17 to that match. I also use my G17 for the IPSC matches our club holds. I do the production class. If i wanted a major classification, I'd use my G22 in production or limited ten division. The sight radius on the full size Glocks is more conducive to accuracy at least for me, and a higher capacity for the production class (less reloads). I still see no need in the Glock compensated models unless you are being sponsored and outfitted with Glock equipment and support......in other words, when you start making money from your matches, it might help. I can't ever see carrying a compensated model for anything since carry should be practical. Learn the Glock trigger, and controlling your pistol is most important whether you choose 9mm or 40S&W, than extras that more than likely won't do you any good and make you somewhat dependent on making up for what you lack in my opinion. If you get hooked on the matches, it might be best to get the caliber that would be easier on your wallet as well. Most matches I've been to run 200-300 rounds depending. And if you miss the steel plates as much as I do, you'll spend an extra 50 rounds over the total round count anyway.

Thanks Ram Rod. I guess I need to go shoot Glock 17s and 22s to decide on 9mm vs 40. Are the G34 and 35 compensating? I didn't realize that.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Buy the Glock you like and there is a GSSF category to fit your choice.

Of course, the larger, as in 17 or 34 (9mm) models will offer some advantages. However, GSSF is one day and your Glock will likely be performing in some role at home/range the rest of the year, so pick the model while thinking of the big picture.

GSSF matches are pretty tame (aka boring) compared to IDPA or USPSA, but fun. There is a fair chance you can win a Glock, so that adds to the anticipation.

Have fun and show us your Glock!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Don't forget that you can request a certificate from the GSSF to purchase a glock at a major discount from a local law enforcement glock dealer.

As a member,you also qualify to become a certified glock armorer.

The compensated models will have a 'c' after the name... e.g. Glock 23c

Like the illustrious RamRod has said, they're really only good for competition--they actually make it worse for CC IMO due to flash out of the ports hindering night fire and are quite a bit louder.
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I would also hate to fire one from the shoulder/close to the chest in a CQB type situation. I am sure your face would not be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by glockstock View Post
    The compensated models will have a 'c' after the name... e.g. Glock 23c

Like the illustrious RamRod has said, they're really only good for competition--they actually make it worse for CC IMO due to flash out of the ports hindering night fire and are quite a bit louder.

No the 34 and 35 aren't compensated, but the do have a lighter trigger. Unless you're sure you want to be placed in the "competition" class stick with a 17 or 22.

Thanks All. OK I will stay away from G34 and 35 and figure out if I want a 17/19 or 22/23 to compliment my Ruger SR9 and Sig P232 (choices, choices). No "C" model for me. Yes, I did manage to request the "LE Pricing" coupon from GSSF but thanks for reminding me. I will post some pics once I pick up the plastic gun. Thanks again for all the advice. This is a valuable forum.
    Range Rat
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
    Don't forget that you can request a certificate from the GSSF to purchase a glock at a major discount from a local law enforcement glock dealer.

As a member,you also qualify to become a certified glock armorer.
    High Altitude, did you take the Armorer course? I was very interested to do that. If you took it, could you describe what you learned and if you think it was worthwhile?
    Thanks
    Certified Glock Armorer

Well, wait a second. You can use a G34 or G35 in IDPA and USPSA too. They have advantages over the standard full size model (I don't know if it's worth $100 more, but they do!)

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    Well, wait a second. You can use a G34 or G35 in IDPA and USPSA too. They have advantages over the standard full size model (I don't know if it's worth $100 more, but they do!)

Dan
    Hi Dan,
    I know, I was originally thinking of these competition size pistols but I may want to carry the new Glock at times and not sure these would be suitable. Will check them all out Monday at my LGS and try to come to some conclusion. What with my current pistols SR9 and Sig P232, not sure if I want a gun that's bigger than the Ruger, same size as Ruger but in 40 s&w, or in between Ruger and li'l Sig. Such big decisions.
    Certified Glock Armorer

VIP Member
    +1 on the fact that GSSF matches are VERY basic, but they're still a great way to get started. I like the fact that they have Glock armourers there to give your Glock a once over for free. The first one I attended the armourer took apart my G21, and stared at it for a while. He then looked up at me and asked "Has this seen a lot of heavy use?". I answered in the affirmative and he proceeded to replace just about every internal part (short of the barrel) all at no charge other than my match fee.
    If you go, be sure to say hello to Scott Gilbertson, the match director. He's a big cigar fan and I've promised him a Cuban stogie next match I go to.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    +1 on the fact that GSSF matches are VERY basic, but they're still a great way to get started. I like the fact that they have Glock armourers there to give your Glock a once over for free. The first one I attended the armourer took apart my G21, and stared at it for a while. He then looked up at me and asked "Has this seen a lot of heavy use?". I answered in the affirmative and he proceeded to replace just about every internal part (short of the barrel) all at no charge other than my match fee.
    If you go, be sure to say hello to Scott Gilbertson, the match director. He's a big cigar fan and I've promised him a Cuban stogie next match I go to.
    OK I will look for him. The first GSSF match I will attend is in June Anniston AL. Should have my new Glock by then. I have totally ruled out the G34/35 as they are explicitly NOT for carry due to light trigger pull (3.5 pounds I think) and I want a Glock that can be used for CC.
    Certified Glock Armorer

VIP Member
    Become a Glock fan and you'll find they're just like potato chips. You can't have just one!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links