Falling out of love with a gun.

This is a discussion on Falling out of love with a gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It still has a place in my CC plans, but the S&W 642 is not going to do it. I just need more gun. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falling out of love with a gun.

It still has a place in my CC plans, but the S&W 642 is not going to do it. I just need more gun. I know I will still carry it often (say at the office) but when on the road, I need something more.

I have been carrying my full size Glock 31 with .357 Sig for a while. It is still my go to gun, always joins me at the range, it is the car gun, the home gun, it is the handgun I want in my hand in a gun fight (well it or a shotgun).

Then I started carrying everyday. The full-size Glock, became a choir. So I buy a S&W 642, bought a pocket carry holster for the right pocket, and I it has been good. So easy, I was in love. Now I'm just tired having so many of my other items in my left pocket (and I just don't like the revolver IWB, if I'm going to carry that way, I think there are better capacity options to consider).

I don't know how, but I have started to find, for me, the Glock is easier to carry (just not conceal). My biggest suprise it that I'm more confident with the revolver in a winter coat (so easy to access) then the Glock. Sometimes a coat gets in the way of other carry options, but the revolver has proven to be easy to CC and very handy. This is the exact opposite result I wanted. The revolver has become my winter gun (I thought my Glock would be the winter gun).

It is a problem with application. While it is easier to conceal the Glock in winter, it is harder to draw. If you put the Glock in the coat, it is like carrying a brick on one side of your coat. No problem with the revolver. In fact, I think the revolver is the perfect coat carry (esp as stated in other threads, you can easily shoot a revolver while still in a coat pocket).

For various reasons, I've got one more chance to get this right this year. I think I'm going for the sub-compact G33 (tomorow, if it is in stock). Maybe I need to consider a belly band or ankle holster for the revolver first.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Its like a midlife crisis! The only real answer that I see is to go out and get a shiny new gun to make you feel better. Actually, the guys at the gun shop called me and asked me to pass on to you that your wife called them up earlier and told them that you were allowed to buy whatever you wanted!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

It can happen from time to time. Usually that's due to the gun coming from an infatuation ordeal first. Then you start looking around for something better. It happened to me and my Glock 21 about a year and a half ago. I got a SIG P220 SAO to replace her. I've got a top of the line model now, and she'll always have my love.

Oh just get the G33, You know you want it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Just carry an M14 with a trenchcoat.

It has stopping power!

Seriously Look at the Walther PPS. I love mine.

VIP Member
    I'd go for a "top of the line" model, as Ram Rod said. Go get a Sig P229 SAS or P239 SAS. You won't ever "fall out of love" with either of those.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I have the same problem with 1911's and Sig's. Like them both too much.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Maybe I need to consider a belly band or ankle holster for the revolver first.

Try it you just might like it, I did and carry that way often now. The ankle holster is way to hard to get to for me now, when I was much younger I used to carry that way from time to time though. The ankle holster draws a lot more attention when going for it to.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I know the feeling. I keep finding new guns all the time that I like. I have three that I carry and there are two more on the wish list that would also fill that bill. Its getting to the point that CCW are getting to be like part of the wardrobe. Its warm today so its casual shorts and t-shirt so I carry the .38 in my pocket. Tomorrow it might be a coat and tie so its a shoulder holster with the Springfield.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

best price I could find on a G33 $509...1 week wait...I'm thinking about it...nice thing about .357 Sig, rare enough that you can still find them available without much wait.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I do that from time to time. I open the safe and it normally goes something like this.."Ohhh my XD!!" or G23 or 642 or SP101. I get in a habit of carrying one and then all of the sudden I pick another one and I'm like a kid in a candy store again.
    God Bless America!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    It can happen from time to time. Usually that's due to the gun coming from an infatuation ordeal first. Then you start looking around for something better. It happened to me and my Glock 21 about a year and a half ago. I got a SIG P220 SAO to replace her. I've got a top of the line model now, and she'll always have my love.
    Replace "gun" with "woman" everywhere in this thread and you will have a very strong set of life lessons. I learned he hard way.

You may have something there WilliamWallace. Been with both my wife and my favorite concealed carry gun since the mid 1970s.

In the winter...why not carry both?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You need a G33 my friend. Once you carry one, you'll never want to be without it. Try Glock Talk classifieds...I found mine there for $340 with only 50 rounds down the pipe.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links