The Balance thread

The Balance thread

This is a discussion on The Balance thread within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got to make this first post quick, I have to get ready for work. We got some active shooter force on force training to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Balance thread

Administrator

The Balance thread

I got to make this first post quick, I have to get ready for work. We got some active shooter force on force training to do today... I'm the BG.

Anyway, Pistol Balance... I've mentioned it a few times and have had some inquiry's from some wanting to know more. Here it is in a nutshell;

When I pick up a pistol, I want the bulk of the weight to be low in the pistol toward the center or even rearward. Now, this would seem easy because of the magazine weight of a loaded pistol, buts its really not.
    It has something to do with bore axis as well; but a lot of that depends on the weight distribution of the gun as well. You can get away with a high axis if the weight is lower and more rearward.
    Having the weight and axis set in the way I described allows for a much more natural pointing ability as well as faster shooting potential.

Here is a case of extremes to check out... Next time you are in a gun shop, handling a XDm and a 228, G19/23 or my new found infatuation, a CZ 75.

And then we have the balance of my eight rules in choosing a combat pistol to talk about....
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I agree, I have a Sig P220, and it's balance is really good. IMO..... My friend has a Taurus 24/7pro, that gun feels really top/front heavy. I can get back on target much faster with my well balanced gun thatn his.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    Yup. The 220 is an excellent design.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Very good topic. For me, when I pickup a handgun it should not require me tilting it either way in the "aim" position. With a full mag it should want to feel centered. Now here's the flip side, it should feel more or less centered with no mag either. Granted with no mag, the weight (especially on a .45) will change significantly, but if the firearm was designed with care it should feel fairly balanced on empty as well.

Administrator
    Exactly. Empty it should feel balanced. The weight being in the mag well should make a difference.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Exactly. Empty it should feel balanced. The weight being in the mag well should make a difference.
    Damn you..... this thread actually has me itching to go to my safe and recheck balances and compare them on all my handguns so that I can come back and say "this is the winner" :D

edit: OK, went through couple of them and for the most part as I said most guns feel balanced both with a full mag and no mag. Suprisingly enough my XD 45 4" feels balanced under all conditions: empty, loaded with a light and without the light, though with the light I did fel a slight shift in where the center of mass was. For a polymer gun that's a fair amount of achievement IMHO. Sig 250 on the other hand without the mag feels very front heavy. I think it might have something to do with the position of the grip and angle of the grip in relation to the slide and slide's weight.

1911's... well.... those hands down are the most balanced IMHO. I grabbed a colt 4" which felt very balanced with and without the mag. SA TRP 5" felt exactly the same. I've also attached the light to it and it didn't seem to make any difference at all.

Why is balance important someone might ask.... IMHO it's because when you bring a firearm on target you already have it pointed as an extension of you in the direction of the target and it's not trying to point down or up due to it's weight distribution thus making you have to readjust.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    Damn you..... this thread actually has me itching to go to my safe and recheck balances and compare them on all my handguns so that I can come back and say "this is the winner" :D
    Go do it... it would be interesting to read what you think.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Balance is why I like revolvers they point better than autos excpt for a P-08 Luger
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Go do it... it would be interesting to read what you think.
    LOL well, as you can see above I just did it with couple of 'em. So in a nutshell I think that the 1911 platform wins hands down. The XD does pretty good in the group, the Sigs have a really beefy slide which shifts the weight forward a bit. I don't own any Glocks so I can't comment on 'em.

Balance is part of what I love about the P11. It balances very well and with a full mag in it it feels like much more gun that it is. I couldnt go any smaller.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

The Hi-Power does it for me as does the full sized 1911.

Some folks claim the P220 is too tall. I liked those I've fired.

In revolvers I have little use for full-lugged barrels. Though I have a 6-inch Colt Python I just don't care for that much weight at the front.

So what I am taking from this discussion so far is that every one feels a different "perfect" balance. for me the XDm balance quite a bit high empty but when loaded down with 16+1 of .40 feels pretty solid in hand.

Sig 229 is heavy back above the trigger or more centerline. It doesnt change much when loaded. The whole thing is a bit heavy which feels good to me.

My glock 22 balances heavy to the front empty but just a little bit to far balanced forward when loaded.

There are alot of factors at play when it comes to finding "good" balance. How strong are you? do you shoot regularly? Pocket gun, hip gun or night stand gun? All three?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

The balance issue has gone around a bit on the Sig forum also. A lot of folks prefer the balance of the older folded slides over the new stainless ones. Some think the stainless slides are ok on a stainless frame. Others say they are great for competition but too heavy for EDC.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I have a p228 and a G23, so I would say I am a little ahead of the game. I agree with the other poster who mentioned the bad balance on the p250. But my 23 and 228, "just have it". They feel like an extension of my hand.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Hmm...maybe i should carry my 1851 Confederate Navy .44?

what, it IS balanced well?
    kinda slow on the reload though?

Ok...Ok, seriously now. I gotta agree that balance is an issue that many overlook.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links