Shopping for a 9

This is a discussion on Shopping for a 9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going shopping this weekend for a 9mm. I don't have one, and feel that I need one...not sure why, but that's not the point. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for a 9

Shopping for a 9

I'm going shopping this weekend for a 9mm. I don't have one, and feel that I need one...not sure why, but that's not the point. Right now I'm leaning towards the XDm. Glocks are right out because of the ergonomics...they don't work well for me...I'm sure it is a personal flaw but hey, what can I tell ya! I'm not looking for a CC weapon, I have an Ultra Carry for that. I want something that is enjoyable to shoot, more accurate than I'll ever be, and something I will not regret buying a year after I get it. AND...I don't want to spend a small fortune on it...something in the price range of the XDm is what I'm looking for. Any input would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

I was wanting a new 9mm and today went up to the local gun store and picked up a XD, its not the M, but it was $150 less then the M, and like you I will not be carrying this gun, it will only be a range dog. I just got home with and have not got to shoot it yet, but when I do their will be a range report and some photos, have fun shopping.
    NRA Member

TGC, if you don't like GLOCK, take a look at M&P. I don't own one, but if I weren't so heavily invested in GLOCK, I certainly would. The ones I've shot are really nice, especially after a visit to Bruce Gray. Phenominal trigger after that, and much better than XD or XDm out of the box.

M&Ps sit nice and low in the hand (the bore axis with XD is on the third story--even higher than HKs), and that hurts shot recovery.

As a final note--ergonomics? What ergonomics--the trigger? <g> If you mean the much-ballyhooed grip angle, you get used to it. After 15 years with 1911s and HKs, it took a while, but I now see it as an advantage and I have happily adjusted. IMHO, the grip angle is the only thing that GLOCK has on the M&P, otherwise, it all tilts Smith's way.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

If you can find one , Browning Hi-Power.

Quote Originally Posted by TGC View Post
    AND...I don't want to spend a small fortune on it...something in the price range of the XDm is what I'm looking for. Any input would be appreciated.
    Just curious. I see you own a Bersa 380. Have you considered the Bersa 9mm? I wouldn't try to talk you out of the XDm but the Bersa 9mm looks pretty interesting too.
    "To win at warfare you must kill the enemy", Clausewitz

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo_79 View Post
    Just curious. I see you own a Bersa 380. Have you considered the Bersa 9mm? I wouldn't try to talk you out of the XDm but the Bersa 9mm looks pretty interesting too.
    I have a Bersa 380 now and have found and am considering the 9mm. For the price they are hard to beat.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

This may be a little out of the price range you are considering but what about a 1911 in 9mm? My carry piece is a commander size 1911 in traditional 45 but the 9mm is great fun at the range. The price might be a drawback though.
    Tom

Glock 19
    Kimber Gold Combat Stainless II
    Wilson Combat Tactcial Supergrade
    Wilson Combat Tactical Supergrade Compact

The Hi-Power is the 9mm I take seriously.

I bought a sw9ve a year ago and have never had a problem. It is the original point and click interface and feels like an extension of my hand.

VIP Member
    Take a look at the CZ line.

I sold a XD after owning 2 of them and bought a SW9VE. It is an amazing gun for right at $300. Maybe the old ones were crap but I would put this up against my XD in accuracy and reliability.

I like the Glock, they fit my hand swell. I also like the M&P. But I have not heard anything bad about the XD.

Suggestions

If I were shopping for a plastic 9mm that wasn't a Glock, I'd look at the Beretta PX4, the Walther P99 or the H&K P2000. These all have great ergonomics and good looks. Here is the P2000:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I'm doing the same but I am looking for one to carry. I am thinking of a Kel Tec P-11 but I went snooping arouns some pawn shops today and found a few nice Glocks, 3 sigs and 3 S&W's all in the $450 range. I am seriously thinking about grabbing a used Sig P229 or Glock19. Heck, it's just a few bucks more. ;)

Distinguished Member
    I am also looking for the same, 2 weeks ago I shot a XD9 and a G17. There was not that much difference in accuracy for me between the two. I went to the range last Sunday to shoot a M&P9 and a CZ 75, but they were full, so I will try again this weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links