Thinking of getting a SIG - Page 3

Thinking of getting a SIG

This is a discussion on Thinking of getting a SIG within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just adding a little mud to the water, but you may also want to look at a Sig 245 if you might want something smaller ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Just adding a little mud to the water, but you may also want to look at a Sig 245 if you might want something smaller than full size. A .45 built on a similar size frame as the 239.

Well, I guess I should add my comments here, even though you've already heard from our Sig Sage, Chris.

At any rate, I acquired a used Sig P220 a couple months ago. It has very little wear (looked like it had less than 1,000 rounds through it) for $485 (with stock sights and grips). The thing that sold me on (besides all the positive reviews and Sig's reputation) was the grip. It fits my hands like a glove (even better now that I've added Hogue grips). It is the first .45 (and double action) that I've ever fired and my second time at the range (after only 100 rounds the first time) I was doing 3" groups at 7 meters (without sights -I'm an intuitive shooter). The action is great and I can even rapid fire it at 10 meters with reasonable accuracy (about 8" groups, all center body which I'm sure will improve with more practice).

Just the thoughts of a young shooter. Good luck with your new gun!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Administrator

Exodus

Thanks For The Addition!
    Always appreciated!

i have a SS 220 w/night sights. shoots fairly well but it seems bulky when I try and carry it. I prefer the slick feeling of my dehorned commander. I also shoot the commander alot better. I guess its all about what your used to shooting. still a great gun though will always have a place in the safe.........until something I can't resist comes along

the only thing that was making me think twice about my para purchase was a used blued Sig 245, but that stainless steel was just calling my name...

I just picked up a Sig P245. Its feels great in my hands(small hands). I'll end up carrying it off-duty once I get into a PD.
    I haven't shot it yet, I'll find my way to the range in a couple of days.
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldDawg
    Need all you SIG peoples advice, First please understand I have carried a 1911 for more years then I care to count, Have 1000s of rounds downrange from 1911 style guns & this has caused me problems in the past. I purchased a Glock as a second CC weapon, It was to wide for IWB carry in my opinion, I hated the trigger, & well lets just say I gave it a good shake because I figured I owed it that before I kept bad mouthing it, It was a great gun Just not for me( Plastic is made for Fischer Price toys ... Not Hand Guns.)

Now to the SIG.. I am looking at an older P220 from what I hear it is as reliable as a good 1911 & it appears to be about the same size or smaller for carry, How is it in width compared to a 1911. As far as the controls how much of a change will it be.

This gun will be a second carry gun to carry when my primary is at the shop or just because I want to carry something different ( i shgould probably just stick with the 1911s but what the H... I want something different.

Any Advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
    OldDawg you sound a lot like me. But I had a chance to shoot a Sig 229 the other day at the range. Man that thing was smooth, barely felt any recoil, it didn't feel like a .40 at all. No harsh muzzle flip at all.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I went to order the Sig Stainless P226 in 9mm, the dealer here said at least a 2 month wait for new orders, sigh

On another note I hear a rumour that Sigs in .40cal can be fitted with a 9mm barrel and use either the same mag or different, any truth to this?

Assistant Administrator
    I hear a rumour that Sigs in .40cal can be fitted with a 9mm barrel and use either the same mag or different, any truth to this?
    No go Colin - if you order a 226 for .40 then you can fit a 357 SIG barrel and use same mags - or vice versa. 9mm is 9mm - no options to change.

Sad a two month wait - amazingly my 226 ST thru my local guy was in my hot little hands about four days after ordering!!! That was not a huge lot over one year ago.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

erh
    OldDawg - You CANNOT go wrong with a P220, or any other Sig for that matter...
    May I suggest you get in touch with James:
    www.ordnanceoutsellers.com
    "Top Notch Guy" - Highly recommended by me and many others..!
    CPO deals are great, as well as new gun deals

(erh)

I'm planning on getting a Sig 229 SAS
    "You have enemies ? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life" Winston Churchill

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use" Galileo Galilei

I just picked up a 245 a couple weeks ago. Becasue I have been busy I have only had a chance to put about 100 rounds down range. It was NIB and I had a couple of FTFeeds. I partially attribute this to break in, but after doing some research it appears the followers for the mag might be causing the issue. I called Sig and they have sent me new followers for the mags that came with it free of charge (one thing I must say about Sig is they have EXCELLENT customer service).

VIP Member
    The P220 Carry line looks very interesting! Especially their SAS and Equinox.

I was completely jealous this past Tuesday. I had to go to my regional office area to do our quarterly quals. We shoot P229's or P239's in .40 S&W. Shooting with me was an SA with the U.S. Office of Personnel Management, Office of Inspector General. They just got issued brand spanking new P229R DAKs, also in .40 S&W.....AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH! I wish my agency would transition to that gun....or better yet, to that gun in 357 SIG.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erh
    OldDawg - You CANNOT go wrong with a P220, or any other Sig for that matter...
    May I suggest you get in touch with James:
    www.ordnanceoutsellers.com
    "Top Notch Guy" - Highly recommended by me and many others..!
    CPO deals are great, as well as new gun deals

(erh)
    + 1 on both counts...

BTW, Sigs are to autos as Rugers are to revolvers when it comes to durability.... Built like tanks....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Let us know how it goes.as I was impressed with the one and only Sig that I shot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links