Thinking of getting a SIG

This is a discussion on Thinking of getting a SIG within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need all you SIG peoples advice, First please understand I have carried a 1911 for more years then I care to count, Have 1000s of ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting a SIG

Need all you SIG peoples advice, First please understand I have carried a 1911 for more years then I care to count, Have 1000s of rounds downrange from 1911 style guns & this has caused me problems in the past. I purchased a Glock as a second CC weapon, It was to wide for IWB carry in my opinion, I hated the trigger, & well lets just say I gave it a good shake because I figured I owed it that before I kept bad mouthing it, It was a great gun Just not for me( Plastic is made for Fischer Price toys ... Not Hand Guns.)

Now to the SIG.. I am looking at an older P220 from what I hear it is as reliable as a good 1911 & it appears to be about the same size or smaller for carry, How is it in width compared to a 1911. As far as the controls how much of a change will it be.

This gun will be a second carry gun to carry when my primary is at the shop or just because I want to carry something different ( i shgould probably just stick with the 1911s but what the H... I want something different.

Any Advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    The Sig P220 is a fine weapon. I have carried a 220 in the past and found it a good weapon. If you truly like the 1911 style and like a double action, you might look into the ParaOrd LDA's. But you will not go wrong with the 220. However, my only negative with Sigs as a whole, is that they are the most rust prone weapon I have ever carried. Just keep it cleaned and lightly oiled and you should be fine. I have test fired the DAK triggers on Sigs and like them alot and would personally purchase that over the DA/SA trigger so as to avoide the transitation.

Hope that helps.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Assistant Administrator
    Dawg - I am assuming here ''older'' still includes what I regard as the current std manual of arms. No safety of course as we are DA/SA. Decocker is the fwd lever on left and slide locker lever on left is to rear from that. Very significantly different from 1911.

Width? - well, slide on 220 is almost exactly 1" - a 1911 (Sistema in my case) is 0.9". The SIG grip too will seem a tad ''fatter'' IMO.

Sorry pic is only right side.

After that is my 226 (pre CT grips) - just to show a left side of a SIG and controls. Fwd item is take-down lever.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

If Chris cant answer it on a sig or Qk no one Can me im fairly Sig Dumb

The 220s are great shooters........VERY good carry guns for the 45............ kinda bites tht it's a single stack gun tho.....you'll do well if you buy one.....
    The Browning BDA 45 is one of th efirst models to be introduced into the US........Euro mag release.. with lanyard loop.......
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I'll let someone else do the Sig vs. 1911 bit but I picked one up last year and plan to keep it and I'm not really a Sig person. I've just always wanted a 220 because it's a classic design. I have other guns I'd rather CCW but that's simply personal preference.

Assistant Administrator
    Well Tangle too could probably comment, as could rfurtkamp.

Not sure what else to add right now - but fire questions as they crop up. Leaving aside manual of arms I do think you'd find the 220 a very nice shooter - easy feel and accurate.
    Chris - P95

opps i forgot about rfurtkamp sorry about that

For some reason when I think fighting gun... 3 guns come up... Hi Power, 1911 & Sig 220. I have the Hi Power, I carry the 1911 & I think I will get a 220 in the next couple weeks , what can I expect to have to pay for one. & what do I need to look for, I have never owned,fired or really seen a Sig 220.
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

Are you buying new or used?

Mine was used and while it has lots of holster wear, the parts that really matter are just fine and it shoots just like it should. Mine's a beat up old cop gun that was also shot a lot, and it has lots of character and runs like a top.

It's a fairly rugged design, I can't imagine there's an Achilles heel you should look for. And I'd imagine SIG would take care of it in any event.

Assistant Administrator
    rfurtkamp might be best to advise re price and what to check on.

I am gonna stab here and say you may be looking at $450 - $550 region on price, tho lower if an older well worn piece. Doubt tho much lower than $400.

It is said that even if an older SIG "rattles'' with slide - not to be too distressed. They do by repute go on for many many 1,000's of rounds.

Do see if you can lay hands on one and even better get to shoot it - that is the acid test and I think you will like it a lot.

To add - not sure if CDNN police trade-ins included 220's but some of those CDNN SIG's were seemingly in great condition and, who worries about holster wear.
    Chris - P95

will be buying used, The best way to see if a new handgun will work is to buy one & use it.... Just like I did with the Glock after a month of carry & 2000 rounds I decided I didnt like it & Sold it. It seems I always go back to the trusty 1911. Well p220 here I come.. Hope it fares better the the Glocks & others I have tried because I really like the looks of the pistol....

The 220s seel for around 525.00 to 650.00 as they hold their value.............prices below are for the ones we have
    NOT a sales pitch here, but a pricing guide for you..and to also allow you to see they hold their value and are still in the desirablility circle

94427 SIG SAUER P220 HANDGUN: PISTOL 45 ACP $525.00 MATTE\ALLOY DA\SA DECOCK ONLY NIGHT SIGHTS,4.25in., 90%
    95911 SIG SAUER P220 HANDGUN: PISTOL 45 ACP $565.00 4.25in.,W/CASE, NIGHT SIGHTS 96%
    86051 SIG SAUER P220 HANDGUN: PISTOL 45 ACP $600.00 .,4.4in.,HOGUE GRIP, BOX, X MAGS 93%
    93602 SIG SAUER P220 HANDGUN: PISTOL 45 ACP $625.00 4.25in.,UNFIRED IN BOX 99%

87257 SIG SAUER P220 HANDGUN: PISTOL 45 ACP $670.00 ALLOY\BLUE BBL\SYN GRIPS NIGHT SIGHTS DA\SA DECOCK ONLY,4.5in.,W\BOX SP. MAG 95%
    90031 SIG SAUER P220 HANDGUN: PISTOL 45 ACP $695.00 STS\HOGUE W\RAIL FIXED 2-DOT SIGHTS DECOCK ONLY,4.25in. BLUED,W\BOX,SP. MAG 95%
    81689 SIG SAUER P220 HANDGUN: PISTOL 45 ACP $750.00 UNFIRED,5in.,CUSTOM PKG. 100%
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Assistant Administrator
    Dawg - if you genuinely hate the gun should you get one - and allowing for familiarization with controls (assuming too you are not a lefty) - I'll send you a box of shells.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ahhh - well following Bob's post - OK I was pitching a bit low on prices but then I forgot to add, those with night sights usually push up resale price some.

My pricing was partly based on some I'd seen here at a Gander Mtn - and one well used was a mere $450.
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Dawg - if you genuinely hate the gun should you get one - and allowing for familiarization with controls (assuming too you are not a lefty) - I'll send you a box of shells.
    Hey wait i generally hated a the sig controls can i get in on that deal?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links