Glock 23 magazine release extension

This is a discussion on Glock 23 magazine release extension within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recommendations on magazine release extensions. Standard factory version is just about impossible to engage to release a magazine without turning the gun sideways to press ...

Recommendations on magazine release extensions. Standard factory version is just about impossible to engage to release a magazine without turning the gun sideways to press the release, when your shooting one handed. Two handed you have to use your other thumb or hand to release the magazine. I know Glock makes two other releases that are extensions and several other manufacturers make extensions. What's the best one for a Glock 23? My concern is not whether it will work it's putting on an extension that is going to be sticking out farther and thus might be engaged by accident leaving you to pull your gun and have the magazine not engage or worse fall on the floor. Not a pleasant scenario in a self defense situation. HELP.

Arotek

I have an Aro-tek "sure touch" mag release on my Glock 23. It costs $59 and involves enlarging the original mag release hole, but it works very well.

Arotek Sure Touch mag release web page

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

That is the question. Are you willing to cut part of the frame to fit an enlarged and/or extended mag release?

I just got the Glock extended release. it works just fine and I've never had an issue with accidentally releasing the magazine.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Have you ever tried the Glock factory extended mag release? It might tear into your skin if you carry IWB depending on your rig and carry position. I do have a factory extended release on my G27 however, and it works rather well for me. On my G19 however, it causes much pain when carrying, and with my activities and carry methods....an inadvertent mag release is quite possible IMO.

Hmm, this is a good thread. I have G27, and I just added a factory Glock mag. extension today. I will have to carry, and see if it bothers me. I have an MTAC holster, so I would think it shouldn't, but I will see..
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

glock has a short and a long mag button. i took all of my long ones off and put in the short ones. they don't cost much and are well made. easy to put in yourself. the long ones got in the way.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

IMO, extended mag-releases are unnecessary and undesirable on a carry gun. If you have to shift your grip slightly to depress the mag-release, you're less likely to accidentally depress it. The extended ones can also be depressed while in your holster causing you to either lose the mag, or have a malfunction when you try to shoot.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Vickers makes a extended release between the orignal and extended size

Here is an example. No frame mods just drops in

http://tangodown.com/shop/product_in...products_id=59

Item description

Finally, a proper fix for the under-sized factory Glock magazine release. The Vickers Tactical Extended Release is easy to install and made of the same tough polymer as the factory part. Now anyone with average- to small-size hands can release the magazine rapidly without shifting their grip on the weapon. The GMR-001 is mandatory if installing the Crimson Trace lasers, as they attach to the weapon backstrap and further move the strong hand to the rear, away from the release.

Fits Glock models 17,19, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27, 31, 32, 33, 34, and 35.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    IMO, extended mag-releases are unnecessary and undesirable on a carry gun. If you have to shift your grip slightly to depress the mag-release, you're less likely to accidentally depress it. The extended ones can also be depressed while in your holster causing you to either lose the mag, or have a malfunction when you try to shoot.
    I'll give the flip side. I carry a 19 or a 26. I shoot a Glock 34 in competition. I have the extended ones on all my Glocks. I've never had a malfunction or accidentally depressed the release either during competition or while carrying. it is all how you are trained.

I will grant you that I carry OWB for all and all the holsters I've ever used had plenty of room for the release. Maybe I'm just lucky.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I have the Vickers mag catch in all of my Glocks. It adds about 2mm to the length and makes a big difference. I have never had a accidental activation of the catch with any holsters or carry modes.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

The stock release is too short and the extended is a little to long and sharp for daily carry/personal defense. I just grind down the extended release to about half the distsnce between the stock and the extended. Then texture it. It works well for me.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Links