Anyone Have Experience With a S&W Model 340PD Revolver - HIVIZ®

This is a discussion on Anyone Have Experience With a S&W Model 340PD Revolver - HIVIZ® within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good Afternoon All: Looking to finish off my carry needs with, perhaps, a small frame revolver. My dealer has a S&W 638 that could easily ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Have Experience With a S&W Model 340PD Revolver - HIVIZ®

Good Afternoon All:

Looking to finish off my carry needs with, perhaps, a small frame revolver. My dealer has a S&W 638 that could easily be adopted....but then I saw the 340PD-HVIZ. I'm wondering if the ability to have the option of .357 in a snubby over the .38 +P is of any advantage? I know the 340PD is made of the ultra rare Scandium material.....but does a guy benefit from the material and the .357 ammo??

Thanks in advance for any information / advice.

Wayne

Wayne, don't even think about buying one until you've shot it. You cannot put follow ups rapidly on target with these. The recoil with .357's out of these lightweight 13oz guns are brutal and practice will be painful. They only serve one useful purpose, with one advantage and that is pocket or ankle carry. Five rounds of 357 out of one is all you want! 38 is better, but you will like and be more proficient with a snub weighing more than 20oz.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Strongly disagree with warmon - I have a 340, and fire 50 -100 rounds .357 158 grain once a week at the range with it. Rapid fire? no problem. One handed shooting? no problem. I like the extra power that the .357 cartridge provides over .38 or .38+p. Also I can down load to .38 low recoil rounds at home so if my wife needs to use it she can.

On that note - I DO find that the 125 grain Gold dot hollow points I fire as carry ammo do have a sharper kick than the 158 grain in any type of round.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Thanks for the info. guys...I greatly appreciate it! I've not had an opportunity to compare loads. Is there a huge difference between the .357 and .38 +P coming out of a snubby??

My thought was, with the 340, a guy has more options regarding ammo. I.E. .38 spl rounds for the wife...perhaps even +P's but also have the ability to step up to .357.

I realize shooting full house .357's out of a light weight snubby is not something you want to try rapid shooting all afternoon. Just looking for a compact unit with punch.....was hoping to get into something with a round larger than .380.

Thanks Again,

Wayne

I can shoot +p's in my .38 no problem. It's not a range gun by any means, but it doesn't bother me. But then again, I shoot 3 1/2 " 12 gauge and .30`06 rifle...so yea. Shoot it first.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Yes I would shoot it first if you have that option (I dont unless I borrow a buddies) But my 340 with 158 grain rounds is my favorite gun to take to the range. It just reaks of power.

If you have the money to spend for more options I would say go with quality and get a M&P340CT. The laser helps for follow up shots in low light and the CT grips (405's) have a pad on the backstrap that lessens the felt recoil even if you decide not to use the laser, or turn the laser off. If you dont like shooting the .357 rounds the point of aim/point of impact is the same for .357 mag, .38 and .38+P out to about 15 yards. So practice with .28 and carry with .357

I shoot my dads with aftermarket sites and it is time to take it to the range soon, thanks for the reminder :) But with all due respect USMC must be an ogre! I am 5'9" 185 (not the strongest) and .357's are punishing.

When he bought it the guy behind the counter took the box of .357's back after five shots saying that is normal and standard for him to switch them out for .38's with the 340. Also another time he accidently gave me a box of .357's and I thought they were some hot .38's till I checked the box after shooting five, both zero's reloads.

Get a heavier gun for .357's also switching calibers can be a problem since rings are made with .38's and cause extraction probs with .357's see above they were tough to get out too. Another thing I do is a drop of lube in each chamber before the range session and they extract great for the 50 or so I can handle at a time. Hand is still a little sore but worth it.

Thanks again guys...some really good information for me to use...to make my decision. I greatly appreciate the input since I live in a rural area...my gun dealer doesn't have a range to test fire...so, I have to make my decision before shooting the pistol.

Wayne

I had one of these, and it was a monster to control with .357 factory loads. The cylinder also would lock after firing, and it was definitely a lemon. I sold it after two weeks and firing about 18 rounds. On the other hand, my Taurus Mod. 850 CIA Titanium is a sweet shooter with .38 Spec.+P Gold Dots.

My friend has one...to quote him "five 357s hurt worse than if you were to hit youself in the hand with a wooden mallet" Enough for me.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

LOL - I wouldnt QUITE classify myself as an ogre - I aint pretty, but I aint big either. It may come down to hand size - I am 5'7" and about 170 pounds. I wear extra small gloves so it may just be that I have the magic hand size to comfortably shoot a J frame with .357

Now somethign to really consider - Like I stated above the Crimson trace grips make a huge difference. I would recomend the 305 model. It has an extension for the grip so you can get more of your ham hocks around it. It also has a pad on the back to help save the hand.

try this

http://laser4gun.com/images/LG-305.jpg

Or go to the crimson trace website and check it out. I personally have the LG405 model, but the LG305 might be better suited for other people.

Thanks again...To all who responded to my question...I really appreciate the info. Just got back from the dealer...I did a lot of comparing...he had a 642? Centenial Airweight and some titanium Taurus's. I had done some reading up on the .38 spl +p loads...and the arguments that the 9mm luger probably has more power coming from a subcompact versus the snubbie. Anyway...for the size , weight and performance..I ended up getting a Glock G27 ( Also ordered a conversion barrel and G26 mags so that I can choose to carry either 9mm or .40 S&W.) I've got a few other Glocks...have become very comfortable using them and feel I can probably conceal the 27 almost as easily as a snubbie.

Anyway, Thank you all once again...Really appreciate the valuable insight and experience you guys have shared.

Have a great weekend!

Wayne

Maybe alot of you are far more recoil sensitive than I am but a friend recently bought a M&P340 and we shot it the other and it just wasn't that bad. Given everything I'd read about them I was expecting a fire breathing dragon and, while the recoil was stiff, it was not painful. The gun came straight back into the web of your hand and was actually pretty easy to shoot fast. We were also shooting my 240gr lead semi wadcutters out of my Bulldog .44spl and honestly the recoil was about the same.

I'm sure you'll be happy with your Glock. My BUG (and most of the time gun) is a scandium framed S&W snubby in 9mm. Better ballistics than a .38spl but much less recoil than a .357mag.

Senderofan - You gotta pick what makes you happy! good luck with the Glocks, they should serve you well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links