Do you have a bias AGAINST a certain make?

This is a discussion on Do you have a bias AGAINST a certain make? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm curious. I always read about the guns we all love...the Sig guys, the Glock folks, the S&W people...but is there a make that you ...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a bias AGAINST a certain make?

Do you have a bias AGAINST a certain make?

I'm curious. I always read about the guns we all love...the Sig guys, the Glock folks, the S&W people...but is there a make that you simply refuse to buy...or for that matter even refuse to consider buying? I'm talking about well known reputable makers. And if you do, why do you have that bias against it?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    I hate anything Hi-Point and that is all.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

VIP Member
    VERY interesting question.

I don't have any particular bias, but I am curious to see what some of our estimeed members have to say.

To said members, please be specific as to your dis-like(s).

I won't buy a Glock or a Kahr.

They both get 1 strike for being striker fired

The Glock gets 1 strike for being plastic and another for completely lacking class.

The Kahr gets 2 strikes for the Moony connection.

I could get a new Kahr for under cost (EPP connection) and chose something else at near retail.

I know they are great guns and I will most certainly be in the minority here but I have a bias against Glocks. I çan't explain it rationally, I just do.

Not really

I have shot many different guns over the years, and bought a couple too but when it comes down to it I usually will shoot anything within reason. I won't buy a gun without shooting it first, there is always a friend or someone willing to let you put some rounds through what you are looking.

Hi Points always get bashed and lets face it they are fun to bash but they work and are a gun not my top choice but I have shot them.

+1 on the Kahrs.

I will NOT support anything to do with Sun Yung Moon and the Unification Church. Not now. Not ever.

That's just me.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

It takes a lot to get me to buy a specific brand of gun... my first was a Taurus and that did not go so well, so I did a lot more research and bought my Ruger GP100... great gun... then SIG's, Glocks and only last week did I buy my first Springfield XDm9.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Personally, I have no makes of firearm that I'm dead set against. I look at everything with an open mind. If it works, it works.

I will admit that I am actively trying NOT to buy a Glock. Now, before all the glock fans get all fired up. I didn't say I don't like them. I think they are a wonderful breed. I usually recommend them to anyone asking me about getting into handguns.

However...

I admit this is a pretty superficial reason for not getting a glock but, I just don't like the image some people cast of you when you say you have a Glock.

I said it's a stupid reason, now leave it alone.

....eventually though, I will have 1 or 7 of them (resistance is futile)
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

I'm uninterested in any Glock due to the trigger and the polymer. Supremely overrated handgun in my view. Also, there's something to be said for refusing to own what the "herd" deems best. Everybody and their uncle falls all over themselves about the Glock which is off-putting to me. There's less there than meets the eye.

Don't like Ruger. Don't want my guns to be built like tanks. Tired of that most ancient of worn out cliches. The SP101 is the best thing they've come up with but have no use for the rest of their clunk handguns. Have owned various Ruger rifles and shotguns and seen many more in use. All are uninspiring. The Ruger Red Label shotgun was a heavy, ill balanced club. I was glad to see it go. Ruger 77 rifles don't shoot all that well in my opinion. I'm down to a single Ruger 77V .220 Swift that does group well yet there's many features about it that I don't care for including cast receiver which is rough, aluminum alloy floor plate, and crummy factory trigger that won't really adjust to be acceptable.

The one Ruger product I'd still like to try out is the No. 1 rifle.

I don't like Fords ... that count ?

To me, it's a matter of preference , rather than dislikes. Some I don't like because they don't fit my hand size or other things, but they are still good guns.

I don't really like any of the polymer pistols, just personal preference. I won't buy a hi-point. I have never found a Glock that I enjoy shooting, they just don't do it for me I guess.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Cobra, Davis, Jennings.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

I know this is weird and I am not sure why, but I really dislike XDs. I am not sure why. I have not shot one, but have fondled one. I guess they are just an ugly glock I think. I know it is weird, but I cannot explain it.

well, im sure ill get jumped for this, but i will never own a Glock, or a 9mm. back in my youth i listned to rap, i hate to admit it but i did, and for some reason the glock and the 9mm round stuck out to me, and for that reason alone, i will never own one, now i will say that i will recomend them as a darn good pistol to anyone else, but i will never own one myself

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Links